Your question

A new system strangely high CPU usage

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • CPUs
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
December 17, 2005 7:05:25 AM

I've just installed a system, config as below, after booting up, the CPU usage is already over 40%, any suggestion?

AMD Operton 64, FX 144 (without overclocking)
Asus A8N SLI Prem (bios 1009 Oct 15), chip driver v666
Kingston DDR 400 2G
Samsung SATA II 200Gx2 (striping)
Windows 2003 Server x64, latested updated (Dec 17)

haven't instll any appliations, the CPU usage is around 40%, no strange process running, system idel process 99

To ensure no bugs or virus, have re-formatted, CPU usage is still high.

Any suggestions?

More about : system strangely high cpu usage

December 18, 2005 3:15:05 AM

I'm confused - you said system idle process 99? is that percent? But you say CPU usage is 40%? That leaves system idle with less than 60%... :?

Mike.
December 18, 2005 6:14:40 AM

i have a friend who had the same problem w/that same mobo. The system was super slow, and the CPU usage was just crazy high for just the most menial tasks(ie: opening a window in Explorer).

Solution: new mobo

I suggest DFI
Related resources
December 18, 2005 11:57:28 PM

Xc3ll, what CPU does your friend use?

Fishman, use ctl+shift+ esc, check the processe, in CPU column, the total is 100, normally when system idel process is highest number, the higher, the more CPU resource is available, then go to the performance tab, you will find CPU usage.
December 19, 2005 12:43:40 AM

I think you have a driver problem. Either you havn't installed all drivers or some driver is causing the problem. I had this problem before with a integrated C-Media sound card. There was a bug in the driver that caused the trouble.
December 19, 2005 1:38:53 AM

I've contact Asus helpdesk, they asked me to unload some drivers ( network access manager, and IDE driver). Haven't try yet.
December 19, 2005 2:51:58 PM

I know how to use the task manager, thanks. But in your post, you said:
Quote:
haven't instll any appliations, the CPU usage is around 40%, no strange process running, system idel process 99

Unless your 99 there does not mean %, that's why I'm confused... CPU usage cannot be 40% if the system idle process is 99%. See my confusion? If CPU usage is 40%, system idle should be 60%.

Mike.
December 19, 2005 10:37:39 PM

Quote:

Unless your 99 there does not mean %, that's why I'm confused... CPU usage cannot be 40% if the system idle process is 99%. See my confusion? If CPU usage is 40%, system idle should be 60%.

Mike.

There are times when task manager will misrepresent the total processor usage as well over 100% constantly. This is usually caused by one of three things in my experience:
Bad DriversMalware on the system
A Flaky Windows install - was this an upgrade or an old OS install?
A Problem with the motherboard (try a firmware update)

I have seen this causeed by all of the above. I suggest removing all your drivers and reinstalling the latest from the manufacturer (not nec. the motherboard maker) for everything. Also try updating firmware and BIOS for everything you can.
December 19, 2005 10:39:03 PM

he was using a amd 64 3500+ I think, but ur problem seems almost identical to his...
December 20, 2005 1:37:29 AM

Quote:

Mike.
Buggy drivers can cause the trouble. I had a CPU usage of 30-95% but the system idle process showed 99% all the time.
December 20, 2005 2:53:06 AM

Thx both of you - I guess I've been blessed with never seeing that yet.

Mike.
December 20, 2005 4:50:45 AM

i have an asus A8N-SLI Prem. with a 3000+ and 1gb corsair. my average cpu usage percent is about 4%. but in the same spot under system idle process it says 99. I think that it is the percentage that the process is using of the cpu persentage. (ex. 99% of 4% cpu usage) i have all the latest drivers like you but my cpu usage is only around 4% :? go figure
December 20, 2005 5:02:30 AM

Quote:
i have an asus A8N-SLI Prem. with a 3000+ and 1gb corsair. my average cpu usage percent is about 4%. but in the same spot under system idle process it says 99. I think that it is the percentage that the process is using of the cpu persentage. (ex. 99% of 4% cpu usage) i have all the latest drivers like you but my cpu usage is only around 4% :? go figure

That is incorrect. If that were true, it would be a useless indicator. Why show 4% then show the percentage of that 4% why not just show the actual percent?

System Idle Process is a M$oft invention that tracks unused clock cycles. It is meant to show you how much of the CPU is not being used.
December 22, 2005 3:46:18 AM

By the theory, system idle process should be in the line with CPU usage, but it happens sometime. I just grab an IDE HDD, plan to try a new system installation tonite.

BTW, here is a very nice reading regarding to system idle process. http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=783
December 31, 2005 12:40:09 AM

I just overclocked my nvidia graphics card and i now have the same problem. except my cpu usage is 50% and the idle is 99.

I have updated all drivers and i came across this forum by a google search on the problem i have. My graphics seem to be stable once everything loads. but firefox takes forever to load. but once its up everything is running good. same with all other applications.
January 15, 2006 5:59:32 AM

Finally, the issue turns out to be a mobo defect.
January 15, 2006 6:43:55 AM

Quote:
Finally, the issue turns out to be a mobo defect.

Interesting, how did you arive at that conclusion? I have seen damaged equipment (power surge) exhibit that behavior in addition to random times.