VOR Pronunciation

How does one correctly pronounce "VOR"?
"vee-oh-are"? "vore"? or is either acceptable?

"Matt B." <sawdust100@charter.net> wrote:

> "vee-oh-are"?

This is how it is said in the US. Not sure about other countries.

--
Peter

crash

pr wrote:
> "Matt B." <sawdust100@charter.net> wrote:
>
>> "vee-oh-are"?
>
> This is how it is said in the US. Not sure about other countries.

Depends on who's listening.....
And, mostly on, who cares............
Which begs the question: who does care and why???
Inquiring minds have to know..... d:->))
Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
Don

CRaSH <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote:

> pr wrote:
>> "Matt B." <sawdust100@charter.net> wrote:
>>
>>> "vee-oh-are"?
>>
>> This is how it is said in the US. Not sure about other countries.
>
> Depends on who's listening.....
> And, mostly on, who cares............
> Which begs the question: who does care and why???

When you hear ATC say "cleared for the VOR 15 approach," what
pronunciation are you listening for? Which begs the question: Will you
hear it?

--
Peter

pr wrote:
> CRaSH <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote:
>

>>pr wrote:

>>>This is how it is said in the US. Not sure about other countries.
>>
>>Depends on who's listening.....
>> And, mostly on, who cares............
>> Which begs the question: who does care and why???
>

> When you hear ATC say "cleared for the VOR 15 approach," what
> pronunciation are you listening for? Which begs the question: Will you
> hear it?

Good point, it is spoken and transmitted as "vee-oh-are".

Best to all,

Perk :)>)

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:38:08 -0500, Matt B. wrote:

> How does one correctly pronounce "VOR"?
> "vee-oh-are"? "vore"? or is either acceptable?

It's a three letter abbreviation. You don't "pronounce" it; you spell it:
V. O. R. :)

Bill

crash

pr wrote:

> When you hear ATC say "cleared for the VOR 15 approach," what
> pronunciation are you listening for? Which begs the question: Will
> you hear it?

Makes sense! Hadn't really thought about it, assuming nearly everything in
caps like that is usually spelled out - like USA or UK, unless one is
SHOUTING on a news group.. like: VOR GOODNESS SAKE, LOOK AT VARMIT GO!!
d:->))

"Bill Leaming" <n4gix@comcast.net> wrote in message
> It's a three letter abbreviation. You don't "pronounce" it; you spell it:
> V. O. R. :)

Yes, so it cannot be confused with "for" or "four" (itself pronounced
"fower").

Si

"Simon Robbins" <simon@NOSPAMsjrobbins.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Bill Leaming" <n4gix@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> It's a three letter abbreviation. You don't "pronounce" it; you spell
>> it:
>> V. O. R. :)
>
> Yes, so it cannot be confused with "for" or "four" (itself pronounced
> "fower").

That makes sense; it might be confusing otherwise. Now I just have to train
myself to say it correctly. Never heard the in-game ATC say it that I can
recall, but haven't done any complex landings.

Simon Robbins <simon@NOSPAMsjrobbins.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Yes, so it cannot be confused with "for" or "four" (itself pronounced
> "fower").

In the US, it is the five and nine that have alternate pronunciations.
Five is fife and nine is niner. Four is four. :)

--
Peter

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 08:56:46 -0500, pr wrote:

> In the US, it is the five and nine that have alternate pronunciations.
> Five is fife and nine is niner. Four is four. :)

Naaah....fife is the Dutch pronunciation for our number 5, which is vijf.
:)

--

Marcel
(There's no such thing as a natural-born pilot. - Chuck Yeager)

"Marcel Kuijper" <zoepetier_nothing_here@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 08:56:46 -0500, pr wrote:
>
>> In the US, it is the five and nine that have alternate pronunciations.
>> Five is fife and nine is niner. Four is four. :)
>
> Naaah....fife is the Dutch pronunciation for our number 5, which is vijf.
> :)
>
> --
>
> Marcel

>> Five is fife

> Naaah....fife is the Dutch pronunciation for our number 5...

hi Marcel... does 'Naaah' mean 'yes' in Dutch? or are you disagreeing and
agreeing? :)

I was taught wun, two, thu-ree, fower, fife, six, seVEN, eight, niner, ten,
jack queen king

Butts

donbutts <removethisdonneybutts@hotmail.com> wrote:

> ten,

one-zero. ;-)

--
Peter

whoops... I did pause at that point too ha ha

Butts

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:41:22 -0600, "CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com>
wrote:

>Depends on who's listening.....

Vor goodness sake...

<URL:http://www.geocities.com/dsmurashev.geo/songs/The_Hippy_Hippy_Shake.htm>

Sorry, it a Monday.
James

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:00:33 -0500, pr <nope@nospam.com> wrote:

>donbutts <removethisdonneybutts@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ten,
>
>one-zero. ;-)

AK suited.

James

Also Sprach Bill Leaming <n4gix@comcast.net>:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:38:08 -0500, Matt B. wrote:

>> How does one correctly pronounce "VOR"?
>> "vee-oh-are"? "vore"? or is either acceptable?

> It's a three letter abbreviation. You don't "pronounce" it; you spell it:
> V. O. R. :)

So have you ever heard anyone refer to a VORTAC as a
V. O. R. T. A. C. ? Nope, we call those "vore-tacks" Crazy world, ain't
it?

Dan

--
Most people wouldn't know music if it came up and bit them on the ass.

-- Frank Zappa

Also Sprach pr <nope@nospam.com>:
> Simon Robbins <simon@NOSPAMsjrobbins.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> Yes, so it cannot be confused with "for" or "four" (itself pronounced
>> "fower").

> In the US, it is the five and nine that have alternate pronunciations.
> Five is fife and nine is niner. Four is four. :)

I was always taught (and I think the AIM backs me up) to pronounce it as
"fo-wer", in other words, to break it into two syllables. Something about
preventing mic clipping. Also, three is supposed to be prounounced
"tree" to avoid the "th", which some mics also have trouble with.

Dan

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he
is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not
make messes in the house.

>In the Northeast US, I rarely hear fife and niner (the most recognized
> of the alternate pronunciations) doesn't quite reach 100% usage.
> Tree and Fower? I have never heard it

I seem to recall hearing a few years back, about a new ATC trainee in
(?) Bridgeport, CT. Apparently he used only the "correct" number
pronunciations and there was absolute chaos on the radio... no one
could understand what the heck he was saying!

"Cherokee Tree Fower Zero Niner, turn right heading One Fower Fife",
answered always by "Uh, tower, say again?!!"

Heh heh..

Marshall Banana <dan@angband.org> wrote:

> I was always taught (and I think the AIM backs me up) to pronounce it as
> "fo-wer", in other words, to break it into two syllables. Something about
> preventing mic clipping. Also, three is supposed to be prounounced
> "tree" to avoid the "th", which some mics also have trouble with.

Ha! So you are right. I just took a look at the AIM and TREE and FOWER
are there as well. Looks like I need some more work.

Listen to a typical ATC frequency and you would never know that these
pronunciations are in use, however. In the Northeast US, I rarely hear
fife and niner (the most recognized of the alternate pronunciations)
doesn't quite reach 100% usage. Tree and Fower? I have never heard it.

"Approach, Delta One Nine, ten for four."

There are a lot of sloppy communication examples out there.

--
Peter

"Marshall Banana" <dan@angband.org> wrote in message
> I was always taught (and I think the AIM backs me up) to pronounce it as
> "fo-wer", in other words, to break it into two syllables. Something about
> preventing mic clipping. Also, three is supposed to be prounounced
> "tree" to avoid the "th", which some mics also have trouble with.

When I did fixed wing lessons in Canada, I was taught "tree", and "niner",
but I don't recall being taught "Fo-wer" and "fife", maybe they're just JAA
specific. Try as I might, I can't get used to saying them though, makes me
hesitate when reading numbers. Hopefully I'll get it eventually..

Si

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:58:26 +1300, donbutts wrote:

> "Marcel Kuijper" wrote:
>> Naaah....fife is the Dutch pronunciation for our number 5, which is vijf.
>> :)

> hi Marcel... does 'Naaah' mean 'yes' in Dutch? or are you disagreeing and
> agreeing? :)

'Naaah' is the disagreeing word that was taught to us by goats. :)

> I was taught wun, two, thu-ree, fower, fife, six, seVEN, eight, niner, ten,
> jack queen king

You'd lose in a poker game if you had a 'wun' in stead of an Ace. ;-)

And is 'fower' pronounced the same way as 'bower' or 'bore'? :))

This can go on and on and on and on and on...

--

Marcel
(life is a tricky thing...I'm glad I'm good at it!)

ariel

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2002

All the good stuff above on phonetics is international (ICAO) standard, not
just US usage. And everyone says "Vee-Oh-Are" and "Vore-Tack" too, but I
suspect that is copied from US usage years back when they started spreading
those aids around the globe.

Graham

> "Matt B." <sawdust100@charter.net> wrote:
>
>> "vee-oh-are"?
>
> This is how it is said in the US. Not sure about other countries.
>

> --
> Peter

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

> 'Naaah' is the disagreeing word that was taught to us by goats. :)
>

>> I was taught wun, two, thu-ree, fower, fife, six, seVEN, eight, niner,
>> ten,
>> jack queen king
>
> You'd lose in a poker game if you had a 'wun' in stead of an Ace. ;-)
>
> And is 'fower' pronounced the same way as 'bower' or 'bore'? :))

Well I suppose accents come into it now Marcel.. I would say four..wer. The
English would prob say whon, foh er a and sev-hen perhaps, the Aussies say
seex,(do we say sux?) the good ol USA types would drawl it all out to twice
the length.

Butts

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:22:42 +1300, donbutts wrote:

> Well I suppose accents come into it now Marcel.. I would say four..wer. The
> English would prob say whon, foh er a and sev-hen perhaps, the Aussies say
> seex,(do we say sux?)

Same thing 'up here' between Dutch and Belgians, English and Scots, Germans
and Austrians, Americans and Canadians...

> the good ol USA types would drawl it all out to twice the length.

LOL!!
That's cold, Butts!

--

Marcel
(Any landing you walk away from wasn't one of Melissa's! <g>)