Unable to Add Local Printer in WinNT

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

Hello,

When I try to add a new printer using Add Printer Wizard,
the "My Computer" option is greyed out, leaving only
the "Network Printer Server" option available. I am
logged in as an Administrator. Please help.

Bong

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

What OS version are you using?

Can you install printer drivers or ports?

--
Felix Maxa
Windows Printing Team

"BMW" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> When I try to add a new printer using Add Printer Wizard,
> the "My Computer" option is greyed out, leaving only
> the "Network Printer Server" option available. I am
> logged in as an Administrator. Please help.
>
> Bong

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. In response to your questions:

>What OS version are you using?
I'm currently using WinNT 4.00.1381

>Can you install printer drivers or ports?
I have not tried installing directly from any Driver CD.
But I am actually interested to add a "Generic/Text Only"
Printer.

B.R.,
Bong

>Can you install printer drivers or ports?
>
>--
>Felix Maxa
>Windows Printing Team

confers no rights.

>"BMW" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

Also,

When I tried to install a HP LaserJet 4200n drivers by
running directly (setup.exe), and selecting the
printer "Connected to this computer", I get an error
message "The hp LaserJet 4200 Setup program has
encountered a severe error and will now exit. Restart
your computer and run Setup again." after I click on
Next. This does not happen however, if I select
the "Connected to the Network" option.

Bong.

and
>confers no rights.
>>

>>"BMW" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>message
>
>.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

I have setup many printers for offices and there is one
office I will never forget. If someone else has setup the
computer make sure they have installed and configured the
computer properly. Something I took for granted. If you
can look inside the computer to see if the printer port is
actually attached the motherboard. 2nd make sure the bios
of the motherboard has the priter port turned on (enabled)
then try reinstalling the software.
GOOD LUCK