XP runs disk check every boot

XP runs a disk check at every boot. This has just started happening after uninstalling some trial software, before this it was ok. Unfortunately I don't have a restore point, any advice on how to fix this is appreciated
3 answers Last reply
More about runs disk check boot

    Go to Start > Run and type: CMD , and hit enter. Then type in:
    chkntfs /x c: , and hit enter. Reboot your computer.

    [This disables CHKDSK from running on drive C:]

    CHKNTFS.EXE: What You Can Use It For
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=160963

    Chkdsk in Read-Only Mode Does Not Detect Corruption on NTFS Volume
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q283340

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "rick" wrote:

    XP runs a disk check at every boot. This has just started happening after uninstalling some trial software,
    before this it was ok. Unfortunately I don't have a restore point, any advice on how to fix this is
    appreciated

    thanks for responding, I didn't find anything in the KB article that helped so I ran the "chkntfs /x c: " command which worked. XP no longer runs the disk check at every boot and I can still run it manually. But what will happen in the event of a crash, usually XP runs disk check following a crash, will this function still work in my current config ..... thanks for the help.

    "rick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >XP runs a disk check at every boot. This has just started happening after uninstalling some trial software, before this it was ok. Unfortunately I don't have a restore point, any advice on how to fix this is appreciated

    See "Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316506).

    --
    (tm)

Boot Microsoft Windows XP