Taking the plunge 6800GT Questions

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • World Of Warcraft
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 16, 2005 1:49:56 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?DEPA...

I'm going to go for the EVGA 6800GT AGP video card here today or tomorrow and was wondering on your thoughts on the card if anyone had any? I'm going to be playing WoW, Doom and fear on it soon and was looking to upgrade from the FX5200 128MB dinosaur I have now. But i've read a couple of reviews on it most postitive but some not entirely positive such as this:

Pros: first off new egg rocks,
sadly this card did not!

Cons: i also recieved one with only 8 pixel shaders enabled on what's suppose to be a 16 pixel shader card!!! Four vertex shaders are on out of six.Usually all six are enabled.

Pros: Good newegg response to RMA for this first time buyer.

Cons: Found out what was causing my low 3dMark05 scores(3400). Turns out I have only 8 pixel shaders enabled on what's suppose to be a 16 pixel shader card!!! Four vertex shaders are on out of six.Usually all six are enabled.

Other Thoughts: Hopefully this will not be a trend on this particular card. Will await new card and update.My understading is that this chip(NV40) is out of production. So how did eVGA get this item back into stock?

Anyone know anything about the pixel shaders? Can you turn on all 6 vertex shaders? These were from two different users but a majority of the reviews are positive just wondering about your thoughts? This is probably the last line of good AGP cards to come out and don't want to spend the insane money for an ultra or downgrade to a 6600GT. Anyone?

Also wondering people have told me that this doens't have PureVideo capabilities but most have said it does. This is a big purchase for me and I don't want to be unsatisfied if it isn't as good as it supposed to be.

Someone also said that the cards being shipped to the customers are 6800xts or LEs not GT's. I'm not too tooo familiar with the other two yet. They recommended me this too but I dont know if I have the room in my case for that fan anyone know about this one too?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

More about : taking plunge 6800gt questions

December 16, 2005 9:25:54 PM

It sounds like they got the wrong cards (not sure if it was their error or newegg's). Just make sure it's the right one when you get it.

-mpjesse
December 16, 2005 11:20:51 PM

Hello,

There is a utility which allows a regular 6800 to have all the shaders/ pipelines.
Related resources
December 19, 2005 1:48:36 AM

If you’re concerned about the reviews or performance you might want to go with the BFG card. Their lifetime warranty and out of the box overclock are very nice percs. Their support is top notch. Also make sure you have a good PSU no matter what card you go with. A under-powered or bad PSU will fry these. The complaints of lost pipes are probably people using underpowered PSUs and the card cutting its performance and clocking it self down. Oh and BTW the card you will be getting will be a GT not any of the others you mentioned. The 6800GTs are winding down and soon to be scarce, but they're still out there. Good luck

Dell
Dim XPS Gen 4
P4 650 3.4G
3072mb PC2 4200 (533mhz)
eVGA 7800GT 256mb
160G SATA (Windows XP SP2)
SB Audigy2 ZS
CDRWDVD Combo Drive
19" ACER Flat pannel
December 19, 2005 11:44:50 AM

Unfortunately, that card is out of stock. It has been coming in and out of stock for a few weeks now. There is currently one AGP GT card in stock as of Monday the 19th [I forget the brand].

I have an EVGA GT and it's fine. I bought it about 6 months ago however, so if there were any hardware problems with recent cards I probably wouldn't see them since it came from a different batch.
December 19, 2005 4:50:27 PM

Thanks alot guys for the information. I actually did went ahead and bought it late friday and it is now in transit to my house. :)  I just pray everything goes alright. lol I wonder if the difference will be astonishing from my geforce FX5200 i've been using forever.
December 19, 2005 5:42:44 PM

Quote:
I wonder if the difference will be astonishing from my geforce FX5200 i've been using forever.

OMG, even if the card runs at 50% performance, it will STILL be better than a 5200.
December 19, 2005 6:27:06 PM

Sounds awesome! I have the latest drivers on my system for nvidia geforce 5200. Should I take out the card then put the 6800gt in there and do a driver cleaner and THEN install the latest nvidia drivers? OR should I do the driver cleaner first while the 5200 is in there, take out the 5200 and insert the 6800GT and install the new drivers? I just want to make sure everything will be up and working great for reliability and to get the best out of my card.
December 19, 2005 7:04:38 PM

I've never had a problem installing nvidia cards. I would just 'uninstall' the card from device manager, put the new card in, then load the newest driver from nvidia. I've never done it any other way, but using driver cleaner wouldn't hurt, I just don't find it necessary when going from one nvidia card to another.
December 20, 2005 9:30:50 PM

Hi guys, my first post.

I order a 6800gt and should get it tomorrow. It's made by PNY and I heard they make a good graphic card. It too is suppose to have 16 pipelines and I have an AGP slot which I thought is only 8x. Anyway I'm sure it will be better than my GF 6200.

http://www.pny.com/products/verto/performance/6800gt.as...

This is the card I'm getting supposedly, but when I went back to the vendors site it was no longer there. And what really makes me worried is all the bad reviews that I read about them after I ordered it. :( 

Cross my fingers.

Spinnut
December 21, 2005 12:15:15 AM

Quote:
Also make sure you have a good PSU no matter what card you go with. A under-powered or bad PSU will fry these. The complaints of lost pipes are probably people using underpowered PSUs and the card cutting its performance and clocking it self down.

Speaking of power supply...I need help here.

Just got my 6800GT today and I'm not sure I'm reading my board specs right for the power supply.

The card requires 350 watts. My board is an ASUS A7N8V-LA.

A set of online specs for my system says my AGP slot is 1.5V only.
While my system owners manual says it's designed to provide 2 amps (average) of +5V power for each card in the PC. Total +5V current draw in a fully loaded system must not exceed the total number of slots multiplied by 2 amps.

Can anyone help me make sense of this? I want to make sure I'm compat before bothering to install.

Thanks!
Darren480
December 21, 2005 2:45:46 AM

Darren480

The graphic card will have a 4 pin power connector on the end of card.
The 350 watts will come from your power supply, it's the box on top inside with all the power wires coming out. Hopefully you have an extra power cord to which you can connect to your video card. Look at the label on the power box and it should tell you how much watts it is. I get my card tomorrow, let me know how your's worked out and I'll let you know about mine.

Happy Graphics :wink:
Spinnut
December 21, 2005 2:58:45 AM

Looks like I've hit a snag.

the PSU is a HIPRO with 250W max output. But the card requires 350w.

As for the cable question, there is one with the card, but the box says it needs "one available hard disk drive power connector from power supply that is connected to nothing else in the system".

So does this mean I can't take the cable from the second HD and run the card off that?

Any suggestions on a PSU?
Darren480

HP a520n
Athlon XP 3200+ 2.2 GHz
512 MB Ram
140G HD
December 21, 2005 4:17:18 AM

I currently have a BFG 6800GT running in my brothers HP a430n computer and its running fine. I was abit worried that the 250watt powersupply was not enough but so far it has been running fine for about 2 weeks now. He plays BF2 and WoW on it daliy. I had a 9800XT in there for about a year so I did some research and found out that 9800XT draws more power then the 6800GT and based off that I decide to give it a shot. So far so good!

6800GT Power Consumption
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-vs-n...

9800XT Power Consumption
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-powe...

AMD 3700+ 64bit
Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
eVGA 7800GT OC
Antec TruePower 430watts
2gig OCZ Plat. Performace
250gig Western Dig. HD
40gig Maxtor HD
NEC DVD Burner
December 21, 2005 4:28:04 AM

But don't you worry that you're running the risk of frying your system? I hear people say the PSU requirements are always wrong, but I don't know. Others say that's a real gamble.

Darren480
December 21, 2005 1:43:17 PM

I just got my card and installed it and it works AMAZING in WoW. The land moves sooooo smoothly and the graphical quality is stunning compared to my little ol 5200. Anyway how do you access information on how many piplines, vertex and pixelshaders its set on? I want to check and see if all my pipelines are enabled and tinker carefully with the settings. I have a 500w power supply too so the card is definitely getting a good amount of power.
December 21, 2005 1:51:10 PM

You say you have a 500 watt?

I'm trying to pick a PSU so I can install my 6800GT.
I hear Dell and Gateway are proprietary but not sure with HP.

I've got an HP a520n with a 250watt HIPRO PSU model HP-D2537F3R.

Got any suggestions on a replacement? Anything I should watch out for?
December 21, 2005 1:56:09 PM

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=26500

I went with that one which I bought at a local Fry's. No problems at all yet and seems to be a strong power supply for my system so far. Though i've only had it for about a week already so everythings going alright. It's got my approval so far. But the Neo HE ones seem a little more beneifcial from what i'm reading.
December 21, 2005 2:04:10 PM

Looks nice. Funny, but when you link off that to the Antec site that 500 model isn't listed.

How's the noise level?

Also, is there ever a concern with whether it will fit in the tower? I don't know if my HP minitower is considered a 'standard' size or not.
December 21, 2005 2:31:29 PM

Don't know if it will fit in your tower honestly but it fit in my perfectly. But I have an antec case as well. The noise isnt bad at all I didn't notice a difference in sound level between this power supply and the power supply I had in there previously which was what came with the case stock.

The only noise diff was when I got the 6800GT which the fan was a tiny bit louder than what I had in there previously. It isn't really unbearable at all for me but thats just about it.
!