net use command I receive an error 66

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

I am trying to use the following command from an XP Professional workstation
connecting to an NT 4.0 server to map a print drive. "net use lpt1:
\\servername\printqueuename". The command has worked before on many
occasions, but now, when I type in the command it is returning an error 66.

I tried to delete the lpt port by using the following command "net use lpt1:
delete" and I still get the error 66 returned. What is this error code. Is
the code a product of the Windows XP workstation or the Windows NT 4.0 server?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

Dear Mr. Paul Lockhart,

> \\servername\printqueuename". The command has worked before on many
> occasions, but now, when I type in the command it is returning an error
66.

Net Helpmsg 66 => Wrong network resource

Probably you have mispelled servername or printqueuename

Try to issue a NET VIEW to find out the machine's name first, then
NET VIEW \\machinename will list all the shared resources there.

Kind regards,
Davide Guolo
Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
http://www.guolo.com/printfil
Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

mystiky

Hi - i have an even worse problem with the "NET" command. I am also trying to print from within the MSDOS program, but:

When I try to issue the "net view" command (in CMD window), I get the
following error:

"System error 6118 has occured. The list of servers for this workgroup is
not currently available."

When I try to issue the "net view violin" command ((in CMD window), I get
the following error:

"The server serice is not started."

I am now wondering, what is going on? How can I fix this? Couild it be
the router blocking something?

P.S. I even tried to disable the Windows built-in Firewall, but that did not seem to do the trick. I did not reboot after disabling it, but I figured that one doesnt need to do that.

mystiky

Hi - i have an even worse problem with the "NET" command. I am also trying to print from within the MSDOS program, but:

When I try to issue the "net view" command (in CMD window), I get the
following error:

"System error 6118 has occured. The list of servers for this workgroup is
not currently available."

When I try to issue the "net view violin" command ((in CMD window), I get
the following error:

"The server serice is not started."

I am now wondering, what is going on? How can I fix this? Couild it be
the router blocking something?

P.S. I even tried to disable the Windows built-in Firewall, but that did not seem to do the trick. I did not reboot after disabling it, but I figured that one doesnt need to do that.

The problem has been fixed!

This is how:

Make sure that the Server service is started.

Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
Scroll down to and double click Server | Set
Startup type to Automatic | Click Apply | Click the Start
button | Click OK | Close Services.

If Server is not listed in Services...
This will restore the Server service (lanmanserver) so it will be listed in
Services.msc.

Open Network Connections...
Start | Run | Type: ncpa.cpl | Click OK |
Right click Your Connection | Properties |General tab |
Install button | Highlight: Service | Add button |
Highlight: File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks | Click OK |
Close Network Connections

dman2

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I had the same problem when one of my computers on a network stoped using one of the ports that we were using for the printer. I found out that the computer was updated and the firewall protection on norton had been activated on the update. Once i turned off the firewall protection, the port became available again and i no longer had the error 66 problem. Hope this helps it helped me so I had to post it.

TRENDING THREADS