Hotfix 872952 (WinNT support for newer NTFS) ends up break..

I'm wondering if anyone else has used the long-needed Windows NT hotfix
872952, which is intended to allow Win NT machines to use disks which were
auto-upgraded to the newer version of NTFS by Windows 2000+. (This would be
upgrading NTFS from 1.2 to 3.0, or 4.0 to 5.0, depending on how you choose
to label NTFS versions.) Namely, it is intended to correct the dreaded
CHKDSK error, "This NTFS volume was created or modified by a later version
of Windows NT. This version of chkdsk cannot be run on this volume."

Anyway, once I upgraded with that hotfix, it did, in fact, correct the
CHKDSK problem.

However, it then broke AUTOCHK, which is the component that runs CHKDSK at
boot time if you schedule it with "chkdsk /f" or "chkdsk /r". It causes
AUTOCHK to essentially not run at all (it doesn't even give the opportunity
to cancel the AUTOCHK by pressing a key), and there's no error on the screen
nor in the event log. This is very odd since the hotfix does include (and I
verified that it deploys) a new version of AUTOCHK.EXE.

I did do a bunch of playing around and I was able to get AUTOCHK to run if I
used the old AUTOCHK and copied UNTFS2.DLL on top of UNTFS.DLL.
Unfortunately, this would then break the non-boot-time CHKDSK.

It's almost like the AUTOCHK portion of this hotfix wasn't tested since it
seems just plain broken...

Has anyone else had this experience, or gotten it to run without a problem?

Calvin

Hi Taed,

Well - this is all news to me - I was unaware of this KB article, and was under
the mistaken belief the Microsoft had sorted this mess out at SP5 (or was it
SP6a ??)

Does anyone else have any info on this problem? I'll add the page to the KB
reference list at http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au/kb.htm

Hopefully somebody out there has this hotfix and wouldn't mind sharing - I'd
like to keep a copy in my hotfix repository here, but of course, I WON'T be able
to get it from Microsoft now - you'd get the standard 'NT4 is not supported'
mantra from customer support :-(

Calvin.

Maccabee

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
I have the file, but MS put a password on it for some dumb reason, so we need the CORRECT password, not the file ;)