tasks started as a Scheduled Task sometimes quits

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

I have a program written by a contract programmer now long since gone. I
schedule the program to run every 30 minutes and it usually works.
Sometimes, though, it just stops and I can't tell why. It's supposed to open
a browser and go to a particular web site. This problem never happens when I
manually start the program. What should I look for?

Donna YaWanna wrote:

> I have a program written by a contract programmer now long since gone. I
> schedule the program to run every 30 minutes and it usually works.
> Sometimes, though, it just stops and I can't tell why. It's supposed to
> open a browser and go to a particular web site. This problem never happens
> when I manually start the program. What should I look for?

hello,

I'll try a wild guess. It always works manually since the desktop will
alwayws be there. When started from Mstask, there might be something
preventing desktop access.

If the App is using sendkeys to drive the opened browser, instability is
very possible.

In general you don't have to open a browser to mine data from a site. It's
not too awkward to write an MsXML/VBScript script that does an HTTP
POST/GET. Then you have the data in a form that's easy to send to CVS or
Excel -- depending on your desired destination. One VBScript could do
everything without opening Excel or MsIE.

Give us more details about what is done to the opened browser window and
maybe someone can help better.

hth,
tlviewer