Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Incompatible version of the RPC stub

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 2:21:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

I am getting the following two errors:

(when I try to print from Internet Explorer 6)
Internet Explorer Script Error
Line: 228
Char: 1
Error: Incompatible version of the RPC stub.
Code: 0
URL: res://C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\SHDOCLC.DLL/preview.dlg

(when I try to use the find command on an IE 6 screen)
Error: 49
Incompatible version of the RPC stub.

I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 on Windows NT 4.0 Build 1381
SP 6 on an old HP Vectra VL Pentium II. (I know, but I'm poor.)

I think the problem started after I mistakenly downloaded and installed the
Windows 2000 version of the Windows 5.6 Scripting Engine instead of
the one for Windows NT. (I can't even remember now what previous
problem I had that I thought the scripting engine would fix.)

I'm not sure if the scripting engine is to blame, though, because my
sister also uses the computer for a lot of online games that put
adware/spyware on the computer.

I did some searching online and found previous messages about the RPC
stub error message, so here's what I tried:

I replaced the oleaut32.dll with an older version (a new one had been
installed). I've now got version 2.40.4515, but the problem remained.

I checked my version of dispex.dll. It's 5.6.0.8825.

I also found and installed the NT version of the Windows 5.6 Scripting
Engine, scr56en.exe, but it didn't fix things either.

I tried running mcrepair.exe. Didn't help.

I tried deleting all cookies, Internet files, and objects, and
rebooting. Still didn't work.

I'm not sure what to try next. I'd realy appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 11:09:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

Try, in order:

1. (Re-)Installing 5.6 Scripting Engine from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/down...

2a. Start>Run>Regsvr32 vbscript.dll

2b. Start>Run>Regsvr32 jscript.dll

3. Re-register all DLLs listed in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

4a. IE Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>Browsing>Enable third-party browser
extensions (uncheck & reboot).

4b. Find the hijacker that caused 4a to be checked (or if none were checked,
check for hijackware anyway):

Dealing with Hijackware
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm#tshoot
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

You *must* seek updates for Ad-Aware, Spybot, etc., before each and every
use, even "right out of the box". But even then, they can't catch
everything. When all else fails, HijackThis
(http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe) is the preferred
tool to use. It will help you to both identify and remove any
hijackware/spyware. **Post your files to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ or
the HijackThis Logs forum at http://forum.aumha.org/ for expert analysis,
not here.**

Also update your virus definitions and then run a full system scan. From
now on, do both daily.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

WinXP SP2: What's New for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/ieoeoverview.msp...

What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/deviou...

AumHa Forums
http://forum.aumha.org


vs wrote:
> I am getting the following two errors:
>
> (when I try to print from Internet Explorer 6)
> Internet Explorer Script Error
> Line: 228
> Char: 1
> Error: Incompatible version of the RPC stub.
> Code: 0
> URL: res://C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\SHDOCLC.DLL/preview.dlg
>
> (when I try to use the find command on an IE 6 screen)
> Error: 49
> Incompatible version of the RPC stub.
>
> I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 on Windows NT 4.0 Build 1381
> SP 6 on an old HP Vectra VL Pentium II. (I know, but I'm poor.)
>
> I think the problem started after I mistakenly downloaded and installed
> the
> Windows 2000 version of the Windows 5.6 Scripting Engine instead of
> the one for Windows NT. (I can't even remember now what previous
> problem I had that I thought the scripting engine would fix.)
>
> I'm not sure if the scripting engine is to blame, though, because my
> sister also uses the computer for a lot of online games that put
> adware/spyware on the computer.
>
> I did some searching online and found previous messages about the RPC
> stub error message, so here's what I tried:
>
> I replaced the oleaut32.dll with an older version (a new one had been
> installed). I've now got version 2.40.4515, but the problem remained.
>
> I checked my version of dispex.dll. It's 5.6.0.8825.
>
> I also found and installed the NT version of the Windows 5.6 Scripting
> Engine, scr56en.exe, but it didn't fix things either.
>
> I tried running mcrepair.exe. Didn't help.
>
> I tried deleting all cookies, Internet files, and objects, and
> rebooting. Still didn't work.
>
> I'm not sure what to try next. I'd realy appreciate any suggestions.
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 1:53:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

I also tried BHODemon, which someone suggested in the emails last
year, but it didn't help. I'm no techie. I know just enough to be
dangerous.

Does anyone have another idea?

Thanks

vsesq@concentric.net (vs) wrote in message news:<103eb22b.0409280921.172cd4c7@posting.google.com>...
> I am getting the following two errors:
>
> (when I try to print from Internet Explorer 6)
> Internet Explorer Script Error
> Line: 228
> Char: 1
> Error: Incompatible version of the RPC stub.
> Code: 0
> URL: res://C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\SHDOCLC.DLL/preview.dlg
>
> (when I try to use the find command on an IE 6 screen)
> Error: 49
> Incompatible version of the RPC stub.
>
> I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 on Windows NT 4.0 Build 1381
> SP 6 on an old HP Vectra VL Pentium II. (I know, but I'm poor.)
>
> I think the problem started after I mistakenly downloaded and installed the
> Windows 2000 version of the Windows 5.6 Scripting Engine instead of
> the one for Windows NT. (I can't even remember now what previous
> problem I had that I thought the scripting engine would fix.)
>
> I'm not sure if the scripting engine is to blame, though, because my
> sister also uses the computer for a lot of online games that put
> adware/spyware on the computer.
>
> I did some searching online and found previous messages about the RPC
> stub error message, so here's what I tried:
>
> I replaced the oleaut32.dll with an older version (a new one had been
> installed). I've now got version 2.40.4515, but the problem remained.
>
> I checked my version of dispex.dll. It's 5.6.0.8825.
>
> I also found and installed the NT version of the Windows 5.6 Scripting
> Engine, scr56en.exe, but it didn't fix things either.
>
> I tried running mcrepair.exe. Didn't help.
>
> I tried deleting all cookies, Internet files, and objects, and
> rebooting. Still didn't work.
>
> I'm not sure what to try next. I'd realy appreciate any suggestions.
>
> Thanks
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 10:53:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

See replies to your post of 28 Sept-04 (I replied barely 6 hours after you
first posted).

Please always reply to your original thread and do not edit the subject in
your replies.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

WinXP SP2: What's New for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/ieoeoverview.msp...

What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/deviou...

"There is no 'silver bullet' solution."
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=33131

vs wrote:
> I also tried BHODemon, which someone suggested in the emails last
> year, but it didn't help. I'm no techie. I know just enough to be
> dangerous.
>
> Does anyone have another idea?
>
> Thanks
>
> vsesq@concentric.net (vs) wrote in message
> news:<103eb22b.0409280921.172cd4c7@posting.google.com>...
>> I am getting the following two errors:
>>
>> (when I try to print from Internet Explorer 6)
>> Internet Explorer Script Error
>> Line: 228
>> Char: 1
>> Error: Incompatible version of the RPC stub.
>> Code: 0
>> URL: res://C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\SHDOCLC.DLL/preview.dlg
>>
>> (when I try to use the find command on an IE 6 screen)
>> Error: 49
>> Incompatible version of the RPC stub.
>>
>> I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 on Windows NT 4.0 Build 1381
>> SP 6 on an old HP Vectra VL Pentium II. (I know, but I'm poor.)
>>
>> I think the problem started after I mistakenly downloaded and installed
>> the
>> Windows 2000 version of the Windows 5.6 Scripting Engine instead of
>> the one for Windows NT. (I can't even remember now what previous
>> problem I had that I thought the scripting engine would fix.)
>>
>> I'm not sure if the scripting engine is to blame, though, because my
>> sister also uses the computer for a lot of online games that put
>> adware/spyware on the computer.
>>
>> I did some searching online and found previous messages about the RPC
>> stub error message, so here's what I tried:
>>
>> I replaced the oleaut32.dll with an older version (a new one had been
>> installed). I've now got version 2.40.4515, but the problem remained.
>>
>> I checked my version of dispex.dll. It's 5.6.0.8825.
>>
>> I also found and installed the NT version of the Windows 5.6 Scripting
>> Engine, scr56en.exe, but it didn't fix things either.
>>
>> I tried running mcrepair.exe. Didn't help.
>>
>> I tried deleting all cookies, Internet files, and objects, and
>> rebooting. Still didn't work.
>>
>> I'm not sure what to try next. I'd realy appreciate any suggestions.
>>
>> Thanks
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 11:39:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

Thanks for your suggestions on fixing my problem with printing from
> explorer and using control-find. To let you know the rest of the story, I
> followed your suggestions, but the problem was still there, so I gave up
> and uninstalled and reinstalled Internet Explorer. That seems to have
> fixed
> the problems, as I no longer get either of the error messages, and
> control-find now is working.
>
> In a sad commentary on how my week is going, now my printer seems to be on
> the fritz. I can't print from either IE6 or any other programs. It makes
> all the right sounds as if it's going to print, then turns on the error
> light. Sigh.
>
> Thanks for your help, though.

"PA Bear" <PABear@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<em0F#AbpEHA.3392@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
> Try, in order:
>
> 1. (Re-)Installing 5.6 Scripting Engine from
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/down...
>
> 2a. Start>Run>Regsvr32 vbscript.dll
>
> 2b. Start>Run>Regsvr32 jscript.dll
>
> 3. Re-register all DLLs listed in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679
>
> 4a. IE Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>Browsing>Enable third-party browser
> extensions (uncheck & reboot).
>
> 4b. Find the hijacker that caused 4a to be checked (or if none were checked,
> check for hijackware anyway):
>
> Dealing with Hijackware
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm#tshoot
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>
> You *must* seek updates for Ad-Aware, Spybot, etc., before each and every
> use, even "right out of the box". But even then, they can't catch
> everything. When all else fails, HijackThis
> (http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe) is the preferred
> tool to use. It will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware. **Post your files to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ or
> the HijackThis Logs forum at http://forum.aumha.org/ for expert analysis,
> not here.**
>
> Also update your virus definitions and then run a full system scan. From
> now on, do both daily.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP
>
> WinXP SP2: What's New for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/ieoeoverview.msp...
>
> What You Should Know About Spyware
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/deviou...
>
> AumHa Forums
> http://forum.aumha.org
>
>
>
!