XP runs disk check every boot

August 14, 2004 12:40:55 PM

XP runs a disk check at every boot. This has just started happening after uninstalling some trial software, before this it was ok. Unfortunately I don't have a restore point, any advice on how to fix this is appreciated

More about : runs disk check boot

Anonymous
August 14, 2004 3:03:03 PM

Go to Start > Run and type: CMD , and hit enter. Then type in:
chkntfs /x c: , and hit enter. Reboot your computer.

[This disables CHKDSK from running on drive C:]

CHKNTFS.EXE: What You Can Use It For
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=160963

Chkdsk in Read-Only Mode Does Not Detect Corruption on NTFS Volume
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q283340

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"rick" wrote:

XP runs a disk check at every boot. This has just started happening after uninstalling some trial software,
before this it was ok. Unfortunately I don't have a restore point, any advice on how to fix this is
appreciated
August 14, 2004 3:30:20 PM

thanks for responding, I didn't find anything in the KB article that helped so I ran the "chkntfs /x c: " command which worked. XP no longer runs the disk check at every boot and I can still run it manually. But what will happen in the event of a crash, usually XP runs disk check following a crash, will this function still work in my current config ..... thanks for the help.

Anonymous
August 14, 2004 10:01:08 PM

"rick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>XP runs a disk check at every boot. This has just started happening after uninstalling some trial software, before this it was ok. Unfortunately I don't have a restore point, any advice on how to fix this is appreciated

See "Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316506).

--
(tm)