Print from NT4 server to 2003 server?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

prints through a share on a 2003 Server box.

I have several printers defined on an NT4 Server box. These are
currently working through HP JetDirect ports and are shared out to my
user community.

I'm migrating to a dedicated print server box which is running 2003
Server. The printers have all been setup and I can print test pages
just fine. A client can install a new printer and point it to this
server and all is well. But, when I point my old printer definitions
on the NT4 server box to the new 2003 server box, I can print a test
page from the NT4 machine ok but I can't print from a client to the
NT4 server. The NT4 server pops up this error on its local console:

Printers Folder
(X) Error writing to \\daisy\pubs-ps for Document Remote Downlevel
Document: Access is denied. Do you wish to retry or cancel the job?
[Retry] [Cancel]

There are no error messages on the 2003 server box at all. It's as if
the print job isn't even leaving the NT4 server box.

I'm at a loss to make this work. Any suggestions?

Tia,
Ken Long
Albuquerque, NM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

This article explains what's going on:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;121853

To make redirection work, you need to enable anonymous access on the printer
shares (described in the article) and also add "anonymous logon" with print
permission to the security descriptor for every queue.

A less secure but faster method is to do the following:
launch secpol.msc (from cmd)
go to "local policies/security options/"
network acccess: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users

Enable the policy. That way you don't need to change share and print queue
permissions.

--
Felix Maxa
Windows Printing Team