Seagate 7200.9 Problem

canadaboy

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I am trying to install Windows XP PRO on my new Seagate 7200.9 160gb SATA2 drive and am having a problem. I have an Asus A8NSLI Deluxe BIOS rev 1.06 mobo, with the 7200.9 running off the nvidia sata port. The BIOS sees the hard drive fine, and i can get through the first part of the windows xp setup. It detects, formats, and copies the files over onto the hard drive. Then when the computer restarts for the first time to continue the windows install, it gives me an error " unable to load operating system". I've tried other ports on the board, and the same thing happens, the first part of the install works, but the computer can't boot off the drive. Has this happened to anyone, or can you guys suggest something that could fix this?

Also, if i put the 7200.9 in as a secondary drive, and boot off my old hard drive, windows sees it perfectly, and i can copy files to it. So i know the hard drive itself works.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow, that long post means squat. He has the A8N-SLI, I have experience here to know he doesn't need a driver floppy for that chipset. Really, so long as the thing is set to boot from the correct drive, and so long as RAID mode is disabled, things work. XP detects the drive as IDE because BIOS tells it to. No problems, no driver floppy needed for non-RAID mode on the nForce4 chipsets.