when nokia 6230? (or other Edge/bluetooth combo)

Last response: in Network Providers
August 11, 2004 8:31:48 PM

So when is the Nokia 6230 or some phone that had EDGE and bluetooth
going to be available....

thnx
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 6:02:56 AM

Willa Jabir wrote:
> So when is the Nokia 6230 or some phone that had EDGE and bluetooth
> going to be available....
>
> thnx

Actually there are two versions of this phone. The Nokia 6230 only has
900/1800/1900 and will not work in Cingular. The Nokia 6230b has
850/1800/1900. The 6230 has already been released, but the 6230b has not
or is in the process of being released. I've been using a Prototype of
the 6230b and I can tell you that reason for the delay is there were too
many bugs in the original version. On a positive note, one of our
contact at Cingular says that 6230b will start being sold within the
next month or two. However, I wouldn't buy one just yet, even with the
latest firmware, there are tons of bugs. If I remember right the price
for a new Nokia 6230b will be about $280, but I can't be sure on that.
If you have any other questions about this phone just let me know. Like
I said I've been running a prototype and know the phone inside out.

Posted Over Cingular's GPRS Network using a Nokia 3620
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 6:02:57 AM

Thnx...maybe I should go for the T616 or T637?
They did away with the v600.....
Any other recommendations.....these phone are not Edge but have
bluetooth....

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 02:02:56 GMT, "R.M" <usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com>
wrote:

>Willa Jabir wrote:
>> So when is the Nokia 6230 or some phone that had EDGE and bluetooth
>> going to be available....
>>
>> thnx
>
>Actually there are two versions of this phone. The Nokia 6230 only has
>900/1800/1900 and will not work in Cingular. The Nokia 6230b has
>850/1800/1900. The 6230 has already been released, but the 6230b has not
>or is in the process of being released. I've been using a Prototype of
>the 6230b and I can tell you that reason for the delay is there were too
>many bugs in the original version. On a positive note, one of our
>contact at Cingular says that 6230b will start being sold within the
>next month or two. However, I wouldn't buy one just yet, even with the
>latest firmware, there are tons of bugs. If I remember right the price
>for a new Nokia 6230b will be about $280, but I can't be sure on that.
>If you have any other questions about this phone just let me know. Like
>I said I've been running a prototype and know the phone inside out.
>
>Posted Over Cingular's GPRS Network using a Nokia 3620
August 12, 2004 6:15:45 AM

In <411ACFCB.1040205@usenetjunk.com> on Thu, 12 Aug 2004 02:02:56 GMT, "R.M"
<usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com> wrote:

>Willa Jabir wrote:

>> So when is the Nokia 6230 or some phone that had EDGE and bluetooth
>> going to be available....

>Actually there are two versions of this phone. The Nokia 6230 only has
>900/1800/1900 and will not work in Cingular. ...

Depends on the area -- here in California, Cingular is only 1900, so it would
work fine.

August 12, 2004 5:35:20 PM

John Navas wrote:

>>Actually there are two versions of this phone. The Nokia 6230 only has
>>900/1800/1900 and will not work in Cingular. ...
>

> Depends on the area -- here in California, Cingular is only 1900, so it would
> work fine.

That will be changing before too long. Cingular is selling it 1900
California network to T-mobile and replacing it with 850. From what I
understand people with 1900 only phones will be allowed to roam on
At&t's network in that area so they don't get locked out. Within two
years Cingular will require all phone sold to be dual band. Cingular
intends to go 850 only, but for now still have a few old 1900 systems in
place and will continue to have them for some time . Looking in he
future, I have no ideas what is going to happen with Cingular acquires
At&t's 1900 and 850 network. There is no dought that they will sell some
of the network, but it makes one wonder if they will support both 850
and 1900 networks. Just something to think about.

See
http://sev.prnewswire.com/telecommunications/20040524/C...
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 5:56:18 PM

Willa Jabir wrote:
> Thnx...maybe I should go for the T616 or T637?
> They did away with the v600.....
> Any other recommendations.....these phone are not Edge but have
> bluetooth....

Well I recommend staying with Nokia, but you might say I'm bias, not
mention that I would get fired if I recommend something else. As for as
GPRS and EGDE, I use both. However, the Nokia 6230b is the only phone I
have had a chance to use EDGE. Officially Cinuglar says this Area
(Dallas/Fort Worth) doesn't have Edge yet, but using the Nokia 6230b
I've seen speed up to 200k. With that said, the connection I get usually
isn't 100% stable. It drops packets from time to time. At this point I
not sure if its a bug in the firmware or due to the fact that EDGE is
still being implemented. I do use the Nokia 3620 over GPRS and it is
rock solid. Both phones support Bluetooth and that makes it real easy to
connect using GPRS/EDGE. BTW Supposably if EDGE is not available, a
phone with EDGE will default back to GPRS. However there is not way to
manually specify this in the phone, so if your having problems with EDGE
the only way to get back to GPRS is to use a GPRS only phone.

To see Cingular's current GPRS/EDGE map visit
http://www.cingular.com/beyond_voice/wi_availability
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 8:03:34 PM

In <411B721F.5040106@usenetjunk.com> on Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:35:20 GMT, "R.M"
<usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com> wrote:

>John Navas wrote:
>>
>>>Actually there are two versions of this phone. The Nokia 6230 only has
>>>900/1800/1900 and will not work in Cingular. ...
>>
>> Depends on the area -- here in California, Cingular is only 1900, so it would
>> work fine.
>
>That will be changing before too long. Cingular is selling it 1900
>California network to T-mobile and replacing it with 850.

To be more precise, Cingular is acquiring 850 MHz spectrum as part of the
ATTWS deal, and selling 1900 spectrum to T-Mobile contingent on the closing of
the ATTWS acquisition.

>From what I
>understand people with 1900 only phones will be allowed to roam on
>At&t's network in that area so they don't get locked out.

Cingular subscribers will actually be allowed to roam on T-Mobile, part of the
deal to sell the 1900 spectrum -- thus far at least they are prohibited from
roaming on ATTWS (part of the reason I recently switching from Cingular to
ATTWS, since ATTWS is now allowed to roam freely on Cingular, giving it better
coverage in this area).

>Within two
>years Cingular will require all phone sold to be dual band.

Or tri- or quad-band, or even single-band 850, just not single band 1900.

>Cingular
>intends to go 850 only, but for now still have a few old 1900 systems in
>place and will continue to have them for some time. Looking in he
>future, I have no ideas what is going to happen with Cingular acquires
>At&t's 1900 and 850 network. There is no dought that they will sell some
>of the network, but it makes one wonder if they will support both 850
>and 1900 networks. Just something to think about.

I expect Cingular to get rid of most or all of its own and acquired 1900
spectrum, and go with pure 850 wherever possible.

August 12, 2004 8:22:09 PM

In <fv3lh0lfga6dug32c1vqn2v21p2l742jh3@4ax.com> on Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:31:48
-0500, Willa Jabir <SpamNotAllow@spam.net> wrote:

>So when is the Nokia 6230 or some phone that had EDGE and bluetooth
>going to be available....

The new Sony Ericsson S710a, with several advanced features, including EDGE
and Bluetooth, is expected to become available in Q4. The Z500, expected to
become available this quarter, will also include EDGE, but omits Bluetooth, a
curious and unfortunate omission.

The new Motorola A780 and V551, both with EDGE and Bluetooth, are also
expected in Q4.

August 15, 2004 4:04:27 PM

John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote
> I expect Cingular to get rid of most or all of its own and acquired 1900
> spectrum, and go with pure 850 wherever possible.

And where it has no 850MHz spectrum, like here in the Carolinas, it
will remain 1900.

tg.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 10:47:41 AM

In <60c41fe3.0408151104.fb29fe9@posting.google.com> on 15 Aug 2004 12:04:27
-0700, glaabtom@netscape.net (tom glaab) wrote:

>John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote

>> I expect Cingular to get rid of most or all of its own and acquired 1900
>> spectrum, and go with pure 850 wherever possible.
>
>And where it has no 850MHz spectrum, like here in the Carolinas, it
>will remain 1900.

Perhaps, but that remains to be seen.