Quick Help Needed on Connecting a Laptop and HP5SiMX Printer

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b D Laptop
September 17, 2004 4:31:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

Hey Everybody:

Need your help. I'm trying to connect an HP5SiMX printer directly to
my laptop so that I can print some files. Unfortunately, the printer
doesn't have a USB port -- only a parallel port -- so I can't go the
USB route, which is my normal way of doing things.

Since both my laptop and the printer have standard RJ45 network jacks,
however, I'm thinking there must be some simple way to connect the two
devices directly with a networking cable and get some files printed.
So I've tried just plugging in a cable directly, and messing around
with a few settings (and having my laptop "search" for a compatible
network printer) but it can't seem to find it. I then have tried
running both the laptop and the printer into a small powered hub I had
lying around. I get green link lights from both devices, but still,
they don't seem to want to talk to one another.

The HP website hasn't been able to give me the answer I need, so I'm
turning to you all for some useful suggestions. Is there a way to
directly connect a computer and printer in this fashion without
running them through an official "print server" or something similar?

If there's any more information I can provide that might be useful,
please let me know. I've printed out the printer's TCP/IP
configuration page and have all of the system information. Thanks for
your help!

P.S. My laptop is running Windows XP Professional; I saw the "Windows
NT" designation in the name of this newsgroup, but it seemed like it
was the best forum for other printer issues, as well...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 20, 2004 2:07:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.print,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

a more appropriate group is
microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax

Since you have the IP address of the device create a Local printer that uses
a Standard TCP/IP Port
just follow the steps. The HP network card should be auto configured to
accept data on TCP port 9100.
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/Printing%20to%20Print%2...

--
Alan Morris