HP Laserjet 4 manual (PDF)?

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I need a PDF of the user's manual for the HP Laserjet 4. Does someone
have a link? Please!

I began installing this "new" old printer on a family member's PC and
was thwarted at the outset by an error code + the cryptic message "no
eps cart" after the power-on self test and preheating operations had
finished.

I just spent several hours drilling through HP's web site looking for a
manual but with no luck. While I did find a page with instructions for
locating and downloading manuals, executing those instructions did not
work because they don't match up with the actual web pages.

Michael
(Please note that my address is fake)

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:34:57 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers Michael
<NoSpam@att.net> wrote:

>I need a PDF of the user's manual for the HP Laserjet 4. Does someone
>have a link? Please!
>
>I began installing this "new" old printer on a family member's PC and
>was thwarted at the outset by an error code + the cryptic message "no
>eps cart" after the power-on self test and preheating operations had
>finished.

I believe it is telling you it either does not have a toner cartridge
installed, or it is incorrectly installed or for some other reason not
recognized by the printer.

Jimmy

send me a e-mail and I will send you the PDF file. disregard xyz and
numbers xyzjimmychancey112@hotmail.com

"Michael" <NoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
>I need a PDF of the user's manual for the HP Laserjet 4. Does someone
> have a link? Please!
>
> I began installing this "new" old printer on a family member's PC and
> was thwarted at the outset by an error code + the cryptic message "no
> eps cart" after the power-on self test and preheating operations had
> finished.
>
> I just spent several hours drilling through HP's web site looking for a
> manual but with no luck. While I did find a page with instructions for
> locating and downloading manuals, executing those instructions did not
> work because they don't match up with the actual web pages.
>

> Michael
> (Please note that my address is fake)

mark

Is there a Toner in the printer as HP tomer cartridges are labeled as EPS
Carts especially on the early models. If there is a tomer it may not be in
its "home" fully in position. Maybe take it out and replace. It may also
just need a new tomer.

"Michael" <NoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
>I need a PDF of the user's manual for the HP Laserjet 4. Does someone
> have a link? Please!
>
> I began installing this "new" old printer on a family member's PC and
> was thwarted at the outset by an error code + the cryptic message "no
> eps cart" after the power-on self test and preheating operations had
> finished.
>
> I just spent several hours drilling through HP's web site looking for a
> manual but with no luck. While I did find a page with instructions for
> locating and downloading manuals, executing those instructions did not
> work because they don't match up with the actual web pages.
>

> Michael
> (Please note that my address is fake)

Alan

Michael <NoSpam@att.net> wrote in message news:<4173D492.325834E5@att.net>...
> I need a PDF of the user's manual for the HP Laserjet 4. Does someone
> have a link? Please!

The Service Manual is at <http://tinyurl.com/39o2f>
(Not the same as the User's, but all Ive got -- it does have the error messages.)

Alan

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 05:14:22 UTC, "Jimmy" <whoknows@whocares.com> wrote:

> Correction, I don't have the user manual. One of the files I had was
> mislabeled.

It's worth getting the correct version of HP Explorer from the HP site.
This contains the online Travel Guide, a GUI manual that runs in DOS!
(the LJ4 one has a missing batch file but it's easy to fix)

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

Alan

Michael <NoSpam@att.net> wrote in message news:<4173D492.325834E5@att.net>...
> I need a PDF of the user's manual for the HP Laserjet 4. Does someone
> have a link? Please!
>
> I began installing this "new" old printer on a family member's PC and
> was thwarted at the outset by an error code + the cryptic message "no
> eps cart" after the power-on self test and preheating operations had
> finished.
>
> I just spent several hours drilling through HP's web site looking for a
> manual but with no luck. While I did find a page with instructions for
> locating and downloading manuals, executing those instructions did not
> work because they don't match up with the actual web pages.

HP has forums you can ask questions, but first try Googling for the
exact text of the error.

I'd guess it was "ERROR 12 Open or No EP Cartridge"
See <http://www.all-laser.com/cgibin/webc.cgi/store/errorcodes.html#ERROR12>
for one explanation.

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

I did not go through it, but I found this. You have probably already seen
it.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Resource.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=25487&prodTypeId=18972

Clark

"Alan" <7ibehx001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> Michael <NoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
>> I need a PDF of the user's manual for the HP Laserjet 4. Does someone
>> have a link? Please!
>>
>> I began installing this "new" old printer on a family member's PC and
>> was thwarted at the outset by an error code + the cryptic message "no
>> eps cart" after the power-on self test and preheating operations had
>> finished.
>>
>> I just spent several hours drilling through HP's web site looking for a
>> manual but with no luck. While I did find a page with instructions for
>> locating and downloading manuals, executing those instructions did not
>> work because they don't match up with the actual web pages.
>
> HP has forums you can ask questions, but first try Googling for the
> exact text of the error.
>
> I'd guess it was "ERROR 12 Open or No EP Cartridge"
> See
> <http://www.all-laser.com/cgibin/webc.cgi/store/errorcodes.html#ERROR12>
> for one explanation.

dribm

Distinguished
May 26, 2009

[b]Jimmy
Please snd manual to me also. I am going nuts. Same reg laserjet 4 connected to pc parrallel. also network cable to wireless router.
works fine for desktop connected, but cann not get laptops to see via wireless. Went to settings used exact ip address with hp print direct software n, no worky.ideas?
Thanks so much
Ton dribm2006@yahoo.com[/b]

bbillbb

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009

Reply from rtprslaser@rocketmail.com
The no ep cart message assuming the cart is installed means that the connections to the cart are bent or dirty or that the high voltage power supply is dirty or broke. First check the silver connections to the cart in the printer. Remove the HVPS: stand machine on end after removing cart. Remove 3 screws that secure the black box to the underside. Use a little force and wiggle the HVPS out. Inspect the springs and clean the contacts. To replace, carefully align the PS and shove it back and replace the screws.
I need some help - I need a pdf of the users guide for HP laserjet 4. Thanks

mciros1

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
14 NO EP CART Message
The printer detects the presence of the Toner Cartridge and the
level of toner present in the cartridge through the condition of the
ANTIN signal. The ANTIN signal becomes part of the serial data
stream used to communicate with the DC Controller (see Figure
7-5 for cartridge components). Troubleshoot the 14 NO EP CART
(or INSTALL TONER CARTRIDGE) message as follows:
1 Reseat the Toner Cartridge. Try a new or known good Toner
Cartridge.
2 Check the High Voltage Contacts for damage. If the contacts
are dirty or damaged, clean the contacts after the repair.
3 Replace the High Voltage Power Supply.
4 Check and reseat the HVPS cable.
5 Replace the DC Controller.
16