Dead Epson 2000P

I'm in a time crunch here, so any input would be appreciated...

I use my Epson 2000P to produce prints for sale in art fairs and galleries.
I've gearing up for holiday sales and sent a large batch of images to it
earlier today. In the past few days it has flawlessly printed a few hundred
images (mostly small 4x6 images that will go on note cards.)

A few hours ago, I sent several images to the printer, to be printed on a 4
inch premium semigloss paper roll. I am back to find that only the first 3
image printed. About halfway through image #4, everything stopped. All of
the lights (two red, one green) on the printer are blinking. Unplugging the
printer from the power source does nothing. The print head was locked into
the far right position - I manually released the catch that held it in
place, and now it freely moves about, but the printer never engages it.
Pulling the cartridges does nothing (I thought maybe there was a bad chip in
one.) Pressing the button to reload ink does nothing. Pressing the other
buttons, either alone or in combination, does nothing. When I unplug the USB
cable and plug it back in, nothing happens.The printer shows up as "offline"
in the control panel.

Is there any reset button or other trick I can try? I may need to just bite
the bullet and go up to the 2200, but being on a shoestring budget I've been
reluctant to upgrade. Any advice would be appreciated.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mark Cassino Photography
Kalamazoo, MI
www.markcassino.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I take it this printer has had a lot of use over the last few years.

Chances are you have hit the waste ink pad protection numbers, which I
also call the Epson protection racket.

In theory, it is designed to make sure the waste ink pads which hold
all the ink that is collected from head cleanings on initiation,
purging, cleaning cycles, during printing, etc, doesn't start leaking
and ruin your furniture, rugs, and maybe even printer.

The reason I say "in theory" is because they are often set relatively
conservatively, and secondly, there are other possible motives for this
"time bomb" built into your printer.

The waste ink pads are not a user serviceable part. You are supposed to
bring it into your Epson authorized dealer who will then order the part
and take your printer apart to remove the waste ink "diapers".

Cost is often $60 - $100.

There is little reason these could not have been user serviceable, or
that a warning that this would occur isn't on the printer, so you can be
prepared for it. Instead the printer goes dead right in the middle of
the job, leaving you stranded.

On most Epson printers there is a series of codes to reset the printer,
however, know that doing so may lead to an waste ink overflow condition.
It isn't likely on the first reset, especially if you have owned the
printer fro several years and it has had some time for the ink to
partially evaporate. However, know that pigmented inks such as used in
the 2000P do have more solid residue, and that you reset at your own
risk of leaking ink from out of the bottom of the printer (so put it in
a lunch tray or something!

I do not have the reset codes for the 2000P, but being in the 1270/80/90
family, you may be successful with these, although you do so at your own
peril. You may try contacting Epson and demanding the reset information.

WASTE INK ROM RESET ONLY 870, 1270

1. Turn the printer off using the power button on the panel of the printer.
2. Disconnect the interface cable at the back of the printer.
3. Hold down the "LOAD/EJECT" and "CLEANING" buttons simultaneously.
4. Turn the printer on. Release all buttons as soon as paper out light
flashes.
5. Quickly press (within 3 seconds while PAPER OUT light is flashing)
the "CLEANING" button for 10 seconds.
6. Release the button and the printer will initialize.
7. Once initialization is complete, turn the printer off.
8. Reconnect the interface cable.
9. Turn the printer on
=============
For the 1290, 1280 or 890 printer:

Turn off the printer for at least 20 seconds

To enter the special setting mode, press the Maintenance button and
the Roll Paper button while turning on the printer until the Power
indicator blinks.

While it is still blinking (for 3 seconds), press the specified button
to activate the desirable
setting mode.

_ EEPROM/Timer IC Reset:
The following will be reset Maintenance button is pressed for 10 seconds.
_ Interface selection, CL Time and Power Off timer

_ Waste Ink Counter Reset:
The following will be reset when the Roll Paper button is pressed for 10
seconds.

Best of luck,

Art

Mark Cassino wrote:

> I'm in a time crunch here, so any input would be appreciated...
>
> I use my Epson 2000P to produce prints for sale in art fairs and galleries.
> I've gearing up for holiday sales and sent a large batch of images to it
> earlier today. In the past few days it has flawlessly printed a few hundred
> images (mostly small 4x6 images that will go on note cards.)
>
> A few hours ago, I sent several images to the printer, to be printed on a 4
> inch premium semigloss paper roll. I am back to find that only the first 3
> image printed. About halfway through image #4, everything stopped. All of
> the lights (two red, one green) on the printer are blinking. Unplugging the
> printer from the power source does nothing. The print head was locked into
> the far right position - I manually released the catch that held it in
> place, and now it freely moves about, but the printer never engages it.
> Pulling the cartridges does nothing (I thought maybe there was a bad chip in
> one.) Pressing the button to reload ink does nothing. Pressing the other
> buttons, either alone or in combination, does nothing. When I unplug the USB
> cable and plug it back in, nothing happens.The printer shows up as "offline"
> in the control panel.
>
> Is there any reset button or other trick I can try? I may need to just bite
> the bullet and go up to the 2200, but being on a shoestring budget I've been
> reluctant to upgrade. Any advice would be appreciated.
>

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> Mark Cassino Photography
> Kalamazoo, MI
> www.markcassino.com
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

THANKS! The reset sequence for the 1270 put it back on line, and it has
been chugging away on yesterday's print job for the last hour or so. I have
yet to find my manual for this printer (haven't consulted it in years) but
the on-line manual makes no mention of this situation.

I'll keep watch for the ink overflow problem - it's on a glass table so I
doubt that there will be any problem.

Thanks again!

- MCC
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mark Cassino Photography
Kalamazoo, MI
www.markcassino.com

"Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
>I take it this printer has had a lot of use over the last few years.
>
> Chances are you have hit the waste ink pad protection numbers, which I
> also call the Epson protection racket.
>
> In theory, it is designed to make sure the waste ink pads which hold
> all the ink that is collected from head cleanings on initiation, purging,
> cleaning cycles, during printing, etc, doesn't start leaking and ruin your
> furniture, rugs, and maybe even printer.
>
> The reason I say "in theory" is because they are often set relatively
> conservatively, and secondly, there are other possible motives for this
> "time bomb" built into your printer.
>
> The waste ink pads are not a user serviceable part. You are supposed to
> bring it into your Epson authorized dealer who will then order the part
> and take your printer apart to remove the waste ink "diapers".
>
> Cost is often $60 - $100.
>
> There is little reason these could not have been user serviceable, or that
> a warning that this would occur isn't on the printer, so you can be
> prepared for it. Instead the printer goes dead right in the middle of the
> job, leaving you stranded.
>
> On most Epson printers there is a series of codes to reset the printer,
> however, know that doing so may lead to an waste ink overflow condition.
> It isn't likely on the first reset, especially if you have owned the
> printer fro several years and it has had some time for the ink to
> partially evaporate. However, know that pigmented inks such as used in
> the 2000P do have more solid residue, and that you reset at your own risk
> of leaking ink from out of the bottom of the printer (so put it in a lunch
> tray or something!
>

> I do not have the reset codes for the 2000P, but being in the 1270/80/90
> family, you may be successful with these, although you do so at your own
> peril. You may try contacting Epson and demanding the reset information.
>
> WASTE INK ROM RESET ONLY 870, 1270
>
> 1. Turn the printer off using the power button on the panel of the
> printer.
> 2. Disconnect the interface cable at the back of the printer.
> 3. Hold down the "LOAD/EJECT" and "CLEANING" buttons simultaneously.
> 4. Turn the printer on. Release all buttons as soon as paper out light
> flashes.
> 5. Quickly press (within 3 seconds while PAPER OUT light is flashing)
> the "CLEANING" button for 10 seconds.
> 6. Release the button and the printer will initialize.
> 7. Once initialization is complete, turn the printer off.
> 8. Reconnect the interface cable.
> 9. Turn the printer on

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:50:35 -0400, "Mark Cassino"
<mcassino@chartermi.net> wrote:

>inch premium semigloss paper roll. I am back to find that only the first 3
>image printed. About halfway through image #4, everything stopped. All of
>the lights (two red, one green) on the printer are blinking.

The LED flashing pattern indicates a maintenance request error. The
solution is to replace the waste ink pads and reset the waste ink
counter.