Play a dvd on pocketpc

August 30, 2004 11:43:56 PM

Can I play a DVD on my IPAQ ?
I shared a drive on my PC and mapped it on My IPAQ.
I can see the DVD files but I can't play them.
I even can't play my avi files. Media player doesn't want to start with
these files.

Any help please

More about : play dvd pocketpc

Anonymous
August 30, 2004 11:43:57 PM

You can't map a DVD drive and view the DVD on the Pocket PC. That would be
cool, but it won't work. The Pocket PC would need the software decoding to
be able to view the DVD, and chances are the network you are on couldn't
support the required bandwidth (especially if you are wireless).

AVI's won't play with WMP, as it doesn't support them.

--
Dave
www.davespda.com

"Frank Vanhoorne" <compu-coast.bvba@pandora.be> wrote in message
> Can I play a DVD on my IPAQ ?
> I shared a drive on my PC and mapped it on My IPAQ.
> I can see the DVD files but I can't play them.
> I even can't play my avi files. Media player doesn't want to start with
> these files.
>
> Any help please

Anonymous
August 31, 2004 12:14:59 AM

Using Windows Media Encoder (free) you can fairly easily stream the DVD to
your iPAQ. WME includes a profile for PPC's. Once you have the server
setup you can then open Media player on your PPC and navigate to the open
URL menu and enter your server info, example ( ort" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://192.168.1.10:p ort).

Mitch

"Frank Vanhoorne" <compu-coast.bvba@pandora.be> wrote in message
> Can I play a DVD on my IPAQ ?
> I shared a drive on my PC and mapped it on My IPAQ.
> I can see the DVD files but I can't play them.
> I even can't play my avi files. Media player doesn't want to start with
> these files.
>
> Any help please

September 1, 2004 1:11:10 AM

Have a look at DVDToPocket PC from http://www.makayama.com/dvdtopocketpc.html
They say it compresses a 100min movie so that it fits on a 128 MByte SD
Card. I tried it (Trial Version on their webpage. 11 MByte download,
restricted to compress 5 in) and just bought the full version for US$27.95

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Peter

"Frank Vanhoorne" wrote:

> Can I play a DVD on my IPAQ ?
> I shared a drive on my PC and mapped it on My IPAQ.
> I can see the DVD files but I can't play them.
> I even can't play my avi files. Media player doesn't want to start with
> these files.
>
> Any help please

Anonymous
October 1, 2004 5:42:05 PM

Hi all,

A bit late I know, but I use 'DVD To Pocket Pc' it's a great product.

Matt U.K.

"PeterNZ" <PeterNZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have a look at DVDToPocket PC from
http://www.makayama.com/dvdtopocketpc.html
> They say it compresses a 100min movie so that it fits on a 128 MByte SD
> Card. I tried it (Trial Version on their webpage. 11 MByte download,
> restricted to compress 5 in) and just bought the full version for US$27.95
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Cheers
>
> Peter
>
> "Frank Vanhoorne" wrote:
>
> > Can I play a DVD on my IPAQ ?
> > I shared a drive on my PC and mapped it on My IPAQ.
> > I can see the DVD files but I can't play them.
> > I even can't play my avi files. Media player doesn't want to start with
> > these files.
> >
> > Any help please

October 1, 2004 10:10:18 PM

In article <OOEsCX7pEHA.868@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, mm_lewis@-No-SpAm-
hotmail.com says...
> Hi all,
>
> A bit late I know, but I use 'DVD To Pocket Pc' it's a great product.
>
> Matt U.K.
>
> "PeterNZ" <PeterNZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Have a look at DVDToPocket PC from
> http://www.makayama.com/dvdtopocketpc.html

Well I cannot get the demo to work and see no apparent help plus much
pain ahead. How is it a "great" product?

Beemer
October 1, 2004 10:25:09 PM

I concur with the previous posters. You don't have to have DVD to
Pocket PC, but it is easy and cool. Make sure you install1 Windows
Media Encoder. If I recall correctly, the program uses it. Here is
the text from the programs Quick Guide:

1] Put a DVD in your desktop PC, click Open and select the Title (the
one with the longest duration)

[2] Choose between High Quality (if you have 256 Mb memorycard) and
Normal Quality (if you have 128 Mb)

[3] Click Action and the PC will start converting.

[4] After a couple of hours, the file DVD.wmv will be on your desktop
and you can copy it to your Pocket PC using Active Sync (slow) or a
memorycardreader (fast).

[5] On your Pocket PC, open the Windows Media Player and play the
DVD.wmv file. From the Tools Menu, select Audio and Video Settings and
set Play video in full screen to Always.

Your DVD will now play in full screen landscape mode with stereo
sound. Enjoy the movie !!
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 9:30:08 AM

i tried for ages and couldnt get it to work either
i now use pocketvdv studio and it works great
however the player they recomend didnt work on my ppc
i downloaded the free beta player and both work fine
stan
On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 18:10:18 GMT, Beemer <beemer@nowhere.com> wrote:

>In article <OOEsCX7pEHA.868@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, mm_lewis@-No-SpAm-
>hotmail.com says...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> A bit late I know, but I use 'DVD To Pocket Pc' it's a great product.
>>
>> Matt U.K.
>>
>> "PeterNZ" <PeterNZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Have a look at DVDToPocket PC from
>> http://www.makayama.com/dvdtopocketpc.html
>
>Well I cannot get the demo to work and see no apparent help plus much
>pain ahead. How is it a "great" product?
>
>Beemer
October 2, 2004 9:30:09 AM

Reply to message from S. WATSON <ukstan124@yahoo.co.uk> (Sat, 02 Oct 2004
01:30:08) about "Re: Play a dvd on pocketpc":

Does windows media player not work for this? Just this week I started
converting some shows I recorded on my PVR to WMV format. This seems to
work OK because I haven't found a better / cheper combination . I'm
certainly interested though if someone knows of a better low cost solution.

Bye
Ann <nospam@netzero.com> Sat, 02 Oct 2004 03:36:20 -0400

i tried for ages and couldnt get it to work either i now use pocketvdv
studio and it works great however the player they recomend didnt work on my
ppc i downloaded the free beta player and both work fine stan
On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 18:10:18 GMT, Beemer <beemer@nowhere.com> wrote:

> In article <OOEsCX7pEHA.868@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, mm_lewis@-No-SpAm-
> hotmail.com says...
>> Hi all,

>> A bit late I know, but I use 'DVD To Pocket Pc' it's a great product.

>> Matt U.K.

>> "PeterNZ" <PeterNZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
>> 894BB9D2-D3B0-41ED-85D9-A5D657103EA5@microsoft.com...
>>> Have a look at DVDToPocket PC from
>> http://www.makayama.com/dvdtopocketpc.html

> Well I cannot get the demo to work and see no apparent help plus much
> pain ahead. How is it a "great" product?

> Beemer
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 3:06:35 PM

Have a look at PocketDivxEncoder:

http://divx.ppccool.com/

It's free and fairly simple to use. Combine this with the free
BetaPlayer and you have a great multimedia solution for your PPC.

!