nimesha

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Hi,
I have a Transcend 256 memory module (JM334D643A-50) (JetRam Chipset, DIMM 2.5-3-3) and Kingston 256 (KVR400X64C3A/256 (Infineon Chipset) and it is DIMM 3-3-3)(Single Channal). Please tell me what is the best CAS Latency and RAS to CAS delay that I can run.

As a experiment, I set the CAS latency to 2, (But kingston says it is 3 and transcend says it is 2.5 and otherwise system will unstable) AND RAS to CAS delay to 2(But kingston and transcend says it is 3 and otherwise system will unstable) Other settings are AUTO. But my system boot up normally and it improved my system's performance.

Please tell me is it OK to keep thease settings and will thease settings damage my memory modules after a long time?

and also please tell me will thease settings increase memory chip's temperature. ?

My System Config,s is

MSI KT4V (MS-6712) Mainboard (VIA KT400 NB and VT8235 SB),
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ Processor
RAM as above mentioned,
Samsung Spinpoint SP0802N HDD,
O/S, Windows XP professional Edition,
Mainboard BIOS is AMI BIOS,

Thank you,
Nimesha Silva
nimeshasilva@yahoo.com

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Download Memtest86 and Prime95. Run each of them for a few hours after making timing changes to test the stability of the changes. Any errors, changes aren't stable, back them off. Best timings are the lowest that give you the best performance.

Timing won't add heat, voltage will. An additional 0.1 volt won't hurt, but running RAM rated for 2.7v at 3.2v will add extra heat and lower its lifespan. 2.8v probably won't do any harm (check warranty details and decide if you want to void your warranty if you do this) and may improve stability to run at tighter timings.

Mike.