MY SYSTEM-ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE
2 G CORSAIR
RAPTOR X2
SEAGATE 200G IDE (GIFT)
X-FI PLAT.
EVGA 7800 GT
AMD +3800 DUAL CORE9
THE MOBO SUPPORTS SILICON IMAGE RAID CONTROLLER
AND NVIDA CONTROLLER WHICH SHOULD I USE AND HOW?
i'M A HARDWARE GUY(U.S.NAVY TRAINED TECH) ANY HELP
WOULD BE GREAT
INTERSLAYERX2

mpjesse

Splendid
IMO, that Silicon Image controller sucks. I personally have this board and use the NVRAID (nVidia) controller. The nvidia controller hooks right up w/ the hypertransport. The Silicon Image uses the PCI-e bus. Hypertransport is much faster.

Anywho...

When you get all ur stuff, u gotta 1st make a RAID driver disk using the mobo CD. (read the manual on how to do it- it's in there). Then you'll need to build a RAID table w/ the NVRAID utility during POST. I think you hit F10... anyways you'll see it. The manual has instructions on how to make a RAID 1 array... it's super simple.

Now... I'm assuming you want to setup Windows on this RAID 1 array, if you do then read below. If you don't, you still need to read this.

After you've got your RAID table setup and it's online/healthy you can install Windows. Make sure you hit "F6" to install/load the RAID/SATA drivers. Eventually Windows setup will ask you to insert the driver disk you made earlier. Do that and hit "enter" or whatever. Then 2 seperate nVidia labeled drivers will come up, you'll need to select BOTH or Windows setup won't see the RAID array. So how to do you select both? It's a little tricky. When you get to the part where u have to load the driver, go ahead and just select the first one. Windows will load the driver from the diskette. Then it'll ask if you need to load another driver or something like that, do it all over again but this time select the 2nd driver. Windows will load it and you can continue on setup. Eventually you'll get to the partition/format part of setup and Windows will see your shiny new Raptor RAID array. If Windows doesn't see the RAID array, it's because you either farked up the RAID table or you didn't load the drivers correctly.

Just use some common sense and a little experimentation. You'll figure it out. :)

One question though: why are you using RAID 1 w/ a 2x Raptor setup? I mean there's nothing wrong w/ it, but most ppl get 2x raptors for RAID 0. Just curious.

-mpjesse

czarousa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2003
I am surprised just as surprised. Why do you want to have 2 raptors ( the fastest hdd's ) for just raid 01?
I think you should have raid 0 for a ultra fast performance and responsive system
But thats just me.....
Any way the method given by mpjesse is just about as good as it gets..

mpjesse

Splendid
LOL @ the caps thing.

Yeah, I'm not sure if he means RAID 0+1 or RAID 1. Since he said his new rig will have 2x Raptors I'm assuming he means RAID 1.

But yeah, 0+1 requires 4 drives.

-mpjesse