How Many Use Windows 2000?

Last response: in Video Games
March 14, 2005 12:59:35 PM

Just an informal poll: how many here are using either Windows
2000 or Windows 2003 for playing FS2004?

The recent upgrade to Reality-XP's Garmin GPS is now Windows XP
only. Because XP has 85% market share and Windows 2K has only
5% market share, they decided to only support XP. What is even
a worse development is that Dreamfleet's latest airplane only
supports Windows XP (probably because it uses the Reality Garmin,
but they refuse to disclose why). When you ask Reality what API
they use in Windows XP that is not present in Windows 2000, they
refuse to answer claiming it is "proprietary". (How can
Microsoft's public API be proprietary to the vendor that uses
it?!)

I tried to start a thread on Dreamfleet's support forum, but
their policy appears to be to simply answer "tough" and then lock
down the thread so no one can say anything further. They
encourage people to "upgrade" to Windows XP, which is of course a
non-sequitor considering that Windows XP is a consumer system and
Windows 2000 is a more robust OS with a superset of the basic OS
and APIs found in Windows XP.

Before I go out and blow another $1500 to buy a Windows XP
computer just to play FS2004, and before I spend another 40 hours
of my life re-installing the 20 other aircraft and hardware
add-ons to the toy operating system, I just want to be convinced
that very few people are running anything else but Windows XP.
Having a separate computer for FS2004 is probably not a bad thing
in any case, as I can keep the configuration simple and focused,
but if there are any other Windows 2000 users out there I would
like to hear from you.

--
Will
Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

More about : windows 2000

March 14, 2005 4:55:49 PM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:59:35 -0800, "Will"
<DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> brought the following to our
attention:

Will.. the 85% market comes from where? New sales? Really now.. I'll
bet a LOT of companies still have Win2000-based departments. Back in
1998 I predicted both verbally and in writing that continuously up-
grading hardware, software... and the support to straighten out issues
would WIPE the profits from a company.

Personally I witnessed a company that was mired in serious and
unresolved WinNT/95/95 system and office problems that were killing
their bottom line. So then.. let's venture to say that quite a few
LARGE organizations are still using 2000. (any more data on this?)

* * * *

Personally.. am quite happy with a Win2000 Advanced Server and
5-client Wkstn License.. and run the Server on a BIG boat-anchor of
a box with 6-bay horizontal SCSI cage in front. Not to mention a dual
Xeon Workstation which is the main-line machine! Here's the `Lab'..

http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/dual_Sim.jpg (dual 21" tubes)

* notice Sidewinder Precision 2, and mini-stick (arrow) for spoilers

As for DF.. installing one of their latest packages in Win2000 Pro
damaged the OS to a `near re-install' condition. (see post in this NG)
With some Admin tricks and Recovery Console.. was able to repair the
OS fully. T-o-M for instance works ok now.. but like you said.. NOT
ready to shell out 1'000s of $$ for a new LAN and OS license.

This isn't a rag on DF.. just a reply in support of the Win2000 OS.

-Gregory

p.s. been wanting to post that pic.. just had to find it!! :)

----------
>Just an informal poll: how many here are using either Windows
>2000 or Windows 2003 for playing FS2004?
>
>The recent upgrade to Reality-XP's Garmin GPS is now Windows XP
>only. Because XP has 85% market share and Windows 2K has only
>5% market share, they decided to only support XP. What is even
>a worse development is that Dreamfleet's latest airplane only
>supports Windows XP (probably because it uses the Reality Garmin,
>but they refuse to disclose why). When you ask Reality what API
>they use in Windows XP that is not present in Windows 2000, they
>refuse to answer claiming it is "proprietary". (How can
>Microsoft's public API be proprietary to the vendor that uses
>it?!)
>
>I tried to start a thread on Dreamfleet's support forum, but
>their policy appears to be to simply answer "tough" and then lock
>down the thread so no one can say anything further. They
>encourage people to "upgrade" to Windows XP, which is of course a
>non-sequitor considering that Windows XP is a consumer system and
>Windows 2000 is a more robust OS with a superset of the basic OS
>and APIs found in Windows XP.
>
>Before I go out and blow another $1500 to buy a Windows XP
>computer just to play FS2004, and before I spend another 40 hours
>of my life re-installing the 20 other aircraft and hardware
>add-ons to the toy operating system, I just want to be convinced
>that very few people are running anything else but Windows XP.
>Having a separate computer for FS2004 is probably not a bad thing
>in any case, as I can keep the configuration simple and focused,
>but if there are any other Windows 2000 users out there I would
>like to hear from you.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 7:15:38 PM

"Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
> Just an informal poll: how many here are using either Windows
> 2000 or Windows 2003 for playing FS2004?

I use W2K Pro on my only computer.

> The recent upgrade to Reality-XP's Garmin GPS is now Windows XP
> only. Because XP has 85% market share and Windows 2K has only
> 5% market share, they decided to only support XP. What is even
> a worse development is that Dreamfleet's latest airplane only
> supports Windows XP (probably because it uses the Reality Garmin,
> but they refuse to disclose why). When you ask Reality what API
> they use in Windows XP that is not present in Windows 2000, they
> refuse to answer claiming it is "proprietary". (How can
> Microsoft's public API be proprietary to the vendor that uses
> it?!)

Guess I'll avoid those products, then. Oh well, they sounded nice, but
if they won't work with my OS...

--
Earl Needham
Clovis, New Mexico USA

Just an informal poll: how many here are using either Windows
2000 or Windows 2003 for playing FS2004?

Count me for one.

The recent upgrade to Reality-XP's Garmin GPS is now Windows XP
only. Because XP has 85% market share and Windows 2K has only
5% market share, they decided to only support XP...

I have a hard time believing that XP has 85% of the market share and
that Windows 2000 only has 5%. Since the last I had heard the
Windows 9x (including ME) still has about 50% of the market share.

... I tried to start a thread on Dreamfleet's support forum,
but their policy appears to be to simply answer "tough" and
then lock down the thread so no one can say anything further.
They encourage people to "upgrade" to Windows XP, which is of
course a non-sequitor considering that Windows XP is a consumer
system and Windows 2000 is a more robust OS with a superset of
the basic OS and APIs found in Windows XP.

I don't like the sound of that!

Before I go out and blow another $1500 to buy a Windows XP
computer just to play FS2004, and before I spend another 40
hours of my life re-installing the 20 other aircraft and
hardware add-ons to the toy operating system, I just want to be
convinced that very few people are running anything else but
Windows XP. Having a separate computer for FS2004 is probably
not a bad thing in any case, as I can keep the configuration
simple and focused, but if there are any other Windows 2000
users out there I would like to hear from you.

Well count me in! I've told people who have XP to go ahead and
install SP2. And in every case I have been called out to fix them.
And XP SP2 was removed to restore them back to operational state
once again. XP SP2 has some good things, but it only allows all or
nothing. That is so sad! I'm glad that I still only use Windows 2000
here.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 9:44:42 PM

Will wrote:
> Because XP has 85% market share and Windows 2K has only
> 5% market share, they decided to only support XP.

Where did those statistics come from? I know loads of people on Windows
2000, I reckon the percentage is higher than that.

Huw
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 9:44:43 PM

Here is the thread I started on the Flightsim forum asking why
did they fail to support Windows 2000:

http://forums.flightsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID33/86.html

They refer to the statistics I am quoting in the thread.

From what I understand the Dreamfleet airplane runs under Windows
2000. They just don't support it. The problem is that Reality
XP actively *blocks* Windows 2000. Not supporting is one thing.
Deliberately crippling is quite another, and it seems just petty.
He is going to make people spend thousands of dollars to buy new
hardware and run a second OS just to avoid three or four days of
programming?

--
Will
Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

"Huw Roberts" <f@ke.com> wrote in message
> Will wrote:
> > Because XP has 85% market share and Windows 2K has only
> > 5% market share, they decided to only support XP.
>
> Where did those statistics come from? I know loads of people
on Windows
> 2000, I reckon the percentage is higher than that.
>
> Huw
March 14, 2005 9:50:08 PM

"Huw Roberts" <f@ke.com> wrote in message
> Will wrote:
> > Because XP has 85% market share and Windows 2K has only
> > 5% market share, they decided to only support XP.
>
> Where did those statistics come from? I know loads of people on Windows
> 2000, I reckon the percentage is higher than that.
>
> Huw
count me i nIuse win 2000 pro only on all my computers

John
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 10:08:00 PM

I work for the main power distributor in my state (NSW Australia) and
every one of the thousands of PCs and laptops they use runs Windows
2000 Pro.I'm not sure if this is for reliability or that they just got
the licences cheap and are too stingy to upgrade

Bryan

March 14, 2005 10:20:18 PM

Will wrote:
> Just an informal poll: how many here are using either Windows
> 2000 or Windows 2003 for playing FS2004?
>
> The recent upgrade to Reality-XP's Garmin GPS is now Windows XP
> only. Because XP has 85% market share and Windows 2K has only
> 5% market share, they decided to only support XP.

<snip>

I'm guessing here, but maybe they are referring to the home PC market? I'm
sure lots of business users have 2000 on their machines, but not so many
home users perhaps? Even so, those figures still seem a bit skewed.

Tim
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 10:34:35 PM

"Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in

> Just an informal poll: how many here are using either Windows
> 2000 or Windows 2003 for playing FS2004?
>
> The recent upgrade to Reality-XP's Garmin GPS is now Windows XP
> only. Because XP has 85% market share and Windows 2K has only
> 5% market share, they decided to only support XP. What is even
> a worse development is that Dreamfleet's latest airplane only
> supports Windows XP (probably because it uses the Reality Garmin,
> but they refuse to disclose why). When you ask Reality what API
> they use in Windows XP that is not present in Windows 2000, they
> refuse to answer claiming it is "proprietary". (How can
> Microsoft's public API be proprietary to the vendor that uses
> it?!)
>
> I tried to start a thread on Dreamfleet's support forum, but
> their policy appears to be to simply answer "tough" and then lock
> down the thread so no one can say anything further. They
> encourage people to "upgrade" to Windows XP, which is of course a
> non-sequitor considering that Windows XP is a consumer system and
> Windows 2000 is a more robust OS with a superset of the basic OS
> and APIs found in Windows XP.
>
> Before I go out and blow another $1500 to buy a Windows XP
> computer just to play FS2004, and before I spend another 40 hours
> of my life re-installing the 20 other aircraft and hardware
> add-ons to the toy operating system, I just want to be convinced
> that very few people are running anything else but Windows XP.
> Having a separate computer for FS2004 is probably not a bad thing
> in any case, as I can keep the configuration simple and focused,
> but if there are any other Windows 2000 users out there I would
> like to hear from you.

My hand's in the air.

O.T., but a rant irregardless ...Am stuck with Adobe Premier 6.0, 'cause
the newest version only supports XP. Can you say discrimination? Am I
living in the past?

--
e v e n S k y

Athlon 266Ghz
1 G Ram
GeForce FX5900XT
160G H-D
80G H-D
W2K, FS9
Wingman Strike force 3D AND....
Newly Acquired....
CH Products Yoke and Rud Ped's
March 14, 2005 11:35:26 PM

"Will"
> They refer to the statistics I am quoting in the thread.

From the 2004 Avsim survey:

Windows 95 0% (0)

Windows 98, 98SE 5.9% (90)

Windows ME 1.1% (17)

Windows NT 0.3% (5)

Windows XP Home / XP Pro 87.1% (1326)

Windows 2000 5.4% (82)

The survey size is only 1522 responses... you might have an argument with
the small sample size. You might also argue out of (guessing) 20,000
sales 5.4% represents 1080 lost customers and that's $25 grand gross in lost
sales.

Money talks.

Dallas
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 12:23:55 AM

Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:35:26 GMT

"Will"

> They refer to the statistics I am quoting in the thread.

From the 2004 Avsim survey:

Windows 95 0% (0)

Windows 95 hasn't been updated as far as Windows Updates since the
late 2000's. As far as modern hardware, it isn't so good. But I
still have one machine (not connectioned to the Internet) that still
runs Windows 95 (no MS FS though).

Windows 98, 98SE 5.9% (90)

I have a hard time believing that this number as I believe it is too
low.

Windows ME 1.1% (17)

This is an odd ball OS from MS. Some "hate" it and some "love" it.
Rumors have it it MS spent too much time on Windows 2000 and not
enough time on ME.

Windows NT 0.3% (5)

No experience here whatsoever.

Windows XP Home / XP Pro 87.1% (1326)

It's big, but I doubt if it is that big!

Windows 2000 5.4% (82)

That is hard to believe. Since Windows 2000 in many ways is better
than Windows XP.

The survey size is only 1522 responses... you might have an
argument with the small sample size. You might also argue out
of (guessing) 20,000 sales 5.4% represents 1080 lost customers
and that's $25 grand gross in lost sales.

Money talks.

Dallas

Well I don't know about the above... but I only know about those
that I know of.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0
March 15, 2005 1:52:39 AM

BillW50 wrote:

> Well count me in! I've told people who have XP to go ahead and
> install SP2. And in every case I have been called out to fix them.
> And XP SP2 was removed to restore them back to operational state
> once again. XP SP2 has some good things, but it only allows all or
> nothing. That is so sad! I'm glad that I still only use Windows 2000
> here.

Hey Bill.... Are you saying *not* to install XP SP2????

Every time I start my computer the balloon pops up telling me I have an
update to install. I always click the X :)

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
March 15, 2005 2:05:48 AM

Will wrote:

> Try signing up on Dreamfleet's forum and start a new thread
> making the request. They aren't going to listen to me, that's
> clear. It's only if many Windows 2000 users get in their face
> and make a stink that they are going to understand isn't just
> used by three geeks in a closet.
>
> http://forums.flightsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID33/86.html

Will, I read the whole thread. Am I correct in reading that the majority
of user complaints logged on their Web page was from Win XP users? It
seems THAT should tell them something. I won't be buying anything from
them.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
March 15, 2005 2:05:49 AM

I'm with you, but tell that to them in their public forum. I think they
are going to need to hear from 20 W2K users before they believe they aren't
all living in my house. :)

--
Will

"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
> Will, I read the whole thread. Am I correct in reading that the majority
> of user complaints logged on their Web page was from Win XP users? It
> seems THAT should tell them something. I won't be buying anything from
> them.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:06:59 AM

boB wrote:

> Hey Bill.... Are you saying *not* to install XP SP2????
>
> Every time I start my computer the balloon pops up telling me I have an
> update to install. I always click the X :)

Installing SP2 only broke Norton Antivirus for me. That wasn't a
problem though, as I was planning on switching virus scanners anyway and
that was the kick I needed. :)

Huw
March 15, 2005 2:54:51 AM

Huw Roberts wrote:

> boB wrote:
>
>> Hey Bill.... Are you saying *not* to install XP SP2????
>>
>> Every time I start my computer the balloon pops up telling me I have
>> an update to install. I always click the X :)
>>

> Installing SP2 only broke Norton Antivirus for me. That wasn't a
> problem though, as I was planning on switching virus scanners anyway and
> that was the kick I needed. :)
>
> Huw

I switched over to AVG Free and am as pleased as punch!

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
March 15, 2005 5:33:00 AM

boB wrote:
> BillW50 wrote:
>
>> Well count me in! I've told people who have XP to go ahead and
>> install SP2. And in every case I have been called out to fix them.
>> And XP SP2 was removed to restore them back to operational state
>> once again. XP SP2 has some good things, but it only allows all or
>> nothing. That is so sad! I'm glad that I still only use Windows 2000
>> here.
>

> Hey Bill.... Are you saying *not* to install XP SP2????
>
> Every time I start my computer the balloon pops up telling me I have an
> update to install. I always click the X :)

I installed sp2 and half of my programs quit working. So I uninstalled
it real quick. All the fixes to Windows sure make The Linux on my dual
boot look good.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 5:49:54 AM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:52:39 GMT, boB <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom>
wrote:

>BillW50 wrote:
>
>> Well count me in! I've told people who have XP to go ahead and
>> install SP2. And in every case I have been called out to fix them.
>> And XP SP2 was removed to restore them back to operational state
>> once again. XP SP2 has some good things, but it only allows all or
>> nothing. That is so sad! I'm glad that I still only use Windows 2000
>> here.
>
>Hey Bill.... Are you saying *not* to install XP SP2????
>
>Every time I start my computer the balloon pops up telling me I have an
>update to install. I always click the X :)

On the PC I just replaced, SP2 brought my frame rates down in half and
caused the audio to stutter. Uninstall left it the same way. Luckily
system restore fixed it.

Bob
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 6:49:41 AM

Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:52:39 GMT

BillW50 wrote:

> Well count me in! I've told people who have XP to go ahead and
> install SP2. And in every case I have been called out to fix them.
> And XP SP2 was removed to restore them back to operational state
> once again. XP SP2 has some good things, but it only allows all or
> nothing. That is so sad! I'm glad that I still only use Windows 2000
> here.

Hey Bill.... Are you saying *not* to install XP SP2????

Yeap! That is what I am saying.

Every time I start my computer the balloon pops up telling me I
have an update to install. I always click the X :)

Good deal boB! On the Kim Commando show (on the radio), she claims
that corporate America has to install SP2 like by April 16th. That
will be fun for sure.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 6:49:42 AM

BillW50 wrote:
> "boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
> Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:52:39 GMT
>
> BillW50 wrote:
>
>> Well count me in! I've told people who have XP to go ahead and
>> install SP2. And in every case I have been called out to fix them.
>> And XP SP2 was removed to restore them back to operational state
>> once again. XP SP2 has some good things, but it only allows all or
>> nothing. That is so sad! I'm glad that I still only use Windows 2000
>> here.
>
> Hey Bill.... Are you saying *not* to install XP SP2????
>
> Yeap! That is what I am saying.
>
> Every time I start my computer the balloon pops up telling me I
> have an update to install. I always click the X :)
>
> Good deal boB! On the Kim Commando show (on the radio), she claims
> that corporate America has to install SP2 like by April 16th. That
> will be fun for sure.
>

> Cheers!

> Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
> -- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

I honestly am suprised there are so many that still have not installed SP2,
if nothing else for the security reasons. I peruse the XP forums on the MS
server, and continue to see a bunch of folks that are talking about
installing SP2.
I guess I am just one that likes to keep updated best I can.

I will say, I had no trouble with it, and in fact, my XP Pro system seemed
to be a little more robust afterwards. But I did take all the necessary
precautions and made sure my system was cleaned, tuned, spyware free, and
ready for SP2.

Heck, I'm even now running dual boot with XP Pro 64 RC2, and both are doing
well. . :)

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 7:09:04 AM

Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 02:49:54 GMT

On the PC I just replaced, SP2 brought my frame rates down in
half and caused the audio to stutter. Uninstall left it the
same way. Luckily system restore fixed it.

Hi Bob... I haven't heard that one yet. But I wouldn't doubt it. I'm
still waiting to hear from anybody who just loves SP2. But so far,
nobody.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 8:02:48 AM

Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:23:27 -0600

I honestly am suprised there are so many that still have not
installed SP2, if nothing else for the security reasons.

In my experience, SP2 only has modest security. Meaning those that
has none.

I peruse the XP forums on the MS server, and continue to see a
bunch of folks that are talking about installing SP2.

It is like 75MB in size and changes the OS drastically.

I guess I am just one that likes to keep updated best I can.

Careful! As not all updates are a good thing! I used to take meds
for high blood pressure. But mine was only borderline. Although they
had made me dopey. As I couldn't remember the last 2 minutes. And
they only worked for about 2 weeks and then my blood pressure
returned to my norm anyway. So I quit taking them. Later two of them
where taken off of the market for killing people. While I know of no
software that will shorten your life, but it works about the same.

I will say, I had no trouble with it, and in fact, my XP Pro
system seemed to be a little more robust afterwards. But I did
take all the necessary precautions and made sure my system was
cleaned, tuned, spyware free, and ready for SP2.

Well you are the first! Although those that had a cleaned system to
begin with really don't need SP2. As SP2 is only useful for those
that don't.

Heck, I'm even now running dual boot with XP Pro 64 RC2, and
both are doing well. . :)

You seem to be a big upgrade fan. I rather wait and buy last years
new technology stuff at a big discount.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 8:02:49 AM

BillW50 wrote:
> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:23:27 -0600
>
> I honestly am suprised there are so many that still have not
> installed SP2, if nothing else for the security reasons.
>
> In my experience, SP2 only has modest security. Meaning those that
> has none.
>
> I peruse the XP forums on the MS server, and continue to see a
> bunch of folks that are talking about installing SP2.
>
> It is like 75MB in size and changes the OS drastically.
>
> I guess I am just one that likes to keep updated best I can.
>
> Careful! As not all updates are a good thing! I used to take meds
> for high blood pressure. But mine was only borderline. Although they
> had made me dopey. As I couldn't remember the last 2 minutes. And
> they only worked for about 2 weeks and then my blood pressure
> returned to my norm anyway. So I quit taking them. Later two of them
> where taken off of the market for killing people. While I know of no
> software that will shorten your life, but it works about the same.
>
> I will say, I had no trouble with it, and in fact, my XP Pro
> system seemed to be a little more robust afterwards. But I did
> take all the necessary precautions and made sure my system was
> cleaned, tuned, spyware free, and ready for SP2.
>
> Well you are the first! Although those that had a cleaned system to
> begin with really don't need SP2. As SP2 is only useful for those
> that don't.
>
> Heck, I'm even now running dual boot with XP Pro 64 RC2, and
> both are doing well. . :)
>
> You seem to be a big upgrade fan. I rather wait and buy last years
> new technology stuff at a big discount.
>

> Cheers!

> Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
> -- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

LOL, yeah, I guess I am at that. I ain't happy unless I am tinkering with
something on this dang machine! I do try and stay a little behind anyways to
give me something to look foward too - holding out on upgrading my 9800 Pro,
and I know it is a bottleneck in my system right now..

To me, it seems like SP2 was a really major update to the OS, millions of
line of code were changed, a lot of things to it's core that we don't see I
am sure.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 10:26:52 AM

boB wrote:

> I switched over to AVG Free and am as pleased as punch!

Same here! :)

Huw
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 12:45:40 PM

I just love SP2. Had problem with it installing an older version of my video driver and sound driver. But I just
installed after that and all was good.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 02:49:54 GMT

On the PC I just replaced, SP2 brought my frame rates down in
half and caused the audio to stutter. Uninstall left it the
same way. Luckily system restore fixed it.

Hi Bob... I haven't heard that one yet. But I wouldn't doubt it. I'm
still waiting to hear from anybody who just loves SP2. But so far,
nobody.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 1:35:28 PM

If you already have a good firewall, and virus protect running, you
need SP2 like a fish needs a bicycle.

Bob

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 04:09:04 GMT, "BillW50" <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote:

>"Bob Cordone" <nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 02:49:54 GMT
>
> On the PC I just replaced, SP2 brought my frame rates down in
> half and caused the audio to stutter. Uninstall left it the
> same way. Luckily system restore fixed it.
>
>Hi Bob... I haven't heard that one yet. But I wouldn't doubt it. I'm
>still waiting to hear from anybody who just loves SP2. But so far,
>nobody.
>

>Cheers!

>Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
>-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 1:49:01 PM

Not quite true. There are a lot of under the hood security fixes (unpublished for security reasons) not in SP1 that are
incorporated in SP2. And a few recent updates that only work with SP2 that you should have also. Some of these fixes
are for security problems that have nothing to do with firewalls. Saying you don't need SP2 is just plain bad security
advice. Granted some of the fixes are IPSEC related and domain related and don't apply to the home user, but some are
generic to all machines.

On the W2K topic I really like that OS. But you need to be a bit savvy on OS security to really use it safely.
Anything prior to W2K I don't bother with.

Think about it, all the cells in your body have replaced themselves since WIN98 came out.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"Bob Cordone" <nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:rhed31tr6pke2mq1hfmesdb2hp46oa05nn@4ax.com...

> If you already have a good firewall, and virus protect running, you
> need SP2 like a fish needs a bicycle.
>
> Bob
>

> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 04:09:04 GMT, "BillW50" <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote:
>

>>"Bob Cordone" <nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 02:49:54 GMT
>>
>> On the PC I just replaced, SP2 brought my frame rates down in
>> half and caused the audio to stutter. Uninstall left it the
>> same way. Luckily system restore fixed it.
>>
>>Hi Bob... I haven't heard that one yet. But I wouldn't doubt it. I'm
>>still waiting to hear from anybody who just loves SP2. But so far,
>>nobody.
>>

>>Cheers!
>>

>>________________________________________________________
>>Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
>>-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:14:16 PM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:49:01 GMT, "Carl Frisk"
<c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> wrote:

>Not quite true. There are a lot of under the hood security fixes (unpublished for security reasons) not in SP1 that are
>incorporated in SP2. And a few recent updates that only work with SP2 that you should have also. Some of these fixes
>are for security problems that have nothing to do with firewalls. Saying you don't need SP2 is just plain bad security
>advice. Granted some of the fixes are IPSEC related and domain related and don't apply to the home user, but some are
>generic to all machines.
>
>On the W2K topic I really like that OS. But you need to be a bit savvy on OS security to really use it safely.
>Anything prior to W2K I don't bother with.
>
>Think about it, all the cells in your body have replaced themselves since WIN98 came out.

According to our Worldwide Company IT people, SP2 is not necessary,
if you have good firewall's and security in place. Microsoft admits
that about 15% of people that install SP2 will have problems with it.
If you had a chance to have cosmetic surgery, and the Doctor told you
that there was a 15% risk of something going very wrong, would you
consider that a good gamble? I wouldn't.

Bob
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:20:55 PM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:49:01 GMT, "Carl Frisk"
<c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> wrote:

>Not quite true. There are a lot of under the hood security fixes (unpublished for security reasons) not in SP1 that are
>incorporated in SP2. And a few recent updates that only work with SP2 that you should have also. Some of these fixes
>are for security problems that have nothing to do with firewalls. Saying you don't need SP2 is just plain bad security
>advice. Granted some of the fixes are IPSEC related and domain related and don't apply to the home user, but some are
>generic to all machines.
>
>On the W2K topic I really like that OS. But you need to be a bit savvy on OS security to really use it safely.
>Anything prior to W2K I don't bother with.
>
>Think about it, all the cells in your body have replaced themselves since WIN98 came out.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=884130

Just some examples of some of the issues that pop up.

Bob
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 8:42:32 PM

"evenSky" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in
>
>> Just an informal poll: how many here are using either Windows
>> 2000 or Windows 2003 for playing FS2004?

Remarkably (for me) I have had no issues with SP2 but I did install it as
part of a new insatllation so that may have avoided some problems! This
was a couple of months ago since I decided to wait and let others sort out
problems! My feedback from the IT world is that it has been mostly well
received.
However, FS2004 is on a separate scsi drive which is W2000!

Chris
March 15, 2005 10:35:28 PM

"Carl Frisk"
> Think about it, all the cells in your body have replaced themselves since
WIN98 came out.

I've got a few in my brain that didn't come back. <G>

Dalli
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:55:48 AM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:59:35 -0800, Will wrote:

> The recent upgrade to Reality-XP's Garmin GPS is now Windows XP
> only. Because XP has 85% market share and Windows 2K has only
> 5% market share, they decided to only support XP. What is even
> a worse development is that Dreamfleet's latest airplane only
> supports Windows XP (probably because it uses the Reality Garmin,
> but they refuse to disclose why). When you ask Reality what API
> they use in Windows XP that is not present in Windows 2000, they
> refuse to answer claiming it is "proprietary". (How can
> Microsoft's public API be proprietary to the vendor that uses
> it?!)

There are a lot of advanced features in the FS engine that simply aren't
supported by Win2000, WinME or Win98SE. Specifically, Win2k doesn't
support the FS implentation of GDI+ at all, which is what most of the newer
gauge programming uses, including Reality XP. The Avidyne Entegra system
featured in ESDG's Cirrus SR20G2 currently under development will likewise
be limited to WinXP or later systems.

Bill
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 3:15:37 AM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:26:44 -0800, Will wrote:

> From what I understand the Dreamfleet airplane runs under Windows
> 2000. They just don't support it. The problem is that Reality
> XP actively *blocks* Windows 2000. Not supporting is one thing.
> Deliberately crippling is quite another, and it seems just petty.
> He is going to make people spend thousands of dollars to buy new
> hardware and run a second OS just to avoid three or four days of
> programming?

As I stated previously, it isn't a simple matter of "three or four days of
programming." The new version of GDI+ available in WinXP simply isn't
supported by earlier versions build on the .NT core:

"GDI+. Graphics Device Interface Plus (GDI+) is the portion of Microsoft
Windows.NET that provides two-dimensional vector graphics, imaging, and
typography. GDI+ improves on GDI (the graphics device interface included
with earlier versions of Windows) by adding new features and by optimizing
existing features."

Now it is certainly POSSIBLE for Win2k users to utilize the newest
releases, IF the user is willing and able to do a little work:

"Where Applicable
GDI+ can be used in all Windows-based applications. GDI+ is new technology
that is included in Windows XP and the Windows Server 2003. It is required
as a redistributable for applications that run on the Microsoft Windows NT
4.0 SP6, Windows 2000, Windows 98, and Windows Millennium Edition (Windows
Me) operating systems.

Run-time Requirements
Gdiplus.dll is included with Windows XP. For information about which
operating systems are required to use a particular class or method, see the
More Information section of the documentation for the class or method. GDI+
is available as a redistributable for Windows NT 4.0 SP6, Windows 2000,
Windows 98, and Windows Me. To download the latest redistributable, see
http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupda... .

Note If you are redistributing GDI+ to a downlevel platform or a platform
that does not ship with that version of GDI+ natively, install Gdiplus.dll
in your application directory. This puts it in your address space, but you
should use the linker's /BASE option to rebase the Gdiplus.dll to prevent
address space conflict."

Considering the number of potential PROBLEMS that can ensue with trying to
create a "one size fits all" payware release for FS, that is a HEADACE few
are even willing to consider...

Bill
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 3:15:38 AM

Thank you for a very informative and meaningful explanation of the real
technical issue.

So I have to ask why didn't RealityXP and Dreamfleet both do the following:

1) State that their software is supported by Windows XP and Windows 2003
because only those versions of Windows include GDI+, which is a required
technology only bundled in those two systems.

2) State that other versions of Windows OS *MAY* work if you install these
libraries manually, but none of these OS versions will be formally
supported.

The above would:

1) Provide a positive framework for the need to support a restricted set of
Windows OS platforms.

2) Provide a positive migration path for Windows 2000 users, by stating a
need to upgrade to Windows 2003.

3) Provide a fall-back plan for users who insisted on going it alone without
support.

Instead what does Reality XP do? They actively destroy the ability for
downlevel users to buy and use their software. I now at least understand
the technical issue, but the particular solution is not very positive.
And what happens with Reality XP if you upgrade to Windows 2003? My guess
is that they will also fail to work because probably they hardcoded a check
for Windows XP only.

--
Will

"Bill Leaming" <n4gix@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:26:44 -0800, Will wrote:
>
> > From what I understand the Dreamfleet airplane runs under Windows
> > 2000. They just don't support it. The problem is that Reality
> > XP actively *blocks* Windows 2000. Not supporting is one thing.
> > Deliberately crippling is quite another, and it seems just petty.
> > He is going to make people spend thousands of dollars to buy new
> > hardware and run a second OS just to avoid three or four days of
> > programming?
>
> As I stated previously, it isn't a simple matter of "three or four days of
> programming." The new version of GDI+ available in WinXP simply isn't
> supported by earlier versions build on the .NT core:
>
> "GDI+. Graphics Device Interface Plus (GDI+) is the portion of Microsoft
> Windows.NET that provides two-dimensional vector graphics, imaging, and
> typography. GDI+ improves on GDI (the graphics device interface included
> with earlier versions of Windows) by adding new features and by optimizing
> existing features."
>
> Now it is certainly POSSIBLE for Win2k users to utilize the newest
> releases, IF the user is willing and able to do a little work:
>
> "Where Applicable
> GDI+ can be used in all Windows-based applications. GDI+ is new technology
> that is included in Windows XP and the Windows Server 2003. It is required
> as a redistributable for applications that run on the Microsoft Windows NT
> 4.0 SP6, Windows 2000, Windows 98, and Windows Millennium Edition (Windows
> Me) operating systems.
>
> Run-time Requirements
> Gdiplus.dll is included with Windows XP. For information about which
> operating systems are required to use a particular class or method, see
the
> More Information section of the documentation for the class or method.
GDI+
> is available as a redistributable for Windows NT 4.0 SP6, Windows 2000,
> Windows 98, and Windows Me. To download the latest redistributable, see
> http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupda... .
>
> Note If you are redistributing GDI+ to a downlevel platform or a platform
> that does not ship with that version of GDI+ natively, install Gdiplus.dll
> in your application directory. This puts it in your address space, but you
> should use the linker's /BASE option to rebase the Gdiplus.dll to prevent
> address space conflict."
>
> Considering the number of potential PROBLEMS that can ensue with trying to
> create a "one size fits all" payware release for FS, that is a HEADACE few
> are even willing to consider...
>
> Bill
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 3:15:38 AM

By the way, when I asked the question to Reality what API did they need that
was only in Windows XP, they just made the situation even more frustrating
by saying that this was "proprietary information." Now how the heck can a
public Windows API to improve graphic handling and add graphic features be
proprietary to any vendor who uses it? I think their unwillingness to
explain decisions to adults in an adult way is even more frustrating than
the decision itself.

--
Will

"Bill Leaming" <n4gix@comcast.net> wrote in message
> "GDI+. Graphics Device Interface Plus (GDI+) is the portion of Microsoft
> Windows.NET that provides two-dimensional vector graphics, imaging, and
> typography. GDI+ improves on GDI (the graphics device interface included
> with earlier versions of Windows) by adding new features and by optimizing
> existing features."
>
> Now it is certainly POSSIBLE for Win2k users to utilize the newest
> releases, IF the user is willing and able to do a little work:
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 3:23:57 AM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:35:06 -0800, Will wrote:
> (What extra programming time? A well-written Windows
> application should be easily portable between XP and 2000 if it
> doesn't rely on any of the APIs that are only in Windows 2000
> (such as asynchronous I/O) ).

You are beating a dead horse, Will. Nearly all of the major players in FS
payware are now implementing the newest GDI+ API available in WinXP, as
well as some internal FS9 .dll's that simply aren't compatible with earlier
OS platforms.

Bill
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 3:23:58 AM

Why is it that all major FS players are not including GDI+ as a
resdistributable inside their application directories? If the OS already
has it installed, then don't install it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/gdicpp/GDIPlus/...

--

> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:35:06 -0800, Will wrote:
> > (What extra programming time? A well-written Windows
> > application should be easily portable between XP and 2000 if it
> > doesn't rely on any of the APIs that are only in Windows 2000
> > (such as asynchronous I/O) ).
>
> You are beating a dead horse, Will. Nearly all of the major players in FS
> payware are now implementing the newest GDI+ API available in WinXP, as
> well as some internal FS9 .dll's that simply aren't compatible with
earlier
> OS platforms.
>
> Bill
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 3:28:43 AM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:35:26 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> The survey size is only 1522 responses... you might have an argument with
> the small sample size. You might also argue out of (guessing) 20,000
> sales 5.4% represents 1080 lost customers and that's $25 grand gross in lost
> sales.

You might find this surprising, Dallas... but there is not one single FS
payware product that has EVER broken the 10,000 unit sales figure...

The *average* total sales for a product's sales life is under 5,000 units.

Bill
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 3:36:26 AM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 23:05:48 GMT, boB wrote:

> Will, I read the whole thread. Am I correct in reading that the majority
> of user complaints logged on their Web page was from Win XP users? It
> seems THAT should tell them something. I won't be buying anything from
> them.

Bob,

As with most such "teething problems," well over 90% are from what might be
most charitably described as "self inflicted wounds."

Bill
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 3:38:16 AM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:15:38 -0700, Earl Needham wrote:

> Guess I'll avoid those products, then. Oh well, they sounded nice, but
> if they won't work with my OS...

They WILL work on Win2k, *IF* you're willing to install the needed GDI+
support.

Bill
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 3:46:20 AM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:34:35 -0600, evenSky wrote:

> O.T., but a rant irregardless ...Am stuck with Adobe Premier 6.0, 'cause
> the newest version only supports XP. Can you say discrimination? Am I
> living in the past?

Adobe is using XP's GDI+ for drawing, along with "shared components" and
"side-by-side assemblies," none of which are supported by earlier
incarnations of Windows.

"An isolated application may use side-by-side assemblies. Assemblies are
the fundamental units of naming, binding, versioning, deployment, and
configuration. They come in two varieties, shared and private. A shared
assembly is available for use by multiple applications on the computer,
installed in the WinSxS folder in the Windows directory. A private assembly
is only visible to that application and is deployed within the directory
structure of the application."

Bill
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 3:55:24 AM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:24:18 -0800, Will wrote:

> I'm with you, but tell that to them in their public forum. I think they
> are going to need to hear from 20 W2K users before they believe they aren't
> all living in my house. :)

None of which will mean a damn thing. This hobby horse is dead, Will.

Even if you could whistle up 5,000+ Win2k users to bitch and moan it won't
make any difference. Technical incompatibilities are simply that, and no
amount of complaining is going to change the situation...

Bill
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 7:13:20 AM

This isn't cosmetic surgery for one so the comparison makes no sense as the analogy rapidly breaks down. Who is this
unidentified Worldwide Company? I'm curious what IT people think that. Though they may be using IPSEC which may
account for their bravado. But that advice then no longer applies to the home user as I know of no home users that have
the time, knowledge or hardware domain to enforce IPSEC.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"Bob Cordone" <nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:cngd31160qu0n4opifrgp1dc4iko5j0fu1@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:49:01 GMT, "Carl Frisk"
> <c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>Not quite true. There are a lot of under the hood security fixes (unpublished for security reasons) not in SP1 that
>>are
>>incorporated in SP2. And a few recent updates that only work with SP2 that you should have also. Some of these fixes
>>are for security problems that have nothing to do with firewalls. Saying you don't need SP2 is just plain bad
>>security
>>advice. Granted some of the fixes are IPSEC related and domain related and don't apply to the home user, but some are
>>generic to all machines.
>>
>>On the W2K topic I really like that OS. But you need to be a bit savvy on OS security to really use it safely.
>>Anything prior to W2K I don't bother with.
>>
>>Think about it, all the cells in your body have replaced themselves since WIN98 came out.
>

> According to our Worldwide Company IT people, SP2 is not necessary,
> if you have good firewall's and security in place. Microsoft admits
> that about 15% of people that install SP2 will have problems with it.
> If you had a chance to have cosmetic surgery, and the Doctor told you
> that there was a 15% risk of something going very wrong, would you
> consider that a good gamble? I wouldn't.
>
> Bob
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 7:15:17 AM

Those are firewall issues and I do agree with you on using a good firewall. XP's firewall is not a good firewall.
Those who disable it after install have no problems outlined in those KB articles.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"Bob Cordone" <nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:61hd31tqdkdnivv43fjfsroqbfrl5675ok@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:49:01 GMT, "Carl Frisk"
> <c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>Not quite true. There are a lot of under the hood security fixes (unpublished for security reasons) not in SP1 that
>>are
>>incorporated in SP2. And a few recent updates that only work with SP2 that you should have also. Some of these fixes
>>are for security problems that have nothing to do with firewalls. Saying you don't need SP2 is just plain bad
>>security
>>advice. Granted some of the fixes are IPSEC related and domain related and don't apply to the home user, but some are
>>generic to all machines.
>>
>>On the W2K topic I really like that OS. But you need to be a bit savvy on OS security to really use it safely.
>>Anything prior to W2K I don't bother with.
>>
>>Think about it, all the cells in your body have replaced themselves since WIN98 came out.
>

> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=884130

> Just some examples of some of the issues that pop up.
>
> Bob
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 7:16:08 AM

Found them :)

You said what to your fifth grade teacher!

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message news:4OGZd.9493$oO4.8771@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...

> "Carl Frisk"
>> Think about it, all the cells in your body have replaced themselves since
> WIN98 came out.
>
> I've got a few in my brain that didn't come back. <G>
>
> Dalli

March 16, 2005 9:52:05 AM

"Bill Leaming"
> You might find this surprising, Dallas... but there is not one single FS
> payware product that has EVER broken the 10,000 unit sales figure...

Yes, I'm surprised. My thoughts were based on a visit to PMDGs upgrade
download page. On that visit they had a "counter" displayed of the number
of downloads. The counter showed 20,760 downloads of the 1.3 upgrade. The
counter was not there the next time I went by...

I figured they had roughly one sale per upgrade downloaded.

How did you come up with the 10K figure?

Dallas
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:30:42 PM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:43:47 -0800, Will wrote:

> Instead what does Reality XP do? They actively destroy the ability for
> downlevel users to buy and use their software. I now at least understand
> the technical issue, but the particular solution is not very positive.
> And what happens with Reality XP if you upgrade to Windows 2003? My guess
> is that they will also fail to work because probably they hardcoded a check
> for Windows XP only.

According to my last correspondence with Jean-Luc, the version check HAS
been removed from the stand-alone release package. But, they still will
not provide support for OS other than WinXP Home or Pro editions.

The reality is that the technical requirements are even more complex than
I've written about thus far, which further exacerbates the support issues.
There are currently at least FOUR versions of the core gdiplus.dll (and all
its related gdixxx.dll components thay may be found on any WinXP user's
system, only ONE of which is compatible with the FS9 address calls from the
panels.dll and g3d.dll modules.

We have to program a version check of the current machine's gdiplus
components, and then install the correct ones if necessary, and register
them during the install process... all without replacing the current
gdiplus components (which may well be needed by another application!)... :)

Now you might wonder if the advantages of using GDI+ vector drawing classes
is worth the increased installation headaches, but they most certainly are!
A gauge such as the Avidyne Entegra with built-in TAS, moving map,
flightplan display, navaids, etc. simply isn't possible with conventional
bitmap based technology.

The MFD is currently 98% complete, yet weighs in at a mere 948 KB file
size. The equivalent gauge with conventional bitmap technique would offer
less than 40% of the functionality of the current GDI+ MFD, and would be in
excess of 2.3 MB!!! <Yikes!> ;)

Bill
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:30:43 PM

Bill, again, why don't the FS9 applications that need particular
GDI+ DLLs install those in their *APPLICATION* directories. Do
NOT overwrite the system DLL. By doing it that way you
guarantee:

1) You aren't going to accidentally wreck a shared resource that
was upgraded outside the scope of your application.

2) You aren't going to have a resource you depend on overwritten
by someone else.

3) You are always going to load your preferred version of the DLL
into your application's process space in preference to the system
shared copy.

4) You aren't going to need to write any kind of complex
installer, because you are now just affecting your own
application directory.

--
Will
Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

> The reality is that the technical requirements are even more
complex than
> I've written about thus far, which further exacerbates the
support issues.
> There are currently at least FOUR versions of the core
gdiplus.dll (and all
> its related gdixxx.dll components thay may be found on any
WinXP user's
> system, only ONE of which is compatible with the FS9 address
calls from the
> panels.dll and g3d.dll modules.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:32:21 PM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:46:18 -0800, Will wrote:

> By the way, when I asked the question to Reality what API did they need that
> was only in Windows XP, they just made the situation even more frustrating
> by saying that this was "proprietary information." Now how the heck can a
> public Windows API to improve graphic handling and add graphic features be
> proprietary to any vendor who uses it? I think their unwillingness to
> explain decisions to adults in an adult way is even more frustrating than
> the decision itself.

Welcome to the "World of Jean-Luc." Actually, he is just as obtuse at
times to his putative "partners." We're used to it by now and are able to
work around it... ;)

Bill
!