Sign in with
Your question

ATi or nVidia?....doin a poll on these 2 brands...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 18, 2005 12:36:54 PM

hope u guys could giv some votings on which is.......the dominant graphics giant....thx
December 18, 2005 12:56:34 PM

PERSONALLY I prefer ATI
but you can't say who's better, it's bias to ask this question.
if you ask ppl who use Linux to play games, they willl surely say nVidia's better.
if you ask ppl who love play HL2, they will surely say ATI's better.
if you ask ppl who play Doom3 based games, they will say nVidia's better

who's better? well, for me, they both are equally good, I have both ATI and nVidia's graphic cards at home, but like i said earlier, i prefer ATI.
December 18, 2005 1:19:44 PM

I prefer Nvidia they've had SM3.0 and HDR capability in their cards for longer. They have also had the 7800 series GPUs out longer, and the 7800GT is currently the best card in terms of price and performance.

Sorry ATI you lost this round. There was a time when I liked ATI when the Radeon 9800 Pro was the best card for the money. ATI have taken too long to respond to Nvidia. Nvidia have the fastest card currently the 7800GTX 512MB, you can even get dual GPU core 7800GTs and run them in SLI mode, er I wouldn't two dual core 7800GTs will cost a fortune and just not worth it. ATI's current X1800 series of cards are good but Nvidia perform as well if not better and are cheaper. In the current state of the graphics card market I wouldn't hesistate to recommend Nvidia. Plus Nvidia will have a new cards out in Jan/Feb to further widen the gap between them and ATI.

On this occassion ATI have been too slow to produce cards and not even releasing them when they say they are going to.

So I'm not just some Nvidia fanboy I just change allegiance to the best manufacturer of the moment and that is Nvidia.
Related resources
December 18, 2005 2:47:18 PM

Personally I think there topic is a flamebait, but thats just me.

As for your question, RIGHT NOW I would choose nvidia. Their SLI is better than Crossfire since it's been out for a long time now.
Nvidia also I think has the best price/performance ratio. Their 7800GT is unbeatable when it comes to price and performance. I wouldn't want to spend an extra $150 on a GTX when all I'm going to get is ~5 more fps.
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2005 4:11:26 PM

Where's the poll? XGI rules.
December 18, 2005 4:11:28 PM

Flame bait topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x

ATI and NVIDIA are as good as each other, both have plus and negatives, i only have nvidia because it was in stock thats all, otherwise it was gona be a X1800XT.

Being a member in this forum has taught me some lessons like never choosing sides and taking the middle path.

Learn first and choose from what you have learned. dont choose from being a fanboy you could lose a lot of money for nothing.
December 18, 2005 4:13:37 PM

:lol:  ROFL :)  i agree.
December 18, 2005 4:15:58 PM

Forgot to mention, were the fvck is the poll. If your going to create a flame bait topic, then at least give us the poll.

EDIT: it just ******* out the word fvck or fuck or f-u-c-k
December 18, 2005 5:46:20 PM

erm i did not create the thread.
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2005 10:12:00 PM

troublemaker! :p 
December 18, 2005 10:17:38 PM

Raw speed and lots of cash the 7800GTX,
But if you need speed and quality, ATI X1800XT!
December 18, 2005 11:49:07 PM

I would have to say Nvidia.

EVGA's 7800 GT CO represtin here.
December 19, 2005 12:39:21 AM

Quote:
Raw speed and lots of cash the 7800GTX,
But if you need speed and quality, ATI X1800XT!

Like I said, flamebait.

How come the nvidia doesn't have speed and quality?
I think the GT/GTX's have excellent speed AND quality.
December 19, 2005 12:52:53 AM

Well i say that anybody with average brain power can get a good deal in any major brand ..... but if you are talking about top quality gaming and speed ,reliability bla bla bla... well it's a never ending story...

i am an nvidia owner since the begining but i can say that ati and many other mfg makes good video cards 8O
December 19, 2005 1:06:49 AM

I agree, nVidia makes at least the 2nd best video card. :wink:
December 19, 2005 1:14:00 AM

Ok i must admit i never bought a high end card..... :oops: 

so i will take the second best... 8)

(i should have bought a 9800pro long ago...would still work now.....it would have not been necesary to bought so many card...so many card........ :cry: )
December 19, 2005 6:39:39 AM

OMG!!!! tremendous results u guys......nvm bout the comments
like i said..its juz a poll....no hard feelings for anyone...
thanks anyway for all ur time.. :wink:
December 19, 2005 8:45:03 AM

Quote:
OMG!!!! tremendous results u guys......nvm bout the comments
like i said..its juz a poll....no hard feelings for anyone...
thanks anyway for all ur time.. :wink:

Yea, it's a poll, just without the poll part (voting?).
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 19, 2005 4:44:28 PM

MATROX !!

:twisted:
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 19, 2005 4:46:16 PM

Quote:
Where's the poll? XGI rules.

Truely AwesomeGra !!
December 20, 2005 1:25:39 AM

I would say for ATI kicked nvidia's butt back in the day of the Radeon 9xxx vs. the fx5xxx (remember the nvidia dustbusters?)... but today its a completely different story... on the top high end market, nvidia is king two 512mb 7800 GTX in SLI can kill anything ATI has to offer... ATI x1800 while offering very good performance is not as good as the 7800, and its crossfire is simply not as refined as SLI... meanwhile in mainstream nvidia is also king with the excellent 6600gt which offers VERY good bang/buck against any other $100-125 AGP/PCIE... so yeah... rite now nvidia kicks ATI's butt...
December 20, 2005 1:34:50 AM

Kill, two 512mb 7800GTX against a lil ol pair of X1800XT's....
Beat, yes, but hardly a kill since both will handle any current games at full res with no probs...but your are also paying $400 more for that kill!
I just got an HIS X1800XT delivered for $559
But compare those lil ol x1800xt's to a pair of big ol 256mb 7800GTX's and you see about the same performance, with an edge to each depending on where you look.

but ATI has monthly driver/feature updates for free, verses selling you DVD players support.
Remember Cat 5.13's off CPU Avivo encoding 5x faster than using an FX53, does nVidia offer that?
a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2005 3:38:46 PM

Quote:
Truely AwesomeGra !!

I'm learning. ;) 
December 20, 2005 4:18:46 PM

Right now nVidia is the king. ATI was before this current series. I own an X800XT and love it. Right now go with nVidia though.
December 20, 2005 4:43:55 PM

Yep, flamebait.

Both manufacturers have products that are the best in certain price segments.
December 20, 2005 5:15:11 PM

bah humbug, stop whinning about flamebait. I think it's a great topic and I liked reading the opinions. Fight all you kids want, it's humerous.

I'm in the market for a new graphics card myself and am leaning towards the 7800GT. Although I'm stuck in the "if I wait a little longer the next generation card will be out and it's gonna be faster" syndrome...thus I never purchase. But I might pick up a previous generation card once the new round comes out and the price drops. That lets me upgrade more often for less money.

But I've always liked nVidia. They have a better web site, boxes look cooler (lime green), their driver names are cooler and so are the demos. God, you guys are gonna rip me a new one for those comments.
December 20, 2005 5:20:49 PM

nah, not flamebait... just some think nVidia has better suited models for their needs and budget, and others know ATI has better products and performance for their needs and budgets.
Both are good and will get better, and the ones you have will become obsolete in a few years, some sooner, others much sooner.
I for one like monthly driver updates...and additional features and performance with existing cards along the way...
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 20, 2005 7:26:35 PM

Quote:
bah humbug, stop whinning about flamebait. I think it's a great topic and I liked reading the opinions. Fight all you kids want, it's humerous.

You would think it's a great topic, you don't know better. It's boring and tired, just like it's been for the last 2-3 years. Cut and past any of the last few 'A vs B' threads in THGC and you can find the same statements, whether you replace A and B with ATi & nVidia , AMD & Intel , HL2 vs D3, Single vs Dual, Console vs PC, PC vs Mac... ok maybe that's an easier win now.

Quote:
But I've always liked nVidia. They have a better web site, boxes look cooler (lime green)

Pfft better boxes, hah!
BTW , NOTHING BEATS THE EVIL GOALIE ! :twisted: :p  :twisted:

As for the rest, who cares, you're talking about the garnish/fluff not the product.

It's like arguing which has a better key fob between two cars. :roll:
December 20, 2005 7:35:09 PM

Quote:
you're talking about the garnish/fluff not the product.

What, your not gonna eat your parsley?
**grabs parsley off GGA plate** :wink:
December 20, 2005 8:29:05 PM

to be honest old Dual Voodoo 2s are much better than any modern technology :lol:  3dfx should still be around today, they were an amazing company and their products gave me many happy an hour of gaming!
Wonder what a modern day 3dfx product would of been like.....? *gets all misty eyed and nostalgic*
December 20, 2005 8:34:13 PM

Quote:
to be honest old Dual Voodoo 2s are much better than any modern technology :lol:  3dfx should still be around today, they were an amazing company and their products gave me many happy an hour of gaming!
Wonder what a modern day 3dfx product would of been like.....? *gets all misty eyed and nostalgic*

I totally agree.
December 20, 2005 8:49:08 PM

Quote:
bah humbug, stop whinning about flamebait.

Stop whining about flamebait whiners!
December 20, 2005 8:51:12 PM

and stop whining about flamebait whiners whining about flamebait whiners.
December 20, 2005 8:54:07 PM

i replied to you specifcally cause i wanted to get your input, hope ya dont mind
Being the 2 people using these cards (building 1 PC for each) will both be doing phot/video editing..and theyll be hooked up to 37' LCD monitor/TVs i had orginally been considering this evga or more likelythis 128 model But i have also even reading up on Avivo since i heard of it. Im wondering if something with Avivo would work better for them. Especially since i found this Sapphire (a brand which i know nothing about) Yeah the mem is hugely impressive at 512mb (especially at this price, which seems-off) im also curious as to how the Nvidia compares with like video image quality, less concern about gaming. Even if Avivo is right for them, this card looks too good to be true..?
Thanks yet again,
December 20, 2005 9:21:21 PM

Quote:
I would say for ATI kicked nvidia's butt back in the day of the Radeon 9xxx vs. the fx5xxx (remember the nvidia dustbusters?)... but today its a completely different story... on the top high end market, nvidia is king two 512mb 7800 GTX in SLI can kill anything ATI has to offer... ATI x1800 while offering very good performance is not as good as the 7800, and its crossfire is simply not as refined as SLI... meanwhile in mainstream nvidia is also king with the excellent 6600gt which offers VERY good bang/buck against any other $100-125 AGP/PCIE... so yeah... rite now nvidia kicks ATI's butt...

The X1600XT is an excellent card for a budget, just a little more
December 20, 2005 9:40:22 PM

:p  ATI cards are a pile of crap. :p 
:p  They have crap drivers and crap game support :p 

hahahaha

I have no proof of this and i cannot back up what was siad above / Sorry nvidia fanboys. :p 

yes one more worthless post.
December 20, 2005 10:11:46 PM

8O Oh NO!!! :cry:  Crap before I even install my HiS X1800XT! :cry:  Maybe I should return it or eBay it, and get a XGI!
December 21, 2005 12:32:38 PM

XGI ownnnsss man, return ur worthless 7800 and x1800 and get yourself a v8 XGI best games support in the world and the fastest card i have ever seen. HONEST. :lol: 

Wow u have a X1800XT, you installed it yet? if so how well does it handle everything? if you have one excelent choice Richpls.
December 21, 2005 1:23:39 PM

Thats it, where is my S3 Virge ISA Card??? 8)
December 21, 2005 1:34:39 PM

You have to have this conversation every 6 months cuz things change. Yes, it's been discussed one-hundred times before but I want to hear it again!

NVIDIA RULZ.... ;) 
December 21, 2005 1:45:45 PM

Ive rocked ati my past 3 cards...but since their warranty change i think im gonna jump ship. I have rmad 2 out of 3 cards ive owned, so getting stuck with a $500-$600 paperweight really discourages me from sticking with ati. 1 year warranty....yeah right ....ill get an evga...and overclock it till it bleeds, swap coolers, and still have a warranty 5 years from now.
December 21, 2005 2:40:48 PM

ATI RULES! :twisted:

HaHA! Because I have use the little demon man to indicate his endorsement, I have now proven that it is not NVIDIA, but ATI who rules!

And again: :twisted:
December 21, 2005 3:05:29 PM

Intel 865G graphics RULES! Bow before the might integrated graphics champ! :twisted:
December 21, 2005 3:45:30 PM

My Creative Voo Doo blaster banshee 16 meg beats them all!!!! :lol:  8O :p 
Quote:
De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da, that's all I want to say to you ....
December 21, 2005 3:58:42 PM

Quote:
My Creative Voo Doo blaster banshee 16 meg beats them all!!!! :lol:  8O :p  De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da, that's all I want to say to you ....

well i suppose beta drivers finally got something good llol

in FACTS : ati was best while 9800 vs FX5950...

and early in te next release x800 vs 6800gt ( BEFORE SLI )

after that, nvidia got it ! 7800gtx is good but what i search is

performance*quality /price

i got a 9600xt up to now, and i have to change soon. if i want my system to work stable, i'll get ati's product which needs less power, if i have a psu change in mind, i'll get a dual geforce 6800gt when the prices will drop below 600 $. if i want a budget upgrade, i'll get a gto2 if i want a better budget upgrade, i'll get 2x6800GS
December 21, 2005 6:14:31 PM

Lemmie reference price/performance for PCI-express:

~ $100: X1300 PRO
$100 - $150: 6600 GT
$150 - $200: X800 GT
$200 - $250: 6800 GS
$250 - $300: 7800 GT
$300+: 7800 GTX

Looks like Ati has 2 and Nvidia has 4, but Nvidia is ruling the high performance roost for the price. So I guess at this very second they can be considered to be "winning".

But that can change quick.

Not positive about some of my numbers tho. Can 6800GS's be found for less than $200?

What's the street price of X1600 PROs now?
December 21, 2005 7:45:34 PM

Well i always get Nvidia now i remember last time i had to get an ATI card as a loaner as my nvidia card was getting fixed and I was never able to completely remove the drivers had to reinstall wndows. just a bad experience sense this was an ATI expert graphics card so i am sure the drivers for ATI gotten better now.
December 21, 2005 8:50:33 PM

You're basing your brand preference on an experience you had SEVEN HARDWARE GENERATIONS ago?

The Ati Xpert was a Rage2 GPU if memory serves... after that there was the Rage 128 series, Radeon series, Radeon 8x00 series, Radeon 9x00 series, Radeon X800 series, and now the Radeon X1800 series...

It might be time to give them another shot, fella.
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2005 10:41:55 PM

Cleeve, A few weeks ago I would have made the same conclusion on the 6600GT, but in the USA, we can buy 12-pipe X800 PCI-e cards for the same price as 6600GT's. So NV doesn't win $100-150 PCI-e here.

I just got this one last weak.
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2005 11:58:55 PM

i still got two old voodoo2's around somewhere, they manage to get around 1000 3DMark2001 marks at 800x600 (or was it 640x480?) - they would have done great.

Personally, i prefer nvidia - ATi s#!t'd me off when i couldnt get drivers for a Mach II (had to pay for em or some bull crap) so nvidia, and besides - i can use the one set of drivers with all my nvidia cards, but i do know ATi is always in the same performance area and arnt any better/worse then nvidia.

WE NEED A POLL OF NOT WHATS THE BETTER BRAND BUT HOW MANY OF PEOPLE OWN WHAT CARDS.
!