Incompatible version of the RPC stub

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

I am getting the following two errors:

(when I try to print from Internet Explorer 6)
Internet Explorer Script Error
Line: 228
Char: 1
Error: Incompatible version of the RPC stub.
Code: 0

(when I try to use the find command on an IE 6 screen)
Error: 49
Incompatible version of the RPC stub.

I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 on Windows NT 4.0 Build 1381
SP 6 on an old HP Vectra VL Pentium II. (I know, but I'm poor.)

I think the problem started after I mistakenly downloaded and installed the
Windows 2000 version of the Windows 5.6 Scripting Engine instead of
the one for Windows NT. (I can't even remember now what previous
problem I had that I thought the scripting engine would fix.)

I'm not sure if the scripting engine is to blame, though, because my
sister also uses the computer for a lot of online games that put
adware/spyware on the computer.

I did some searching online and found previous messages about the RPC
stub error message, so here's what I tried:

I replaced the oleaut32.dll with an older version (a new one had been
installed). I've now got version 2.40.4515, but the problem remained.

I checked my version of dispex.dll. It's 5.6.0.8825.

I also found and installed the NT version of the Windows 5.6 Scripting
Engine, scr56en.exe, but it didn't fix things either.

I tried running mcrepair.exe. Didn't help.

I tried deleting all cookies, Internet files, and objects, and
rebooting. Still didn't work.

I'm not sure what to try next. I'd realy appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about incompatible version stub
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

    Try, in order:

    1. (Re-)Installing 5.6 Scripting Engine from
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp

    2a. Start>Run>Regsvr32 vbscript.dll

    2b. Start>Run>Regsvr32 jscript.dll

    3. Re-register all DLLs listed in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

    4a. IE Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>Browsing>Enable third-party browser
    extensions (uncheck & reboot).

    4b. Find the hijacker that caused 4a to be checked (or if none were checked,
    check for hijackware anyway):

    Dealing with Hijackware
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm#tshoot
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    You *must* seek updates for Ad-Aware, Spybot, etc., before each and every
    use, even "right out of the box". But even then, they can't catch
    everything. When all else fails, HijackThis
    (http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe) is the preferred
    tool to use. It will help you to both identify and remove any
    hijackware/spyware. **Post your files to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ or
    the HijackThis Logs forum at http://forum.aumha.org/ for expert analysis,
    not here.**

    Also update your virus definitions and then run a full system scan. From
    now on, do both daily.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

    WinXP SP2: What's New for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/ieoeoverview.mspx

    What You Should Know About Spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

    AumHa Forums
    http://forum.aumha.org

    vs wrote:
    > I am getting the following two errors:
    >
    > (when I try to print from Internet Explorer 6)
    > Internet Explorer Script Error
    > Line: 228
    > Char: 1
    > Error: Incompatible version of the RPC stub.
    > Code: 0
    >
    > (when I try to use the find command on an IE 6 screen)
    > Error: 49
    > Incompatible version of the RPC stub.
    >
    > I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 on Windows NT 4.0 Build 1381
    > SP 6 on an old HP Vectra VL Pentium II. (I know, but I'm poor.)
    >
    > I think the problem started after I mistakenly downloaded and installed
    > the
    > Windows 2000 version of the Windows 5.6 Scripting Engine instead of
    > the one for Windows NT. (I can't even remember now what previous
    > problem I had that I thought the scripting engine would fix.)
    >
    > I'm not sure if the scripting engine is to blame, though, because my
    > sister also uses the computer for a lot of online games that put
    > adware/spyware on the computer.
    >
    > I did some searching online and found previous messages about the RPC
    > stub error message, so here's what I tried:
    >
    > I replaced the oleaut32.dll with an older version (a new one had been
    > installed). I've now got version 2.40.4515, but the problem remained.
    >
    > I checked my version of dispex.dll. It's 5.6.0.8825.
    >
    > I also found and installed the NT version of the Windows 5.6 Scripting
    > Engine, scr56en.exe, but it didn't fix things either.
    >
    > I tried running mcrepair.exe. Didn't help.
    >
    > I tried deleting all cookies, Internet files, and objects, and
    > rebooting. Still didn't work.
    >
    > I'm not sure what to try next. I'd realy appreciate any suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

    I also tried BHODemon, which someone suggested in the emails last
    year, but it didn't help. I'm no techie. I know just enough to be
    dangerous.

    Does anyone have another idea?

    Thanks

    vsesq@concentric.net (vs) wrote in message news:<103eb22b.0409280921.172cd4c7@posting.google.com>...
    > I am getting the following two errors:
    >
    > (when I try to print from Internet Explorer 6)
    > Internet Explorer Script Error
    > Line: 228
    > Char: 1
    > Error: Incompatible version of the RPC stub.
    > Code: 0
    >
    > (when I try to use the find command on an IE 6 screen)
    > Error: 49
    > Incompatible version of the RPC stub.
    >
    > I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 on Windows NT 4.0 Build 1381
    > SP 6 on an old HP Vectra VL Pentium II. (I know, but I'm poor.)
    >
    > I think the problem started after I mistakenly downloaded and installed the
    > Windows 2000 version of the Windows 5.6 Scripting Engine instead of
    > the one for Windows NT. (I can't even remember now what previous
    > problem I had that I thought the scripting engine would fix.)
    >
    > I'm not sure if the scripting engine is to blame, though, because my
    > sister also uses the computer for a lot of online games that put
    > adware/spyware on the computer.
    >
    > I did some searching online and found previous messages about the RPC
    > stub error message, so here's what I tried:
    >
    > I replaced the oleaut32.dll with an older version (a new one had been
    > installed). I've now got version 2.40.4515, but the problem remained.
    >
    > I checked my version of dispex.dll. It's 5.6.0.8825.
    >
    > I also found and installed the NT version of the Windows 5.6 Scripting
    > Engine, scr56en.exe, but it didn't fix things either.
    >
    > I tried running mcrepair.exe. Didn't help.
    >
    > I tried deleting all cookies, Internet files, and objects, and
    > rebooting. Still didn't work.
    >
    > I'm not sure what to try next. I'd realy appreciate any suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

    See replies to your post of 28 Sept-04 (I replied barely 6 hours after you
    first posted).

    Please always reply to your original thread and do not edit the subject in
    your replies.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

    WinXP SP2: What's New for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/ieoeoverview.mspx

    What You Should Know About Spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

    "There is no 'silver bullet' solution."

    vs wrote:
    > I also tried BHODemon, which someone suggested in the emails last
    > year, but it didn't help. I'm no techie. I know just enough to be
    > dangerous.
    >
    > Does anyone have another idea?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > vsesq@concentric.net (vs) wrote in message
    >> I am getting the following two errors:
    >>
    >> (when I try to print from Internet Explorer 6)
    >> Internet Explorer Script Error
    >> Line: 228
    >> Char: 1
    >> Error: Incompatible version of the RPC stub.
    >> Code: 0
    >>
    >> (when I try to use the find command on an IE 6 screen)
    >> Error: 49
    >> Incompatible version of the RPC stub.
    >>
    >> I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 on Windows NT 4.0 Build 1381
    >> SP 6 on an old HP Vectra VL Pentium II. (I know, but I'm poor.)
    >>
    >> I think the problem started after I mistakenly downloaded and installed
    >> the
    >> Windows 2000 version of the Windows 5.6 Scripting Engine instead of
    >> the one for Windows NT. (I can't even remember now what previous
    >> problem I had that I thought the scripting engine would fix.)
    >>
    >> I'm not sure if the scripting engine is to blame, though, because my
    >> sister also uses the computer for a lot of online games that put
    >> adware/spyware on the computer.
    >>
    >> I did some searching online and found previous messages about the RPC
    >> stub error message, so here's what I tried:
    >>
    >> I replaced the oleaut32.dll with an older version (a new one had been
    >> installed). I've now got version 2.40.4515, but the problem remained.
    >>
    >> I checked my version of dispex.dll. It's 5.6.0.8825.
    >>
    >> I also found and installed the NT version of the Windows 5.6 Scripting
    >> Engine, scr56en.exe, but it didn't fix things either.
    >>
    >> I tried running mcrepair.exe. Didn't help.
    >>
    >> I tried deleting all cookies, Internet files, and objects, and
    >> rebooting. Still didn't work.
    >>
    >> I'm not sure what to try next. I'd realy appreciate any suggestions.
    >>
    >> Thanks
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

    Thanks for your suggestions on fixing my problem with printing from

    "PA Bear" <PABear@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<em0F#AbpEHA.3392@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
    > Try, in order:
    >
    > 1. (Re-)Installing 5.6 Scripting Engine from
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp
    >
    > 2a. Start>Run>Regsvr32 vbscript.dll
    >
    > 2b. Start>Run>Regsvr32 jscript.dll
    >
    > 3. Re-register all DLLs listed in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679
    >
    > 4a. IE Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>Browsing>Enable third-party browser
    > extensions (uncheck & reboot).
    >
    > 4b. Find the hijacker that caused 4a to be checked (or if none were checked,
    > check for hijackware anyway):
    >
    > Dealing with Hijackware
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm#tshoot
    > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    >
    > You *must* seek updates for Ad-Aware, Spybot, etc., before each and every
    > use, even "right out of the box". But even then, they can't catch
    > everything. When all else fails, HijackThis
    > (http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe) is the preferred
    > tool to use. It will help you to both identify and remove any
    > hijackware/spyware. **Post your files to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ or
    > the HijackThis Logs forum at http://forum.aumha.org/ for expert analysis,
    > not here.**
    >
    > Also update your virus definitions and then run a full system scan. From
    > now on, do both daily.
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP
    >
    > WinXP SP2: What's New for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/ieoeoverview.mspx
    >
    > What You Should Know About Spyware
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx
    >
    > AumHa Forums