Sign in with
Your question

SATA RAID 1 - Mirror & Hot Swap

Last response: in Storage
December 17, 2005 6:14:19 PM

I'm thinking of setting up a backup server on our small office network, using an 80GB IDE master hard drive for the OS, and two SATA 250GB hard drives that I was planning on setting up as RAID 1. The backup server is going to pull the main documents folder from our document server live, and create a realtime mirror on the SATA drive. My question is this, if I setup the 2nd SATA drive in a remove drive case/bay, and pull it out at the end of the day to take home, and then re-insert each morning is this going to cause any issues with the RAID, essentially hot swapping out and then in? It will be plugged into a NF4 motherboard, which I've read do support hot swap, I'm more concerned with the mirror being corrupted. I haven't worked with SATA Raid before, so excuse me if this is a stupid question. Thanks for your help
December 17, 2005 6:21:06 PM

You have to buy a removable hot swappable drive bay.
If your server is running, an drive fail message will alert when removed, and will prompt to replace, but it will continue to run.
December 17, 2005 6:34:15 PM

Yes, I've bought one of those: Vantec EZ Swap 2

Beyond the error message, any further risks? Or just a PITA factor.
Related resources
December 17, 2005 6:35:30 PM

That is all I foresee. That and wear and tear on swap bay.
December 17, 2005 6:37:07 PM

Great, thanks for the help. Season's Greetings.
December 18, 2005 5:11:32 AM

And don't drop the off site drive... May do to have 2 of them and alternate them weekly.

Mike.
!