Inaccessible_boot_device after loading Critical Update

jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

After loading a Critical update when I rebooted the server, I get a blue
screen saying STOP" 0X0000007B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. The system worked
fine prior. I've already had NT setup attempt repair. Can anyone help?

Jeremy wrote:
> After loading a Critical update when I rebooted the server, I get a blue
> screen saying STOP" 0X0000007B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. The system worked
> fine prior. I've already had NT setup attempt repair. Can anyone help?

All this message says is that there is a problem with the
boot sector. It might be corruption of the boot track itself
or the boot track cannot be located. Anything more to the
BSID Stop Error message? And what was the Critical Update that
was installed?

Try creating a boot disk. For the floppy to successfully boot Windows NT the
disk must contain the "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a Windows NT
machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so the NT boot sector gets written to the floppy),
and copy Windows NT versions of ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it.
Edit the boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the machine you wish to
boot. Below is an example of boot.ini. The default is to start the operating
system located on the first partition of the primary or first drive
(drive0). Then drive0 partition 2 and so on.

[boot loader]
timeout=10
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT 0,1"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT 0,2"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT 1,1"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT 1,2"

Another possibility is to try loading the controller driver also from
floppy. For the floppy to successfully boot Windows NT the disk must contain
the "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a Windows NT machine, not a
DOS/Win9x, so the "NT" boot sector gets written to the floppy), then copy
ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it. Edit the boot.ini to give it a
correct ARC path for the machine you wish to boot.

In order for this to work you'll want to change the arc path in boot.ini
from multi syntax to scsi syntax to indicate that Windows NT will load a
boot device driver and use that driver to access the boot partition. Then
also copy the correct manufacturer scsi driver to the floppy but renamed to
ntbootdd.sys

Something like this below;

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows
[operating systems]
scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT 0,1"
scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT 0,2"
scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT 1,1"
scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT 1,2"

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Jeremy" <Jeremy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After loading a Critical update when I rebooted the server, I get a blue
> screen saying STOP" 0X0000007B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. The system
worked
> fine prior. I've already had NT setup attempt repair. Can anyone help?

I've seen this happen if someone is running a boot partition that is larger
than 8 GB and then they install a hotfix that contains a system component
such as NTOSKRNL.EXE. The hotfix ends up putting the new component past the
8 GB boundary, and so the system can't boot.

If this is the problem, then the easiest way to fix this is to defrag the
disk by loading it as the secondary in another machine, or to run Partition
Magic to decrease the size of the partition.