Help me with some motherboard problem please.

ryuhaikaru

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
Hello,
I have some problem and i really need help from you guys. My friend told me that he had some problem with his PC turned off from overheating. So i recommended him to buy new heatsink since he said that his cpu ( processor) fan made weird sound. Few days later he bought a good huge heatsink from newegg Thermalstake CLp0114.
Here is the link and info of the item
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106061
I went to his house and installed the new cpu heatsink. But new problem occur when we his PC failed to turn on. I rechecked and i m sure enough that I assembled it correctly and everything was in right place. We disassembled everything and redid it again but the problem still the same.Then i tried to uninstall the processor and then turned on the PC and weirdly the PC works ( of course there was nothing on the screen since there was no processor but it could be turned on without processor ).
My question is
Is the problem caused by the processor or the motherboard?
My friend is in need to use the PC asap so i need to figure out the right solution. I dont want to buy new processor if the problem is caused by mobo. by the way, since i m using p4 and his is AMD xp, we couldnt switch the processor to figure what really going on. Help me please.
P/s: sorry for bad grammar. i m not an english speaker :(.

Admiral_Cecil

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
Hello,

From what I'm seeing, I think your CPU may be damaged during installation either installing the original fan or taking it off (may also apply with your new HSF).

AMD XP like most older CPU has the core exposed at the top. The moment you latch down (requires a bit of force) is the moment of truth. There's a chance the die may have been damaged.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
It's not that likely really, but it's possible his motherboard refuses to boot up because it thinks there's no processor fan installed. Have you got anything plugged into the connector on the motherboard marked "CPU_FAN" or something similar? That might be all that's wrong. Even if the new cooler uses a 4-pin plug off the power supply it might have a sensor wire which can be connected there.

While it is true the core on an XP is exposed, it really does require a lot of effort to break it. I've done it loads of times and never had this problem.

If your cpu had the thermal pad or grease, check for residue in the pin area or on top around the die. Clean off the residue with isopropyl alcohol or fingernail polish remover. Apply any thermal compound you have using a single edge razor blade or business card on the die only, and reinstall the cpu and heatsink.

ryuhaikaru

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
I ve found out that the problem isnt the processor. I tried to install the processor into another amd-xp mobo and it works just fine. Now i m thinking maybe its motherboard which caused the problem.
I ve plugged the CPU_FAN power and still the problem isnt solved. im start thinking that maybe there is something wrong with the mobo.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
In that sort of situation it's usually easiest to remove the mobo from the case and place it on a flat non-conductive surface (e.g. a phone book), and try to start with minimum components (CPU, Gfx card, one stick of RAM). If that works then you can add other components one at a time until you find the problem.

To start it outside of the case you just need to briefly touch the two pins that link to the power switch with a screwdriver or other metal object.

If nothing can convince the board to boot up, and you know the CPU is ok, then it's likely a mobo problem.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
What kind of power supply is your friend using? it is possible that the new heatsink draws too much power from the board. Its not very likely, but try the rig with a different power supply and it just may boot.

it is possible that the new heatsink draws too much power from the board. Its not very likely, but try the rig with a different power supply and it just may boot.
No - the HSF won't push the PSU over the edge. It's just a stinking fan that is being powered.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
You right, its is just a stinking fan that only draws about 5 watts of power. All I am saying is that I have seen PSU issues arise in alot of situations that it doesn't seem to be the culprit. I have seen PSUs that are dying flake out after any change to the system or the amperage draw. I know its unlikely, but I say at least try it and see, it may save you some hassle.

The previous HSF probably had a fan on it that drew just as much power as the new fan. You are right that a dying psu can be flaky, but to drop money on a new psu without a good reason is not a great troubleshooting method. Chipdeath's troubsleshooting recommendation is the better method. Ryu should definitely tell us what PSU he has, but he doesn't need to replace it before he does any other diagnostics... :wink:

after you took out the cpu and turned it on and was fine. Did you put it back in and pop in the HS&F and see if it would be fine?

Hello,
I have some problem and i really need help from you guys. My friend told me that he had some problem with his PC turned off from overheating. So i recommended him to buy new heatsink since he said that his cpu ( processor) fan made weird sound. Few days later he bought a good huge heatsink from newegg Thermalstake CLp0114.
Here is the link and info of the item
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106061
I went to his house and installed the new cpu heatsink. But new problem occur when we his PC failed to turn on. I rechecked and i m sure enough that I assembled it correctly and everything was in right place. We disassembled everything and redid it again but the problem still the same.Then i tried to uninstall the processor and then turned on the PC and weirdly the PC works ( of course there was nothing on the screen since there was no processor but it could be turned on without processor ).
My question is
Is the problem caused by the processor or the motherboard?
My friend is in need to use the PC asap so i need to figure out the right solution. I dont want to buy new processor if the problem is caused by mobo. by the way, since i m using p4 and his is AMD xp, we couldnt switch the processor to figure what really going on. Help me please.
P/s: sorry for bad grammar. i m not an english speaker :(.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I agree that ChipDeath had the correct method. And I wasn't recommending he buy a PSU just for troubleshooting, but he already mentioned that he had some other parts available for testing, and I was recommending he try swapping his PSU for his friends if the testing out of box fails.

ryuhaikaru

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
After i found out that the mobo only works without processor, i tried to install the cpu back and the same problem still occurs.
Now its the interesting part. I tried to install that huge HSF on my p4 mobo and guess what? It ruined my mobo! I cant believe that! now my PC is infected by same plague. OMG!.. i m so helpless... now i have to figure out for 2 pcs.. ]
my friend is using 450WPSU while i m using 350W psu. Damn.. why this happened to me? Some karma pays?
I need to use my pc so i m thinking of buying new mobo tonite. what u guys think?

ryuhaikaru

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
any other question..do u think it is possible that the HSF can break the PSU? It doesnt look possible for me but who knows...
one more thing.. when i tried to swtich on the mobo without CPU, my mobo burned from short circuit.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
any other question..do u think it is possible that the HSF can break the PSU? It doesnt look possible for me but who knows...
one more thing.. when i tried to swtich on the mobo without CPU, my mobo burned from short circuit.

If you smell burning silicon, its probably time for a new mobo. I have never heard of the HSF actually causing damage to the motherboard or PSU on its own. If its install incorrectly, or the right short occurs, then it is possible. You do have to be very careful on install.

You said that your friends PC won't boot with just the CPU and no fan? (Do not leave it on for more than a few seconds if it does)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Not to worry, my LGA775 got damaged too by mounting the same cooler. But I did it "right". And the system worked perfectly. Unmounting it, and mounting a different cooler, proved to be too much for the fragile LGA775 contacts.

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
yeah...no cooler is a bad idea...oh wow :(

im going to bet it is an improper install in the first place...the common thread in the ruined machines is the HS and the installer...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The particular heatsink in question uses a mounting kit specifically designed to break motherboard circuits, crush cores, and cause socket failure. It provides exceptional cooling at low noise so long as you're able to mount it without destroying anything.

TRENDING THREADS