Overclocking beyond 10%

TheGr8t7

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Hi guys, i do a lot of gaming with my computer. I have an AMD Athlon 64 3400+, 1GB of Corsaid DDR 3200 Platinum Pro RAM, Asus K8V SE Motherboard, 500wThermaltake Purepower supply, Thermaltake Big Typhoon CPU cooler and a Leadtek GEforce 6800GT Video Card.

I have been able to overclock my motherboard's FSB from the standard 200mhz, to 220mhz which increases my processor speed from 2.2ghz to 2.42 ghz. If i go beyond 220mhz things seem to get a bit unstable.

Anyways I have read before on tonshardware.com about how he overclocks beyond 10% especially with water cooled systems. So im wondering is 10% the max anyone can get with total stability? How can you go beyond this 10% and still have stability if any.

My CPU temp only hits about 110 degrees when im gaming online. Otherwise it is only about 90 degrees. I have 6 fans in my case, so im wondering how i can push beyond this threshold of 10%.

I would love some feedback on this, thanks

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Well, when you're overclocking you are ramping up the speed of the CPU, the RAM, and the motherboard. All 3 have to be able to handle the overclock. You can get around it some ways (CPU the limit? Lower the multiplier or raise the vCore, RAM the limit? Run it on a divider or loosen the timings.

10% is actually pretty low for that CPU. Should be able to get 15-20% on stock, 25%+ on upgraded air cooling, and more if you go water or exotic (peltier, LN2, etc.)

There are some overclocking guides in the CPU overclocking sections. Read up and it should help some.

Mike.