HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi

I have accidently deleted my MBR and I know that when I go for a
reboot, my system is not going to startup. So before I go for a reboot,
can I somehow restore my MBR or else recreate it with a batch file or
something?? I do not want to use any CDs or diskettes. I am running Win
XP SP2.

Pls help
regards
Arijit

harry wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have accidently deleted my MBR and I know that when I go for a
> reboot, my system is not going to startup. So before I go for a reboot,
> can I somehow restore my MBR or else recreate it with a batch file or
> something?? I do not want to use any CDs or diskettes. I am running Win
> XP SP2.

The answer is no. There is no way to start Repair without
using the cdrom to boot the computer. Nor is there a way
to run fdisk /mbr from the command prompt without booting
from the floppy disk drive.

Mistoffolees wrote:
> harry wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I have accidently deleted my MBR and I know that when I go for a
>>reboot, my system is not going to startup. So before I go for a reboot,
>>can I somehow restore my MBR or else recreate it with a batch file or
>>something?? I do not want to use any CDs or diskettes. I am running Win
>>XP SP2.
>

> The answer is no. There is no way to start Repair without
> using the cdrom to boot the computer. Nor is there a way
> to run fdisk /mbr from the command prompt without booting
> from the floppy disk drive.

Go to www.bootdisk.com.

Download a Win9x or DOS 6.x boot disk image.

Make floppy from image.

Make sure FDisk is on the new disk and ideally test the disk on
another machine to make sure it is indeed bootable.

Boot floppy ... restore MBR with "fdisk /mbr".

As well, if you have Partition Magic on your system, you can use
PM to make bootable floppies. Boot from said floppies, run PM,
and let PM create a new MBR.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

harry wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have accidently deleted my MBR and I know that when I go for a
> reboot, my system is not going to startup. So before I go for a reboot,
> can I somehow restore my MBR or else recreate it with a batch file or
> something?? I do not want to use any CDs or diskettes. I am running Win
> XP SP2.
>
> Pls help
> regards
> Arijit

Name the exact file you deleted. Such as boot.ini. Also if you deleted
it have you checked your recycle bin to see if it is still there? Also
do a wildcard (*.*) search on your c drive for any .bak files. You may
have a backup. Be sure you have windows set to show hidden files.
Frank