specialkp

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
Hello, I found a pretty good deal on an ATI X850 Pro (AGP). Looking at a few reviews, it looks like a pretty good card. Although it only has 12 pipelines... is that bad? Does anyone have this card that can let me know how it is?

Basically what I want to know is.. will this card play nearly any game at 1280x1024 with the highest settings. I'm upgrading from a GeForce 4 mx 440, so obviously this is a HUGE step up. But I would like it to be good for a few years. Thanks for any help with this.

mpjesse

Splendid
That card won't last you 6 months.

There are a few games on the market that you won't be able to play at those resolutions. (I mean, you won't have a playable frame rate). These are some excerpts from them. If you're looking to just play HL2, Doom3, and some Quake 3 based engines... the x850 pro will do fine. But read below...

The first of which is F.E.A.R. FEAR is barely playable at 1024x768 with the x850 (comes in at 30fps max). Don't even think about 1280x960 or above.

Next comes Serious Sam 2 which is barely playable at 1280x960 w/ high settings. (Again, 31fps max). But it's playable at 1024x768

And then comes Black or White 2 which is not even playable at 1024x768 w/ the x850 (21fps max).

Finally there's Age of Empires 3 which is playable @ 1024x768... but barely playable at 1280x1024.

These are games currently on the market... things are only going to get more complicated. F.E.A.R. is arguablly the most advanced game on the market right now. If I were you, I'd look into getting a 6800GT AGP or just save your money for a new motherboard/processor so you can get PCI-e.

So the final answer to your question is no, you won't be able to play nearly every game at 1280x1024 with high settings. You'd be lucky to play half those games @ 800x600 with high settings. Another thing you have consider is your processor. If you're using AGP, you processor is somewhat old. The benchmarks below were all done on an Athlon FX 57 system... fastest you can get. Read the article below:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/02/vga_charts_viii/page5.html

-mpjesse

pauldh

Illustrious
The X850 pro isn't bad. It's a little behind but very close in performance to the X800Xl, 6800GT, 6800GS. It's ahead of the X800 pro. Nice card but not worth as much as the others listed.

But I agree maxing out new games for a year at 12x10 isn't going to happen. If you hope to do that look for a X850XT in AGP or better yet a 7800GT / X1800XL or higher in PCI-e.

specialkp

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
Ok, I'll revise that from I want it to last a few years to maybe 1 year. 2 years tops. I have had my GeForce 4 mx for 2 years now... always running games at 800x600 or 1024x768 at the lowest settings though.

I have a 2500+ with 1 Gig of RAM, so it's a little dated as well. I need a new video card since I am buying a 19 inch LCD and have heard that they don't do as well at non-native resolutions (res of 1200x1024). So I figure I'd need a card that can push out that res for games. I am willing to sacrifice some eye candy. I am not a hardcore gamer. Right now I'm just playing unreal tournament 2004, Prince of Persia, Dungeon Siege etc. Nothing too demanding (and all playable on the geforce!).

Getting a new mobo + cpu is out of the questioon. I only have enough $ for the LCD and video card right now.

So.. I'm thinking I might just go for the x850 pro since I have found a pretty good deal ($100 discount) and sacrifice having lower settings. Anybody know a way to unlock the extra 4 pipelines? 8)

pauldh

Illustrious
The X850 pro would be a fine choice for what you are talking about. yes you want to use your native resolution and that includes gaming. But in some of the newer games just be prepared to lower the detail levels. An old game like UT2004, you can crank the eye candy all the way.

Oh my, the visual goodies you are in for going from a GF4mX to a X850 pro. You'll love it. If the price is right, grab it!.

Are you in the USA? What's the price? Is it online? If it's under $200, it's a bargain. If it's over $200 by alot, then a X800XT or X850XT would be better, which you can find in the $250-300 range. Can't imagine these are still in stock at these prices, but here is a X850Xt for $250 after rebate. That is almost the best AGP gaming card made, just losing to the higher clocked platinum editions.

If it's under $200, online in the USA, I'd appreciate a link (after you secure your copy of course). :wink:

specialkp

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
It's in Canada at a local comupter shop. So no link. It would be about $220 USD. I can't seem to find anything cheaper than that. Everything seems so overpriced here compared to US stores... I will look around a little for the XT. It sounds much better, but I think the Pro may suit my needs for now.