I believe this is a problem...

iulibiz

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Hi guys and thnks for recieving me in your forum.

I have a Intel P4 3.0 GHZ prescott. With my case closed (without the side off) my CPU in idle stays at 45 and during CMR 2005 stays at 58-60 Celsius. And the case temperature after 30 min stays at 40 Celsius.
I was thinking that i want to drop the temp of my proc and of my case. But i noticed that my stock fan goes up in rpm only depending on the in case tmperature. When i had my case open i had problems with my proc going to 65-68 Celsius because the fan was not speening fast enough becasue the temperature of the system was arrownd 34-36 celsius.

My questions is... if i want to put a couple of fans in my case (intake and exaust) for better air circulation, wouldnt this make me have the same problem again? The one where my fan will not spin fast enough to cool the CPU? I say this because putting these fans i want to drop the temperatures but... what will be side efects??

I plan on buying another HTSK but when i'll win the lottery :( . until then i want to take care of my proc.

What do you think i should do? Is putting fans in my case and impooving air flow going to change the way my hetsink fan react and cool the CPU?

Thank you verry much!

94blue302gt

Distinguished
May 26, 2005
There should be an option to disable the adjustability of your fan somewhere.
It might be in the bios, or in some software your mobo manufacturer gave you, but if you have a factory (hp, gateway, etc.) mobo, you might not have that option available. Check your bios, list your computer specs, and we'll help ya out.

iulibiz

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
If there is such an option i have not find it... And believe me i've looked. There may be some words there that i'm not familiar with that may do that... :oops: but from what i know there arent. My MOBO is Epox 4pda3i, pentium 4 3.0Ghz, Ocz Ram 512 Mb, (2-3-2-5) 3200 platinum series, ati radeon 9600 pro, and that's bout it.

one other question do you know if my video board can be over clocked?

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
You could always just connect the CPU fan directly to an available 12v molex connector (using the black and red wires) so it would be full speed 24/7 :)

If the fan is a three wire deal, pull the other two out of the board connector and leave the third (yellow or white) connected, then it still can be speed monitored

iulibiz

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Yea but do you know how does a stock fan from intel at 4900 RPM sound like????
the sound is more than bothering. I don't want to keep the comp at idle with the fan at 4900 rpm. i would blow dry my hair in seconds :lol:

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
Yea but do you know how does a stock fan from intel at 4900 RPM sound like????
the sound is more than bothering. I don't want to keep the comp at idle with the fan at 4900 rpm. i would blow dry my hair in seconds :lol:

There are quite a few fan speed control units available, to turn it up for games and down for idle time...

Don't forget to use conditioner! ;)

iulibiz

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Guys really i need your help with this. i'm about to buy 3 or four top of the line case fans and i would't liek to waste that money. (I've been saving that to get a nother heatsink maby a zalman 7900? :D )

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
You realize the pump is only around 90-lph...
Not sure how good it will do cooling CPU and graphics card...
But it might do fine.

Yeah, i'm still toying with the idea, don't know much about pump strengths/requirements

RichPLS

Champion
It is a little light for two devices, but the radiater could probally handle it with a pump upgrade.
In my case, I wanted quiet cooling, and hopefully, the best air cooled temps (certainly it is not the best water cooling temps cause of the cost, but it is a great budget design and entry level system), with minimal fuss. and the cost was not much more than high end air cooling systems...
I plan on video card using stock cooling, which looks like the X1800XT has a pretty good air cooler.
If I decide to cool it also, I will either add a larger pump (wonder if you could put a splitter and another identical small pump :idea: the radiater I think will cool more if had more flow), replace pump with larger, buy upgraded water cooling system or something along those lines.

iulibiz

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Nice ideea. But i'm not looking to mod my sistem that much. What i am wondering is: if i will change the air flow in my case and cool it ....will the heatsink fan react slower at changing the values. i want to tell you guis that i'm not oc-ing... and not plan to...for the moment... :twisted:

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
That is strange though, I am running a prescot 3.4 with a stocky and gaming the most i've seen is 62c tops, average use is at 42c-44c

Look into the Antec P180 Case :)

iulibiz

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I've heard of many people saying that they have idle of 42-44 C. For me that is unthinkable. I am thinking of going to get arctic silver 5 and change the paste maby that will help it a little . What do you think? I've asked Santa (my girfriend) to give me that for christams and with 2 80mm fans one in the front and one in the back i hope to change my temperatures. I'm aiming for 3-5 Celsius to go down. What do you think? Is it doable ?

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
I've heard of many people saying that they have idle of 42-44 C. For me that is unthinkable. I am thinking of going to get arctic silver 5 and change the paste maby that will help it a little . What do you think? I've asked Santa (my girfriend) to give me that for christams and with 2 80mm fans one in the front and one in the back i hope to change my temperatures. I'm aiming for 3-5 Celsius to go down. What do you think? Is it doable ?

Thats do-able!

I've been meaning to get some Arc-5 myself :)