How do I remove services that no longer exist ???

I removed Oracle from my PC But when I go to services I see the service
Disabled.
How do I remove it completely ???
There must be some file that it pickes it up from.

I had two instances but removed only one and this service still shows up.
3 answers Last reply
More about remove services longer exist

    "=?Utf-8?B?bmFjaA==?=" <nach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > I removed Oracle from my PC But when I go to services I see the service
    > Disabled.
    > How do I remove it completely ???
    > There must be some file that it pickes it up from.
    >
    > I had two instances but removed only one and this service still shows up.

    Entries for services are in the registry under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
    and
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root

    Manually removing it from here is probably not a good idea unless you know
    what you are doing (permissions on the Enum\Root part are normally set to
    not allow you to write/delete there, for good reason). If the service is
    set to disabled, and does not start, it shouldn't hurt to just leave it
    there, except for tidyness. If you have deleted the actual executable that
    runs the service, it won't go anyway.

    There are some programs that can be used to remove (and add) services, such
    as SC from the NT Resource Kit, or SERVICE from
    http://www.loa.espci.fr/winnt.html (seems to be down right now).
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWER
    Your link some how does not seem to work. Wondering if you have another
    link to clean up the registry for entries that no longer are usefull ???
    Thanks

    "nospam.please@ualberta.ca" wrote:

    > "=?Utf-8?B?bmFjaA==?=" <nach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >
    > > I removed Oracle from my PC But when I go to services I see the service
    > > Disabled.
    > > How do I remove it completely ???
    > > There must be some file that it pickes it up from.
    > >
    > > I had two instances but removed only one and this service still shows up.
    > >

    > Entries for services are in the registry under
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
    > and
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root
    >
    > Manually removing it from here is probably not a good idea unless you know
    > what you are doing (permissions on the Enum\Root part are normally set to
    > not allow you to write/delete there, for good reason). If the service is
    > set to disabled, and does not start, it shouldn't hurt to just leave it
    > there, except for tidyness. If you have deleted the actual executable that
    > runs the service, it won't go anyway.
    >
    > There are some programs that can be used to remove (and add) services, such
    > as SC from the NT Resource Kit, or SERVICE from
    > http://www.loa.espci.fr/winnt.html (seems to be down right now).

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    > THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWER
    > Your link some how does not seem to work. Wondering if you have
    > another
    > link to clean up the registry for entries that no longer are usefull
    > ???
    > Thanks
    >

    > "nospam.please@ualberta.ca" wrote:
    >
    >> "=?Utf-8?B?bmFjaA==?=" <nach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >>
    >> > I removed Oracle from my PC But when I go to services I see the
    >> > service Disabled.
    >> > How do I remove it completely ???
    >> > There must be some file that it pickes it up from.
    >> >
    >> > I had two instances but removed only one and this service still
    >> > shows up.
    >> >

    >> Entries for services are in the registry under
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
    >> and
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root
    >>
    >> Manually removing it from here is probably not a good idea unless you
    >> know what you are doing (permissions on the Enum\Root part are
    >> normally set to not allow you to write/delete there, for good
    >> reason). If the service is set to disabled, and does not start, it
    >> shouldn't hurt to just leave it there, except for tidyness. If you
    >> have deleted the actual executable that runs the service, it won't go
    >> anyway.
    >>
    >> There are some programs that can be used to remove (and add)
    >> services, such as SC from the NT Resource Kit, or SERVICE from
    >> http://www.loa.espci.fr/winnt.html (seems to be down right now).

    Didier Cassereau's Tools link does seem to be down - maybe the files are
    mirrored elsewhere?

    You can download part of the NT resource kit (includes SC) here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/recommended/ntkit/default
    ..asp

    They are listed as being for NT 4.0, but most still work in 2k/XP.

    You can also download delsrv.exe from

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/default.mspx

    which allows you to delete services.

    Some registry cleanup tools like ccleaner (www.ccleaner.com) might clean
    up service entries that no longer point to valid executables, but I have
    none of these to test it on.

Oracle Microsoft Windows