Cancelling a print job

Rocky

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

Is there a quick way to cancel a print job? I have a new
computer running WindowsXP. (I mistakenly said NT earlier)

The old computer, I could interrupt the print job (turn
off the printer), or it
would run out of paper, and quickly a box would pop up
asking if I wanted to abort it or continue. A "yes" on
the abort option would clear the print queue immediately
and I could go on to something else.

This new one, no such box ever appears when I interrupt
the print job (or if it just needs another sheet of
paper). It just sits there forever. If I go into Printers
and Faxes and manually cancel the job, it does not cancel
immediately. If it was a big job (I only wanted page 1 of
that 10-page document) it is as if it has to wait the
time it would take to print all 10 pages before it
clears. HUGE waste of time and an aggravating delay. And
then there is always a little piece of garbage left over
that ruins the next clean sheet of paper I put in the
printer.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

You can stop and start the Print Spooler service to clear
out and print jobs.

Adjust the port timeout for that printer to a lower value.