How does the auto paper sensor work?

Some printers have an auto paper sensor that can determine the type of
paper to be printed and set the driver to the proper setting.

1. How does it know the paper type?

2. How can it be defeated to test different settings?

I think my Canon i960 printer has the auto paper sensor since I
printed on photo glossy paper with out chaning from the plain paper
setting and the printout turned out OK.

I'm not sure if the auto paper sensor is overriding any settings I
make.
1 answer Last reply
More about auto paper sensor work

    Mo wrote:
    > Some printers have an auto paper sensor that can determine the type of
    > paper to be printed and set the driver to the proper setting.
    >
    > 1. How does it know the paper type?
    >
    > 2. How can it be defeated to test different settings?
    >
    > I think my Canon i960 printer has the auto paper sensor since I
    > printed on photo glossy paper with out chaning from the plain paper
    > setting and the printout turned out OK.
    >
    > I'm not sure if the auto paper sensor is overriding any settings I
    > make.

    Did you try to print same image to photo paper using setting "photo" and see
    if it's any difference? Of course it's a difference between plain paper and
    photo one - even at lower resolutions. But, normally, if you set plain, you
    can't print with highest resolution (like 4800 dpi) and here's the basic
    difference when setting paper type. You probably printed with 2400 DPI or
    similar.
    When printing with i960 to photo paper, image must not turn out OK, but
    PERFECT...

Printers Photo Canon Peripherals