Most suitable AMD 64x2 Motherboard for under $170

james1974

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
Hi there.

This is my first time putting together a system. I have decided that I am going to have an AMD 64x2 4400 processor. Which motherboard would you choose for under $170 if you weren't interested in overclocking. I am looking for a board which will last me a few years so future proofing is very important to me.

I'm not sure if it matters but here is the rest of the system that I will be ordering:

Thermaltake Tenor Black Case
Thermaltake Silence 560w Power Supply
AMD 64x2 4400+ 1MB
Corsair Twinx2048 2x1GB
120GB Hard Drive from existing system
80GB Hard Drive from existing system
DVD Writer from existing system
ATI X1800XL All-In-Wonder
Creative Audigy 4 OEM Sound Card
Microsoft Media Centre 2005

pwnage

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Hey

Asus make great mobo's I've used them for years with very little problems.
This guy is $7 under your price tag and is very reliable. Also it will probably need a bios update in order to function properly with that processor. Yes this board dose have SLI but, it's still well worth it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131540

I also take it that this is going to be a media center box.

If your going to use that card, make sure it is supported by Windows Media Center. I have run into this problem before and it is a pain in the ass if you haven't done your research. (Make absolutely sure that the card is can and is supported by Windows Media Center)

If you have any more questions I’ll be more than happy to help out.

RichPLS

Champion
I just ordered the Asus A8R-MVP with the X1800XT.
Board was $139 incl shipping.

Also, I went with the Opteron 939pin 175.
The same thing as an X2, just a little better chip at same price (+/- $20) if you care.

pwnage

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I'm sorry but I have to say this. Your logic is flawed.

1. Opteron is a server chip and should be used as such. Unless your some crazy IT/gamer person like me. :)

2. Since you running media center, this would lead me to believe that all you going to be doing is viewing videos, pictures, and maybe some games.

3. Unless your going to be doing heavy multitasking you will NOT benefit from the Opteron's, or any other dual core processors, performance. You could have saved your self $300 or so dollars on the proc and put it to something of better use. A low to mid end Intel or AMD would have done just fine.

4. The board you have chosen is an okay one, that’s being nice. The ATI chip sets are extremely flawed. This is why you see the majority of people going with NVIDIA. Also NVIDIA bought ATI chips supplier, this is going to put the hurt on ATI's chips.

I hope you learn something from you experience building you new machine. You will have lots of fun trouble shooting it.

RichPLS

Champion
I'm sorry but I have to say this. Your logic is flawed.

1. Opteron is a server chip and should be used as such. Unless your some crazy IT/gamer person like me. :)
Opteron 1xx series are same as Athlon 64 and X2 counterparts, only better whether overclocking or not, and costs is the same for dual core within $20 a chip, I actually got an Opteron 175 OEM for $460 shipped, whereas the equivalant X2-4400 was $500

2. Since you running media center, this would lead me to believe that all you going to be doing is viewing videos, pictures, and maybe some games.
I am not running media center?!?

3. Unless your going to be doing heavy multitasking you will NOT benefit from the Opteron's, or any other dual core processors, performance. You could have saved your self $300 or so dollars on the proc and put it to something of better use. A low to mid end Intel or AMD would have done just fine.
An X2 1meg as he wants compared to the equivlant but better production Opteron, the price difference is non-existant!

4. The board you have chosen is an okay one, that’s being nice. The ATI chip sets are extremely flawed. This is why you see the majority of people going with NVIDIA. Also NVIDIA bought ATI chips supplier, this is going to put the hurt on ATI's chips.
This board is just realised, read review at AnandTech on the Asus A8r-MVP for an excellent review on a stable mainstream affordable motherboard, that will also hold up with the best of nVidia's in overclocking!

I hope you learn something from you experience building you new machine. You will have lots of fun trouble shooting it.
Touche!

TRENDING THREADS