Another SP2 question

I'm currently downloading the SP2 pack from Microsoft (got 2 pc's linked).
Now with the file been rather big, what will happen to XP when the new
service pack is downloaded? Will it delete XP and replace it with this new
version?

As you can probably tell, I'm a bit of a novice

---

The service pack integrates with the installed version of XP, it's an
update, not an upgrade.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Dean Lambert" <dean@nospam.deanlambert.nospam.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in
message news:%23fpPyEagEHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I'm currently downloading the SP2 pack from Microsoft (got 2 pc's linked).
> Now with the file been rather big, what will happen to XP when the new
> service pack is downloaded? Will it delete XP and replace it with this
> new
> version?
>
> As you can probably tell, I'm a bit of a novice
>

> ---

gerry

All the service pack is are updates and enhancements to
the XP operating system. It does not delete XP, it just
installs the updates to make your XP more stable and
provide better security (I hope). Before you install
make sure you do a system restore point so that if
something goes wacky, you can restore back to the point
before the install. Good luck.

(http://www.grisoft.com).
11/08/2004

"Gerry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> All the service pack is are updates and enhancements to
> the XP operating system. It does not delete XP, it just
> installs the updates to make your XP more stable and
> provide better security (I hope). Before you install
> make sure you do a system restore point so that if
> something goes wacky, you can restore back to the point
> before the install. Good luck.

Thank god for that. Had enough problems putting XP on in the first place.
Thanks for your help guys.

---

Dean,
I would recommend to you and all others, before 'Installing' SP2. That you create a "Restore Point" in WinXP. So if anything goes wrong, or there are changes that you don't care for. If you download SP2 through the Update feature/process, you should create a restore point before using this feature/process. This way, you can restore your PC to an earlier working version, and then install the individual components of SP2 that will work with your PC setup.

I predict there'll be a deluge a posts in the MS newsgroups coming soon,

"Just downloaded XP SP2, and my PC, or particular software application, doesn't work anymore!"

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>