Out of space

NT 4.0 Server. This server is due for replacement. I need to free up some
space on the c: drive until that happens. Can I empty the c:\Temp folder? Any
other ideas?
5 answers Last reply
More about space

    Some things to check;

    Clean out your \Temp directory. Delete the Temporary Internet Files, and
    History. Do you have a disk defragmenter, if not get one and use it. You
    could use Find|Files/ Folders and search the drive for; say files greater
    than 5mB and then decide if they're needed. Check the \Winnt directory for a
    $NtServicePackUninstall$ directory, if your current service pack is stable
    and you don't anticipate backing down, you can delete the dir. If there is a
    \I386 directory and you have the NT install CD then you can delete this dir.
    Also check for the existence of User.dmp and Memory.dmp (both, by default
    should be in the \winnt directory) you can delete these unless your going to
    send them to the application vendor, or Microsoft for troubleshooting
    purposes. Other options are; moving the pagefile to one of the other drives,
    uninstall your programs that are installed in C:\Program Files and reinstall
    them to D:\Program Files If you have a lot of local user profiles stored,
    you can move them, see this article for info on this.

    How to Move the Location of a Locally Cached Profile
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q214/4/70.ASP

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Mike" wrote:
    | NT 4.0 Server. This server is due for replacement. I need to free up some
    | space on the c: drive until that happens. Can I empty the c:\Temp folder?
    Any
    | other ideas?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Thanks Dave,

    You covered everything I needed to know. I was considering the page file
    move but I just want this thing to survive until the W2K3 server is ready to
    go in a couple of weeks. Have any tips on migrating from NT4 to 2003? 2003
    will be the only server on the network as the NT4 is almost 10 years old and
    played out. Mike.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Some things to check;
    >
    > Clean out your \Temp directory. Delete the Temporary Internet Files, and
    > History. Do you have a disk defragmenter, if not get one and use it. You
    > could use Find|Files/ Folders and search the drive for; say files greater
    > than 5mB and then decide if they're needed. Check the \Winnt directory for a
    > $NtServicePackUninstall$ directory, if your current service pack is stable
    > and you don't anticipate backing down, you can delete the dir. If there is a
    > \I386 directory and you have the NT install CD then you can delete this dir.
    > Also check for the existence of User.dmp and Memory.dmp (both, by default
    > should be in the \winnt directory) you can delete these unless your going to
    > send them to the application vendor, or Microsoft for troubleshooting
    > purposes. Other options are; moving the pagefile to one of the other drives,
    > uninstall your programs that are installed in C:\Program Files and reinstall
    > them to D:\Program Files If you have a lot of local user profiles stored,
    > you can move them, see this article for info on this.
    >

    > How to Move the Location of a Locally Cached Profile
    > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q214/4/70.ASP
    >

    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Mike" wrote:
    > | NT 4.0 Server. This server is due for replacement. I need to free up some
    > | space on the c: drive until that happens. Can I empty the c:\Temp folder?
    > Any
    > | other ideas?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Glad those helped.

    Nothing specific but some of these may help you.

    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?as_q=nt4%20migrate%20upgrade&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.windows.server.*&as_drrb=b&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=2000&as_maxd=31&as_maxm=12&as_maxy=2005&num=100&as_scoring=d&hl=en

    --

    "Mike" wrote:
    | Thanks Dave,
    |
    | You covered everything I needed to know. I was considering the page file
    | move but I just want this thing to survive until the W2K3 server is ready
    | go in a couple of weeks. Have any tips on migrating from NT4 to 2003? 2003
    | will be the only server on the network as the NT4 is almost 10 years old
    and
    | played out. Mike.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Thanks for all the help Dave. Mike.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Glad those helped.
    >
    > Nothing specific but some of these may help you.
    >
    > http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?as_q=nt4%20migrate%20upgrade&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.windows.server.*&as_drrb=b&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=2000&as_maxd=31&as_maxm=12&as_maxy=2005&num=100&as_scoring=d&hl=en
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Mike" wrote:
    > | Thanks Dave,
    > |
    > | You covered everything I needed to know. I was considering the page file
    > | move but I just want this thing to survive until the W2K3 server is ready
    > | go in a couple of weeks. Have any tips on migrating from NT4 to 2003? 2003
    > | will be the only server on the network as the NT4 is almost 10 years old
    > and
    > | played out. Mike.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    You're quite welcome.

    --

    "Mike" wrote:
    | Thanks for all the help Dave. Mike.