AMD Loses Half Market Value in 6 Mos., Investors Pessimistic

Status
Not open for further replies.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Ouch that's not good news. I'm not sure what they expected though after claiming they can't keep up with intel and they wont get into a race with them anymore.

Just because everyone knows that you're getting your ass handed to you by intel doesn't mean you can outright say so. Never show weakness.

[citation][nom]spartanmk2[/nom]Good news for Nvidia?[/citation]
their gpu business isn't failing, its the cpu business. too many delays on the release on their cpus(trinity was supposed to be may, opening up in october is an example)

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]dudewitbow[/nom]their gpu business isn't failing, its the cpu business. too many delays on the release on their cpus(trinity was supposed to be may, opening up in october is an example)[/citation]

And if AMD fails, they might spin-off their GPU department to save it. Or it gets purchased by Intel or ARM.

I'd be inclined to go long AMD. No, I'm not a fan, but I don't see them dying. A return to profitability could occur based on any aspect of their plans, not limited to mainstream CPUs. This actually has me thinking about opening an eTrade account.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
[citation][nom]geekapproved[/nom]You Intel fans better hope AMD succeeds, or you'll be paying $1000 for mainstream cpu's like you used to.[/citation]

altough i agree that it would hurt de consumer that someone has a monopoly,
see how fast their sales would decline if they try to pull that off in this day and age...

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Before people flame me understand i loved amd my first comp was a k6 and i have built amd up until this yearbut... Investor base? LOL amd hasnt payed a dividend in like ever. The company is going in the wrong direction. Shure their DESKTOP bits are fine, but to other consumers the intel offerings of the same price and lower are better. AMD is completely blind to the mobile performance market and tablet markets they could be taking advantage off. AMD's marketing and support for its new technology is horrible. AMD has gutted most of its engineers and R&D. Rory READ is a horrible president. Their laptop cpus are absolute garbage! i hate to say the company i loved so much and been a loyal customer to is garbage but thats what theyre selling! Enduro causes more issues than its worth! amd keeps staying behind and its not fun sticking up for them anymore. This new direction AMD is on means the company was going to fail is going to fai land it is failing PERIOD. I hope Samsung Buys AMD and kick out the president. AMD needs its innovation back. ... or this could be all part of a plot from the catholic church and certain governments by installing horrible ppl like rory read to destroy the company because AMD's main investors are the Saudi Government and royal family inc.

busuan

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
To save the future of true parallel computing, AMD has to save itself first. AMD MUST make its case with Apple, as I see Apple the only company could implement and execute AMD's ambitious ideas. Heterogenous computing is essentially what Apple is now moving toward. And it is obvious that APU is inherently for iMac and Mac mini which demand decent GPU capability as well as power efficiency. With some fine tuning, APU could make its way into MacBook Pro, even MacBook Air.
I love AMD's APU approach. But everyone has to get bread and butter first.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I have one question:

Where are the AMD Windows 8 tablets? We've already had quite good units with the Acer W500 and MSI 110w but they were Windows 7 devices. Come on AMD! Talk about being left behind.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
IMHO, if AMD drastically improves their CPU offerings and gets them at least on par with Intel, then they will rebound as that would greatly broaden their current market.

As I see it, the BD fiasco was a serious black eye for them.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]NightLight[/nom]altough i agree that it would hurt de consumer that someone has a monopoly, see how fast their sales would decline if they try to pull that off in this day and age...[/citation]

Indian salt tax. You can either take the high priced stuff, or do without it.

reviewer889

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Is anyone surprised???

It's complete trash. And no one can talk price because they are just as high. If not higher at one point.

I've never had an AMD last me more than a year.

G

It was their purchasing ATI for cash that killed them. Sure, couldn't have been a merger, had to be a buyout cause it would be better for the shareholders. It was crazy, and what killed AMD, that had to cut cut cut to stay one step ahead of doom. They new Intel was releasing a new chip they had been working on and they just dug their grave. It was going to be a dogfight and they just threw out so much talent, sold off their fabs, and slit their throat for "shareholder value". I still don't see how they are going to make it, maybe ATI video card business will be picked up but most everything else doesn't have much value.

Lesson, don't have a CFO become a CEO, may seem like a good idea on paper but one has to see the bigger picture.

ashinms

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]You used to pay $1000 for an AMD cpu too![/citation]
Exactly, that is why we need balance in the market, not monopolistic dominance.

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
It's tough for AMD to keep up with all the patents Intel own. Its tough for AMD and it sucks for us consumers who have to pay whatever Intel wishes if AMD can't find a way to push forward.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Over the last 4 years, I bought quite a bit of AMD stock in hoping that the fusion processor would pay off. It is a shame that the A6 and A8 never really caught on especially in the laptop environment where light computing and light gaming is perfect for the fusion chips. For heavy computing, the i3 and i5 blow away their counterparts but try any kind of gaming on those laptops.

Anyhow, it is a shame and I am kicking myself for not getting out when the stock was $9-10 per share. I did trade some for Nvidia stock a while ago but that was only a small amount.

G

Agreed that 1. AMD should have NEVER purchased ATi. That was one of the most stupidest moves ever! Partner with ATi, merge, but buyout, no.

2. AMD killing their fab business was like a person saying "I'm not going to eat anymore and i'll starve to death"

3. The final major blow, AMD admitting losing to intel and claiming they were "pursuing other interests" ie. ARM CPU. Thats like saying, well, were going to leave a market where there's only a few competitors and enter a market where there's hundreds and we'll never succeed. This was AMD basicly slitting their own wrists.

AMD, fire that f*cking CEO before he kills your company, if it isnt already too late.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]chomlee[/nom]Over the last 4 years, I bought quite a bit of AMD stock in hoping that the fusion processor would pay off. It is a shame that the A6 and A8 never really caught on especially in the laptop environment where light computing and light gaming is perfect for the fusion chips. For heavy computing, the i3 and i5 blow away their counterparts but try any kind of gaming on those laptops.Anyhow, it is a shame and I am kicking myself for not getting out when the stock was $9-10 per share. I did trade some for Nvidia stock a while ago but that was only a small amount.[/citation]

And that is why you shouldn't be trading single stocks in the first place, because you are subject to massive exposure to things like this. Get a good fee simple investment manager and get yourself an index fund, dude. You'll be glad you did when you can retire and you're not a 70 year old door greeter at Wal-Mart.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
The public is uninformed about the value of Trinity and most consumer product reviewers are guilty false education.

I have seen so many reviews rate a notebook with a Core i5 with HD3000 graphics over a A6 laptop with HD7600 graphics based solely on the a synthetic office productivity CPU benchmark. Then they will downplay the graphics advantage of the A6 as only useful to hardcore gamers. What! Unless Microsoft Office suddenly starts doing a lot of video codec encoding, the consumer will save money and be happier with the overall experience of the A6 notebook.

Windows Experience Index ratings should factor in more in most reviews because it pushes a more balanced system. No point in have a CPU that rates 7.2 and a graphics of 3.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.