hp4600c problem to install driver on workstation

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

Hi,

When an user try to install an hp 4600c printer on this workstation he
has an error, but to install hp 8150 or any else black and white printer
is ok !!

most of the printer are on domain server windows 2003, and the
workstation of all users is windows xp pro, they have just "user" rights

why they can't install hp color 4600 !, I need to log admin to install
this drivers, any tips to resolve this issue ?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.print,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

If you are getting
"A policy is in effect on your computer which prevents you from connecting
to this print queue"

Upgrade to XP SP2 or disable the policy

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319939
Description of the Point and Print Restrictions Policy Setting in Windows
Server 2003 and Windows XP

a.. By default, this policy setting is not configured. If you do not
configure this policy setting, users cannot download Point and Print drivers
from computers that are not in their Active Directory forest. The result of
not configuring the setting is the same as enabling the policy and setting
it to Users can only Point and Print to machines in their Forest.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

Alan Morris(MSFT) wrote:
> If you are getting
> "A policy is in effect on your computer which prevents you from connecting
> to this print queue"
>
> Upgrade to XP SP2 or disable the policy
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319939
> Description of the Point and Print Restrictions Policy Setting in Windows
> Server 2003 and Windows XP
>

> a.. By default, this policy setting is not configured. If you do not
> configure this policy setting, users cannot download Point and Print drivers
> from computers that are not in their Active Directory forest. The result of
> not configuring the setting is the same as enabling the policy and setting
> it to Users can only Point and Print to machines in their Forest.

thanks for the link

but the strange thing about that, is the policy is not active , and all
my users are on domain, and my server with the printer too, and is
working for hp black & white, the problem happen only when the printer
is color !!!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.print,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

the problem is happening because the driver is not in the XP driver.cab
file. When you install the driver as admin prior to making the connection,
this will work.

The policy is active unless you specifically disable it.

Is the print server in a different domain than the users?

Can you try XP SP2 on one machine and verify that this resolves the issue?

--

Alan Morris(MSFT) wrote:
> the problem is happening because the driver is not in the XP driver.cab
> file. When you install the driver as admin prior to making the connection,
> this will work.
>
> The policy is active unless you specifically disable it.
>
> Is the print server in a different domain than the users?
no, all in the same domain

> Can you try XP SP2 on one machine and verify that this resolves the issue?
we are not yet ready to deploy xp sp2, to resolve this kind of issue

I disabled it, I done the change from the link you give me, I done a
gpupdate /force, reboot, and logon with a user test, and it's working.

Thanks a lot for your help

SB