Sign in with
Your question

Something wrong with my build :S

Last response: in Systems
December 16, 2005 4:25:28 PM

Hi, I'd first like to welcome all the people here. I've been reading all the news and comments etc...

Now this is my problem.
I've bought some parts for my new computer in all kinds of stores in the benelux. I've put it all together but it won't boot. This is my configuration:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI
CPU: AMD 3500+ 939
Cooler: CNPS7700-Cu
Mem: 2 * 512 DDR 400mhz GEIL
Storage: 2 * 40Gig
P.Supply: 400W
Sound: Creative audigy 2 ZS
Case: Thermaltake Kandalf black + window
Extra Thermaltake display Volcano 13

As you can see I haven't installed a PCI-E graphic card on my mobo, but that's not the problem why it won't boot, now is it?

Pls reply if you know why my pc won't boot. I've no clue.

Greetz :?

More about : wrong build

December 16, 2005 4:50:59 PM

Take a look at the motherboard when you turn on the power - does the cpu fan spin up? -- if not then take another look at where the power cables are plugged in.

Do you get any beep codes from the speaker? (is your speaker hooked up? ).
December 16, 2005 8:24:25 PM

No, my pc doesn't do anything. My cooler doesn't spin, nothing. My motherboard does get power though.
My speakers aren't connected :wink:
Related resources
December 16, 2005 8:39:52 PM

Don't you need a graphics card to boot? I think you'd get a beep though.

Try:

1) re-seating you ram.
2) tightning all connections
3) is power supply on? and at right voltage?
4) is cpu fan plugged into the right slot?
5) try crossing (resetting) the jumpers for the CMOS I beleive it's called. maybe you shorted something earlier and it won't try again till you reset it. Happened to me before.

That's all I got. Next step return motherboard I guess.
December 17, 2005 7:49:29 AM

I've checked everything again but it still doesn't work. There was no CMOS jumper present so I took out the CMOS-battery(dunno the name) and put it back in after a minute, but no sign of life for my computer :cry: 

I saw that I did have an open space to connect a PowerATX fan and a systemfan. The cpufan is in the cpu fan offcourse. Do I have to connect a fan to those 2 other spaces? :wink:
December 17, 2005 1:21:45 PM

Have you plug those indicator connectors, try to unplug them (except for the soft power so you can still turn on your system). If you don't plug them right, for security resason, system might be halt.

Or reset BIOS settings to defualt.
December 17, 2005 2:39:41 PM

I've checked all those little wires, how to reset my BIOS to default when I can't boot my pc?
December 17, 2005 3:31:11 PM

Make sure you've plugged in the power button properly. (:p )
I do believe you need a graphics card (at least get one of those old PCI ones).
December 17, 2005 4:40:05 PM

Quote:
Make sure you've plugged in the power button properly. (:p )
I do believe you need a graphics card (at least get one of those old PCI ones).

Hahaha, quality joke :lol: 
Well, it's PCI-E so all new cards :( 

Normally your system should run without the card though. I realy wonder what's wrong with it
December 17, 2005 5:29:03 PM

There's a troubleshooting FAQ stickied to the top of the motherboard general section that goes into basic troubleshooting of a new build. Things like make sure you don't have any standoffs in the wrong spot shorting something out, resetting the BIOS (it does help sometimes), etc.

Mike.
December 17, 2005 5:29:12 PM

Did you check to make sure that the voltage on the PS is set right? sometimes there is a switch to choose between 110-120v and 220-240v.
Also, do you have the extra 12v (4-pin) socket hooked up to the PS? I think this board has one up by the voltage regulators.
December 17, 2005 5:31:54 PM

Yes I did hook up the 12v connector to the mobo. And the psu is the same from my old pc, still the same volt.

I'll take a look at that location fishmahn. Thx
December 17, 2005 8:33:16 PM

I got the 4 pin connector plugged in , but no gfx card installed, may that cause a problem? I also have a 20 pin adapter connected to a 24 pin adapter on the mobo.

No reply from my pc so far :s
December 18, 2005 4:32:56 AM

It may not like the missing graphics card...

Mike.
December 18, 2005 8:05:07 AM

Ye I hope so fishmahn,

I'm buying one next week or that week after, so I'll let you guys know if that was the problem. :wink:
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 18, 2005 10:14:15 AM

don't know if I'm mistaken here. But I think you are supposed to use the 4pin cable in addition with your 20 pin atx power cable on a 24 pin mb...

AND you have to connect the other 4 pin cable, too of course.
December 18, 2005 12:39:23 PM

Hm, so what do you mean?

For the moment I got my 4 pin (black and yellow wires) from the PSU connected to the motherboard. I got the 20 pin cable connected to the 24 pin on my motherboard with 4 pins left on the right side.

So there is nothing in the last 2*2 pins (4pins).

Is that the right thing to do?
December 18, 2005 12:55:57 PM

Quote:
Hm, so what do you mean?

For the moment I got my 4 pin (black and yellow wires) from the PSU connected to the motherboard. I got the 20 pin cable connected to the 24 pin on my motherboard with 4 pins left on the right side.

So there is nothing in the last 2*2 pins (4pins).

Is that the right thing to do?

Yes it is the way. You said you brought the PSU from your old system.. What brand and power it has? I had a 450w PSU from another system that won't start a nforce3 system while a good quality one 300w would...

Wattage is not everything. It need amps on 12v and 5v lines and if those line are under powered, then it won't start.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 18, 2005 6:19:44 PM

I'm sorry, but (I think) you will not be able to run your system with that PSU.

You need to properly power the 24 connector. probably there is are converters around (12V-4pin matching to your old ATX power cable) but be careful. Only up to date PSUs provide the full coverage.

In addition you still have to connect the extra (also not includded with old PSUs) plug on the mobo.
December 18, 2005 7:14:10 PM

Hi, that extra connector, is it the 2*2 (4pin connector?)? Because i got that one plugged into the mobo.
!