Sign in with
Your question

S3 (sleep) does not recover after SP1

Last response: in Windows 7
March 14, 2011 1:18:26 AM

Problem:
S3 does not resume after applying Windows 7 SP1.
System is Raid 0 on Intel driver with I5-750 on Gigabyte GA P55A UD4P
Symptoms: PS starts, Black screen, cannot start without turning off UPS.
After restart, Event Viewer shows Event 41

There seems to be a W7 SP1 Bug that prevents Wake-up from S3 (sleep) mode on certain configurations. From what I read on the Web it seems to be related to Workstations that Run 64-bit Windows 7 on a Raid 0 system. I tried many of the recommendations - None worked for me. Here is a description of the problem:
Powercfg /a shows S3 is available and Hibernation is disabled
S3 does not resume after applying Windows 7 SP1. (it worked fine before SP1.)
After restart, Event Viewer shows Event 41.

If you want to get a perspective on how wide spread this problem just Google "S3 resume hangs after Windows 7 SP1"

Can anyone supply more information about the above bug?

More about : sleep recover sp1

April 28, 2011 2:34:03 PM

Lee Gordon said:
Problem:
S3 does not resume after applying Windows 7 SP1.
After restart, Event Viewer shows Event 41

There seems to be a W7 SP1 Bug that prevents Wake-up from S3 (sleep) mode on certain configurations. From what I read on the Web it seems to be related to Workstations that Run 64-bit Windows 7 on a Raid 0 system. I tried many of the recommendations - None worked for me. Here is a description of the problem:
Powercfg /a shows S3 is available and Hibernation is disabled
S3 does not resume after applying Windows 7 SP1. (it worked fine before SP1.)
After restart, Event Viewer shows Event 41.

If you want to get a perspective on how wide spread this problem just Google "S3 resume hangs after Windows 7 SP1"

Can anyone supply more information about the above bug?

----------------------------
I have the exact same problem, no resume from S3 sleep and must turn of power supply to get things running again. Using Win 7 on GA-P55A-UD4P bios F14 (latest) all works fine, but as soon as I install SP1 it will not resume from S3 sleep. Uninstall SP1, and it all goes back to working fine. Hibernate and S1 sleep do work with or without SP1.

You should type powercfg -energy and look at the report it produces. It will specifically indicate that there is an incompatibility with the PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM). It is that incompatibilty that stops the resume. I have spoken to Microsoft's tech support extensively, rising from level 1 tech support to level 2 and they concluded that this could not be fixed and that there was an incompatibility between the bios and SP1. I have written Gigabyte support and they have told me to contact Microsoft...and around and around I go.

Hopefully, Gigabyte will stand behind their product and fix this in the next bios upgrade.

My powercfg -energy readout is this:
Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report

Computer Name XXXXXX
Scan Time 2011-04-27T18:40:07Z
Scan Duration 90 seconds
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Product Name P55A-UD4P
BIOS Date 09/16/2010
BIOS Version F14
OS Build 7601
Platform Role PlatformRoleDesktop
Plugged In true
Process Count 58
Thread Count 826
Report GUID {26b39092-f9bb-4b63-baae-23da1eee2fa2}

Analysis Results
Errors

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend
The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
Device Name USB Composite Device
Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B38
Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 2
Device ID USB\VID_046D&PID_C068
Port Path 1

Platform Power Management Capabilities:p CI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

The USB problem I have seen on other computers and that does not cause S3 to fail. The last item "(ASPM) Disabled" is the explanation for the failure.
m
l
!