Limited or No Connectivity to 802.11b Access Point

I have two wireless access points at home. A Belkin 802.11g router set up as
an access point inside my domain with WPA-PSK. And I have a Netgear 802.11b
router outside my domain with WEP. This is for guest access to the Internet,
bypassing my domain.

The Windows Available Wireless Networks dialog displays both networks at
full strength. I can connect to the domain access point with WPA-PSK. I can
also connect to the b/WEP network but with the following message "Limited or
no connectivity." I've entered the WEP key. I'm using Windows XP SP2 on the
laptop to configure both nets.

The laptop has a Belkin wireless card. Prior to getting the "g" network, I
used a different card in the laptop. With the old card, the "b" network
worked fine. Now, I want to access both nets with the Belkin card.

What don't I understand?

Jim G

"Jim G" <Jim G@somewhere.net> wrote in message news:%23OcJ8nzrFHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> What don't I understand?

The "limited connectivity" message, in plain English, means that
the connection is configured for DHCP but can't get IP address.
Try to find why.

--PA

Fixed. Turns out I had set the Key to "2" on the access point. I had to make
the same setting on the laptop. Now it connects and allows throughput. I did
a little googling and didn't find this mentioned.

Jim G.

"Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
> "Jim G" <Jim G@somewhere.net> wrote in message
>> What don't I understand?
>
> The "limited connectivity" message, in plain English, means that
> the connection is configured for DHCP but can't get IP address.
> Try to find why.
>
> --PA

TRENDING THREADS