HORRIBLE artifacts on FX5700LE

Phayder

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I got my GeForce FX5700 LE 256mb about a year ago with a new system. It was a huge improvement over my old one, and ran games (comparably) great.

However, about six months after I got it, I started to get some artifacts in a few games. It was nothing serious, and a simple restart would solve the problem for a month or so.

But now it's getting rediculous. My screen seems to be be covered with white specs and black shapes and all sorts of ugliness. I've seen my brother overclock his videocard, and what artifacts result from that, but this is easily ten times as bad. Restarts no longer solve the problem, and in ten minutes it's just as bad as it was before I restarted.

The odd thing is that it only happens in some games. UT2004 and CS:S are disgusting to the point of being unplayable, while Age of Empires 3 and Max Payne 2 seem to be fine.

I understand that it's a pretty crappy video card, and that some anomalies can be expected, but this is beyond anything that I expected. Does anyone know whats wrong, or what I should do?

And please, don't make upgrade comments, money isn't exactly at a premium in my family at the moment.

nanoprobs

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Is the card still under warranty?? Maybe the memory chip on your video card is a bit screwed up. Does your video card came with a fan on a heatsink? have you tried cleaning the dust that's on the heatsink or fan? just use a brush or something. You can try taking the video card out and installing it on another system and test, if u got the same problem then my guess is the card is stuffed up.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Take the card and clean it off then reinstall it. Make sure you have the latest drivers installed too. If that doesn't work, try it on another machine if possible. The other thing you could check to is the bios settings for graphics. Make sure they are set correctly. I had a machine that came across my bench with a similar graphics problem and turns out, the AGP port settings in the bios were all screwed up.
De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da, that's all I want to say to you .... :lol:

MTLink

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
I also get the same thing. I own an Inno3D FX5700LE AGP8x 128MB, and this is getting annoying. I run games like Warcraft 3, Battlefield Vietnam, Battlefield 2, CS:S, etc. fine. But on some otehr games like Serious Sam 2, I just get weird blobs or black and white and (usually) pink all over my screen.

I also get a whoel bunch of slowdown in FMVs in games. For example, the intro movie for Need for Speed Most Wanted will play at like 5 FPS for 2 seconds, and then it will stop, and I'll be staring at a whole bunch of blur for about 15 seconds, then it will start up again.

I checked my nVidia control panel, and oddly enough, it says my card is PCI, even though I know for sure it's not. I tried reinstalling the drivers with no luck.

areseebee54

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Phayder; I had some artifacts that sound like what you have with my ATI card. It turned out that the GPU wasn't working. I hope that's not your problem. First thing is to make sure your video and chipset drivers are up to date. Also, make sure Windows is up to date.

MTlink; make sure your chipset drivers are up to date. I had a problem with my AGP bus speed being at 0 (in other words the AGP bus was disabled), and it was because my chipset drivers weren't current.

toolfan524

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Im getting the same crap in CS source and in FEAR, my equipment is brand freakin new. WTF! Should i have bought a better PSU?

TRENDING THREADS