New install of NT 4.0 on dual processor

evert

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004
evert.meulie.net

After the crash of our NT 4.0 Server we placed a new machine.
This is one of the latest dual Xeon processor boards.
I now have the problem that I can run Setup trough the CD-rom but when NT
has loaded all files into memory and should come up withe the install screen
the computer just hangs.
Someone told me that this was caused by the dual processors and that i
should make the setup with an setup switch that ignores the dual
configuration.
Can anybody help me with this??
The Server should be up and running on friday.
Don't come with obvious solutions as "install W2K or W2K3" because there are
special reasons to install NT4 Server.
Thanks, Evert

Calvin

Hi Evert,

It is possible your new server hardware is incompatible with NT4.0 and you may
never be able to get it to install and run :-(

See the post above entitled "VIA-Chipsets failed while upgrading (PT880)" -
there are problems with the most recent chipsets blocking the operation of NT4.0

That said, this may not be the case in your situation. there are a lot of things
which could cause problems, including mis-detection of the motherboard
architecture during the initial setup phase, too much RAM installed during the
install phase (the max is about 1.8GB during install, you can increase to 4GB
once install is complete), problems with your HDD interface type (SATA for
example can be problematic) etc. etc. etc.

We will need a LOT more detail from you (exact hardware etc..) to be able to
make any specific suggestions as to how to proceed.

Calvin.

Yes, replacing an old nt server with a brand new "state of the art" server is
very problematic. I gave up on that about 5 years ago. When I replace them
now, I go to ebay and get and old reliable IBM or Dell workhorse, and lots of
spare parts, usually for under $500.

hollett

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
Windows NT 4.0 does not work on Hyperthreding.
Windows NT 4.0 does not work "fully/at all" with PCI Express.
However turing off hyperthreding (if in the bios) will work.
PCI-e you may be on your own as it can sometime be done but will run like a dog.
a diffrent solution is to run windows 2K/2K3 sever with a VM of NT server 4.0 on it. This will work fine, as the VM is hardware independant (I am running a NT 4.0 system on a VM'ed dual quad core system at work).