XFX Geforce 6800GS XXX edition --> PSU requirements

Marklar_PoON

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Hi,
I'm looking at purchasing an XFX Geforce 6800GS XXX edition 256mb SLI ready graphics card. I'm going to run it ona non-SLi board but am getting confused with power supply requirements. I currently have an OKIA 600W psu (btw does anyone know if these are a good psu?). I have seen that some power supplies have pci-express connections. Can someone please let me know what these are for exactly and would I need to upgrade my PSU to one that has one of these such as a Coolermaster 450W true power?

Thanks

bxmedic

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
With a 600W PSU you have enough power to push that card. If you do not have a PCIexpress power connector, adapters can be purchased or sometimes they come with the card. As far as OKIA brand.... I have no personal experience with that brand however I did a quick search and see that they are very inexpensive. That being said, it is usually a rule of thumb that you get what you pay for when it comes to PSUs. A good idiots test (no offense intended) is to hold it in your hand if it seems light to hold then it is most likely not of great quality. The heavier it is, the better quality. I'm sure that as I write this some unscrupulous PSU mfg is trying to line his product with lead so as to fool us all. lol :lol: . Seriously though. A cheapo PSU can fry your computer when it goes bad. I would say if you're not in the position to get one now;... if you have any lockups or are told by your computer of insufficient power, get a new one immediately.
PSU brands I like in order of quality: (just my opinion :wink: )
>PCPOWER&COOLING
>Enermax
>OCZ
>Fortron Source (FSP)
>Silverstone
>Antec
>Thermaltake

Dim XPS Gen 4
P4 650 3.4G
3072mb PC2 4200 (533mhz)
eVGA 7800GT 256mb
160G SATA (Windows XP SP2)
SB Audigy2 ZS
CDRWDVD Combo Drive
19" ACER Flat pannel

Marklar_PoON

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
thx for the reply bxmedic. I get frequent failures during games (such as BF2) with my Gecube radeon 9600XT so I was thinking of upgrading because I also thought it might be the psu and I dont really want to risk damaging a new AU$400 card. Do you think that a 450W would be easily enough because it would cost another AU$50 about to get a 550. I am thinking it is not really worth getting a $550 because I will only hav it 2 yrs as I expect significant changes before my next upgrade with sli and btx etc. What are your thoughts? I figured Coolermaster was a good brand I bought a case from them and it is "sexy" and extremely well made, and seem to be targeting overclockers more so with some really nice looking gear.

bxmedic

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
Sounds like you're already having PSU problems. The crashes may just be BF2 not playing nice w/ your card but most likely the PSU. A 450 would suit you fine. Just check reviews on the one you choose. If you get a bad one you'll be back where you started. A quick Google of the Cooler Master 450W turned up some very good reviews. I also think you are right not to spend tons of $$$ on something that will be obsolete when you go to build a new system. That is unless you go for PcPower&cooling's 1KW PSU 8O ; but that thing is just silly. Good luck and see you on the Battlefield. :twisted:

Smell
Dim XPS Gen 4
P4 650 3.4G
3072mb PC2 4200 (533mhz)
eVGA 7800GT 256mb
160G SATA (Windows XP SP2)
SB Audigy2 ZS
CDRWDVD Combo Drive
19" ACER Flat pannel

Latest posts