net use command I receive an error 66

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

I am trying to use the following command from an XP Professional workstation
connecting to an NT 4.0 server to map a print drive. "net use lpt1:
\\servername\printqueuename". The command has worked before on many
occasions, but now, when I type in the command it is returning an error 66.

I tried to delete the lpt port by using the following command "net use lpt1:
delete" and I still get the error 66 returned. What is this error code. Is
the code a product of the Windows XP workstation or the Windows NT 4.0 server?
4 answers Last reply
More about command receive error
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

    Dear Mr. Paul Lockhart,

    > \\servername\printqueuename". The command has worked before on many
    > occasions, but now, when I type in the command it is returning an error
    66.

    Net Helpmsg 66 => Wrong network resource

    Probably you have mispelled servername or printqueuename

    Try to issue a NET VIEW to find out the machine's name first, then
    NET VIEW \\machinename will list all the shared resources there.

    Kind regards,
    Davide Guolo
    Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all
  2. Hi - i have an even worse problem with the "NET" command. I am also trying to print from within the MSDOS program, but:

    When I try to issue the "net view" command (in CMD window), I get the
    following error:

    "System error 6118 has occured. The list of servers for this workgroup is
    not currently available."

    When I try to issue the "net view violin" command ((in CMD window), I get
    the following error:

    "The server serice is not started."

    I am now wondering, what is going on? How can I fix this? Couild it be
    the router blocking something?

    P.S. I even tried to disable the Windows built-in Firewall, but that did not seem to do the trick. I did not reboot after disabling it, but I figured that one doesnt need to do that.
  3. Quote:
    Hi - i have an even worse problem with the "NET" command. I am also trying to print from within the MSDOS program, but:

    When I try to issue the "net view" command (in CMD window), I get the
    following error:

    "System error 6118 has occured. The list of servers for this workgroup is
    not currently available."

    When I try to issue the "net view violin" command ((in CMD window), I get
    the following error:

    "The server serice is not started."

    I am now wondering, what is going on? How can I fix this? Couild it be
    the router blocking something?

    P.S. I even tried to disable the Windows built-in Firewall, but that did not seem to do the trick. I did not reboot after disabling it, but I figured that one doesnt need to do that.

    The problem has been fixed!

    This is how:

    Make sure that the Server service is started.

    Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
    Scroll down to and double click Server | Set
    Startup type to Automatic | Click Apply | Click the Start
    button | Click OK | Close Services.

    If Server is not listed in Services...
    This will restore the Server service (lanmanserver) so it will be listed in
    Services.msc.

    Open Network Connections...
    Start | Run | Type: ncpa.cpl | Click OK |
    Right click Your Connection | Properties |General tab |
    Install button | Highlight: Service | Add button |
    Highlight: File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks | Click OK |
    Close Network Connections
  4. I had the same problem when one of my computers on a network stoped using one of the ports that we were using for the printer. I found out that the computer was updated and the firewall protection on norton had been activated on the update. Once i turned off the firewall protection, the port became available again and i no longer had the error 66 problem. Hope this helps it helped me so I had to post it.

Workstations Command Prompt Windows XP Windows