First Post - first build power issue?

delltsr

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
I am pulling my hair out. Bought a bunch of equipment, cheap inexpensive system for wife, thought I would build my first one. All excited, but when I plug everything in, no power except to mobo. HD does not spin, is this all due to powersupply? Not enough power?

Basic Kybd/mouse
HD: Western Digital 80gb
Video Card: Geforce4 MX 4000 PCI (VGA + S-Video outputs)
Memory:Corsair Value Select memory - 256 MB - DIMM 184-pin - DDR
Motherboard: Biostar GeForce 6100-M7 NVIDIA Socket 754 MicroATX Motherboard / Audio / PCI Express / 10/100 Ethernet LAN / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA / RAID
Case: Just-4-PC 850 Black Micro ATX Desktop Case with Front USB and Audio Ports and 250-Watt Power Supply

By the way, thanks to whatever help is offered.
It is apprecited.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I'd be willing to bet on the PSU - a good 250w may power that system, but usually PSUs included with cases are cruddy. If it was 350w it may run the system but not 250w. Get a good 300w or more if you expect to upgrade with more hard drives or other stuff. Something from Fortron Source, Sparkle, Enermax, Antec.

Then make sure you don't have any standoffs in the wrong place or other shorts. Reset the CMOS using the jumper or pull the battery for 10 min or so. Try taking the board out of the case and setting it on a phone book or similar non-conductive surface to make sure it isn't shorting on simething. Have only the CPU, CPU HSF, chipset fan(if there is one), one stick of RAM and video card installed and see if it posts. Then add the other stick, hard drive and configure it. Reinstall in case and retest, install OS and go.

Mike.

delltsr

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Another questions to go along with this power issue. I notice that when I connect the power supply, 20 pin to the mobo, it has 4 open slots, not the 4 prong connection to the CPU fan, the power supply just does not fill all of available holes on the mobo. So to f/u with that, do I buy the power supply with the option of the 20+4 pin? Shouldn't the power supply fill up all of the slots on the mobo?

I appreciate your help!

pat

Expert
If you look closely to your motherboard, it should have a 4 pins square connector somewhere near the CPU. Your PSU is too old and probably lack the connector to put in this socket. This is to supply power to the CPU, so don't expect it to turn on if it don't have power.

The 24 pins connector can be used with 20pins PSU. It should be connected in a way that the 4 pins missing wires are grouped together, so you don't center the connector in. If you use some common sense, you'll figure out the right way to put it in. But since you have to get a new PSU get one that already has 24 pins. And yes, the 4 pins connector has to be plugged too.

delltsr

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
alright, so I got the new power supply in, took everything apart and replugged in all things, even cpu (yes w/o jamming it in their!).
I still have no power to the hard drive alone or with the cdrom.

I went from the 200watt ps to the 350.

Any other ideas? Could this possibly be a dead mobo or maybe just part of the mobo that could be dead?

Thanks again for any advice!

pat

Expert
maybe a grounding issue.. try the board outside the case on a non conductive surface, with only cpu/cooler, video card and ram

If it work, then there is something that is shorting the board.