messed up music folder

This problem has really been puzzling me.

What happens is that every time I open my "My Music"
folder, the computer seems to slow down to a complete
halt, anything that I already had open crashes, and when
I restart explorer.exe, I am unable to run any other
programs after that. I end up having to re-boot, which
fixes absolutely nothing.

There is a lone .avi file in there that I have been
absolutely unable to delete for as long as I can
remember... It gives me the old "this file is in use"
error whenever I try to get rid of it... It makes me
suspicious that possibly this file could be corrupted and
is causing the problem? I'm really not sure WHAT is going
on... any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Hi Lauren,

Known issue with .AVI files. See here for a workaround.

Delete Stubborn AVI Files: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1206400,00.asp

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

"lauren" <lauren@crunkgames.com> wrote in message news:618d01c48223$1f843200$a501280a@phx.gbl...
This problem has really been puzzling me.

What happens is that every time I open my "My Music"
folder, the computer seems to slow down to a complete
halt, anything that I already had open crashes, and when
I restart explorer.exe, I am unable to run any other
programs after that. I end up having to re-boot, which
fixes absolutely nothing.

There is a lone .avi file in there that I have been
absolutely unable to delete for as long as I can
remember... It gives me the old "this file is in use"
error whenever I try to get rid of it... It makes me
suspicious that possibly this file could be corrupted and
is causing the problem? I'm really not sure WHAT is going
on... any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Thank you so much! This fixed the problem perfectly! :)

You're welcome Lauren.