How do I get my second computer hooked up to the internet?

jackspratjr

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
I have a windows 7 - e-machines ET1831 - 64bit - IE 8 and a

windows XP home edition - dell

My situation is I love the windows 7, for the internal workings, word pad, web mail. I like every thing about the way it works. The problem is I also have a redirect virus that prohibits me from useing visiting web pages. I get "redirected" every time.

What I want to do is use the windows7 for storing data, e-mail(there is no problem with the e-mail).

And use the dell - windows XP for surfing.

Can this be done with out the use of a router? (I have had bad luck with routers.

I need step by step instructions please>

I would get rid of the program that stops you visiting web sites first. Try downloading the free version of Malwarebytes anti-virus program and run it, also disable unneeded add-ons for your web browser and check your host file for redirections.
It is a simple matter to share an internet connection between two computers all you need is a special network cable called a crossover cable plugged in to the network card on both computers (if you haven’t a free network connection you may need to fit a network card) run the network wizard on both computers and enable internet sharing on the computer with the internet connection in the advanced properties for your connection if not already enabled.

jackspratjr

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011

Thanks for the reply.
But I am not that good at puter stuff. Is it possible that you could give me a step by step with a diagram as to how to physically make the connection? Do I just go to best buy and ask for a "crossover cable"? Then connect from one pc to the other pc? Or do I connect from the pc to the internet modum? It is about 16 feet from my modum to the desk top I am using now. I will place the 2nd pc on the same desk as the 1st pc. I currently have a router for use with a Roku device, there is an open slot left on the router. Could I connect to the open slot on the router with one end of an usb cable and the other end to the second pc?

I also am going to install "malwarebytes anti virus"

If I am not stateing my case coherently, please tell me what info you need.

Again, thanks for the reply

G

Forget the crossover cable. Just get a router to share your internet connection and fix the Windows 7 computer. Try tdsskiller to remove the redirects.

galeener

Distinguished
I would suggest a cheap router also. Since your going to be plgging it all in you would not need wireless unelss you wanted.
You can get a pretty cheap deal on a b/g router.
I am not listing these as per how I like them or anything just a s a price reference.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156001

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704050
You can find some of these on sale also. They have a couple on sale now at newegg.
You also may be able to find them a little cheaper or buy a used on from ebay maybe.
If you have a slot open on the router you have now tust try using it.

jackspratjr

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Hey Guys.

Thanks for ll the replies.. I'll try both ways. I did get rid of that redirect virus
Finally got a tier two tech guy and he ran some program to fix. Don't know what it was but it worked. Had to keep myhands off the pc for two hours. Made my wife happy though.

Again, thanks Guys

By the way I have heard that before, "if a man...........in the forrest"?

Where is it from and what is the entire quote, please.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I see nothing wrong with a cross over cable as I don't care much for routers either. Just google cross over cable. They really are to easy to make. I made a temp. by simply splicing and taping. Of course a good one is gonna require you to have crimpers. So it might just be worthing buying a router if you don't have a pair handy.

jackspratjr

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
I told you yesterday that Microsoft had gotten rid of the "redirect virus" well, it is still with me. I don't understand it, as it does not seem to be harmful, just an annoyance. Sometimes it will redirect me to a similar site, just not the one I was searchig for. Another thing............sometimes it says "google redirect".
For example I went to you tube and clicked on a page for music. Was redirected to a site for weight loss! I just don't under stand.

I agree, ICS is a royal PITA as I just spent the last 2 days reconfiguring mine between two win7 machines. It's a pity win7 automatically kills the home group feature when ICS is enabled. As a note to the OP, some people have suggested using a router - which I prefer personally since it's relatively inexpensive and allows more pc's or laptops to be added in the future where a crossover cable only connects 2 machines. If using a router I would personally recommend a Linksys/Cisco branded router over lesser expensive brands like Netgear. Not because I'm trying to favor brand names, but in my own experience I've found Netgear products to be quite unstable and the source for countless headaches, ie dropped connections, not functioning properly etc.

jackspratjr

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Guys,,
my problem is solved on the 'redirect'issue I down loaded "AVAST" it really works, got rid of re-direct and just yesterday got rid of "system tools" virus,,
Man I swear by it now. No need for 2nd computer..

jackspratjr

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Forget the crossover cable. Just get a router to share your internet connection and fix the Windows 7 computer. Try tdsskiller to remove the redirects.

Grumpy,
I don't need 2nd p.c. now....installed AVAST and cleared up all prob's

Have 1 more tho--in internet explorer, I cannot get rid of "protected mode off"
double clicked on it like it said, went to security, enabled all sites, restarted and then same thing ,, can't get rid of it.

TRENDING THREADS