nojoy

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
im getting ready to order a new dell pc thru employees deal from work
sad thing is dell doesnt carry amd.
I have to choose to build a system with a 1500 budget
so i came up with 2 and need some advice

first is the dual core 3.2ghz geforce 6800 and 1g dual channel memory
or get something less like a 2.8 dual core 512 megs of dual channel memory and i can sneak in a fat 7800gtx.

i can also save alot buy staying with a normal p4 3.4-3.8 ghz 1g dual channel memory and a fat vid card, 7800 or even the xl 1800 series.

my question for gaming what would you suggest. im not to sure how much faster these dual core cpus are comapred to the normal p4's
and which style of system to go with. well rounded lesser vid card.
Or lesser vid card and better cpu. HELP ME GRRRR

Able72

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
question, is the $1500 bucks your spending cash you have?

If so, I wouldn't go with a dell. you'd be better off ordering from someone else for the money. Heck, for $1500 I could build one heck of a gaming machine. I'd try alienware or someplace else.

If its some kind of company 'credit' and not something you can spend with a different company then scratch all that.

Go with the single core P4 3.4-3.8 CPU, 1Gig ram and the 7800 vid card.

When it arrives though, you might wanna double check the capabilities of all the cards. I used to work for Creative and the cards we sold them were 'slimed' down "cheaper" versions that had fewer features than our full retail card. Thats the way they wanted it.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
A faster single core will probably perform better for normal use and games today. It doesn't sound like you'll be using software that can really make dual core shine any time soon.

I personally wouldn't get the 2.8g DC just because its below 3 ghz. Kindof arbitrary I know, but 3ghz seems to be a magic # for Prescotts - below that they seem slow, and HT will help keep it responsive long enough into the dual core 'era' - if it happens that way - that you'll have good longevity.

For gaming definitely get 1gig of RAM - get the faster stuff if you can - gotta keep that core supplied with RAM, especially if you get the DC.

I think the balance is not to waste it on the GTX, but pay about 300 or so (I know Dell pricing isn't Newegg pricing LOL) and lose the dual core if you have to (but get the 830 if you can). At least a 6800 GT or GS. 7800GT or X1800 would make a long lasting system but not if you have to drop back to a 3.0g single core to do it.

Mike.

nojoy

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
able72 , nah if it was spending cash i would of gone amd or tried building my own. this is 1500 company money we us employees can only spend on a new system thru dell.

shoephone

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I wouldn't go through Alienware. Just tried to by $3700 worth of workstation from them. After 5 days of sitting on my money, they emailed me on a friday night to let me know the build of my system was postponed until a dvd burner came in. In the end, I canceled my order two weeks later...and they SHIPPED my order the day after I canceled it. Now I have to wait 10 days from when the get the system back for my money to be back in my account. I'm going Dell or HP or home built...hell, even gateway before going to Alienware again.

Sorry for the rant, but I read this post just after I got off my daily call to alienware asking where my money is.