Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Out of space

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
August 22, 2005 4:56:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

NT 4.0 Server. This server is due for replacement. I need to free up some
space on the c: drive until that happens. Can I empty the c:\Temp folder? Any
other ideas?

More about : space

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 8:09:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

Some things to check;

Clean out your \Temp directory. Delete the Temporary Internet Files, and
History. Do you have a disk defragmenter, if not get one and use it. You
could use Find|Files/ Folders and search the drive for; say files greater
than 5mB and then decide if they're needed. Check the \Winnt directory for a
$NtServicePackUninstall$ directory, if your current service pack is stable
and you don't anticipate backing down, you can delete the dir. If there is a
\I386 directory and you have the NT install CD then you can delete this dir.
Also check for the existence of User.dmp and Memory.dmp (both, by default
should be in the \winnt directory) you can delete these unless your going to
send them to the application vendor, or Microsoft for troubleshooting
purposes. Other options are; moving the pagefile to one of the other drives,
uninstall your programs that are installed in C:\Program Files and reinstall
them to D:\Program Files If you have a lot of local user profiles stored,
you can move them, see this article for info on this.



How to Move the Location of a Locally Cached Profile
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q214/4...


--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Mike" wrote:
| NT 4.0 Server. This server is due for replacement. I need to free up some
| space on the c: drive until that happens. Can I empty the c:\Temp folder?
Any
| other ideas?
August 23, 2005 5:35:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

Thanks Dave,

You covered everything I needed to know. I was considering the page file
move but I just want this thing to survive until the W2K3 server is ready to
go in a couple of weeks. Have any tips on migrating from NT4 to 2003? 2003
will be the only server on the network as the NT4 is almost 10 years old and
played out. Mike.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Some things to check;
>
> Clean out your \Temp directory. Delete the Temporary Internet Files, and
> History. Do you have a disk defragmenter, if not get one and use it. You
> could use Find|Files/ Folders and search the drive for; say files greater
> than 5mB and then decide if they're needed. Check the \Winnt directory for a
> $NtServicePackUninstall$ directory, if your current service pack is stable
> and you don't anticipate backing down, you can delete the dir. If there is a
> \I386 directory and you have the NT install CD then you can delete this dir.
> Also check for the existence of User.dmp and Memory.dmp (both, by default
> should be in the \winnt directory) you can delete these unless your going to
> send them to the application vendor, or Microsoft for troubleshooting
> purposes. Other options are; moving the pagefile to one of the other drives,
> uninstall your programs that are installed in C:\Program Files and reinstall
> them to D:\Program Files If you have a lot of local user profiles stored,
> you can move them, see this article for info on this.
>
>
>
> How to Move the Location of a Locally Cached Profile
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q214/4...
>
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Mike" wrote:
> | NT 4.0 Server. This server is due for replacement. I need to free up some
> | space on the c: drive until that happens. Can I empty the c:\Temp folder?
> Any
> | other ideas?
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 7:02:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

Glad those helped.

Nothing specific but some of these may help you.

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?as_q=nt4%20migrate%20....*&as_drrb=b&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=2000&as_maxd=31&as_maxm=12&as_maxy=2005&num=100&as_scoring=d&hl=en

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Mike" wrote:
| Thanks Dave,
|
| You covered everything I needed to know. I was considering the page file
| move but I just want this thing to survive until the W2K3 server is ready
to
| go in a couple of weeks. Have any tips on migrating from NT4 to 2003? 2003
| will be the only server on the network as the NT4 is almost 10 years old
and
| played out. Mike.
August 24, 2005 10:01:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

Thanks for all the help Dave. Mike.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Glad those helped.
>
> Nothing specific but some of these may help you.
>
> http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?as_q=nt4%20migrate%20....*&as_drrb=b&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=2000&as_maxd=31&as_maxm=12&as_maxy=2005&num=100&as_scoring=d&hl=en
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Mike" wrote:
> | Thanks Dave,
> |
> | You covered everything I needed to know. I was considering the page file
> | move but I just want this thing to survive until the W2K3 server is ready
> to
> | go in a couple of weeks. Have any tips on migrating from NT4 to 2003? 2003
> | will be the only server on the network as the NT4 is almost 10 years old
> and
> | played out. Mike.
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 12:27:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

You're quite welcome.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Mike" wrote:
| Thanks for all the help Dave. Mike.
!