Wireless zero configuration and LAN

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
September 2, 2005 12:34:04 PM

I have a PC with a wired connection to the router. The router is a d-link
DI-784.

I have a notebook with a d-link DWL-G630 wireless adapter. I have file
sharing enabled on both computers so I can share files either way. The
configuration utility that came with the adapter is installed, and I can get
an internet connection just fine. However, in order to run this, I have to
turn off the wireless zero configuration utility. When I turn off wzc, I can
no longer share files. I can't even see them, and in fact receive a message
that they can't be accessed. Does the wzc have to be running in order to
share files over a wireless connection?

The problem with running just the wzc is I am always getiing "limited or low
connectivity" messages. When I use the d-link utility, I get connected
without any problem, but then can't access files.

What am I missing? I feel there is probably some configuration problem, but
I cannot figure it out.

Thanks
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 3, 2005 7:35:03 AM

WZC, besides of being a WPA supplicant for wireless,
also does 802.1x for wired adapters. Do you use 802.1x in your wired LAN?
--PA

"MGriff" <MGriff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4EC7FE8B-F014-4F5D-A7FA-DED123135ACF@microsoft.com...
>I have a PC with a wired connection to the router. The router is a d-link
> DI-784.
>
> I have a notebook with a d-link DWL-G630 wireless adapter. I have file
> sharing enabled on both computers so I can share files either way. The
> configuration utility that came with the adapter is installed, and I can get
> an internet connection just fine. However, in order to run this, I have to
> turn off the wireless zero configuration utility. When I turn off wzc, I can
> no longer share files. I can't even see them, and in fact receive a message
> that they can't be accessed. Does the wzc have to be running in order to
> share files over a wireless connection?
>
> The problem with running just the wzc is I am always getiing "limited or low
> connectivity" messages. When I use the d-link utility, I get connected
> without any problem, but then can't access files.
>
> What am I missing? I feel there is probably some configuration problem, but
> I cannot figure it out.
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 3, 2005 7:35:04 AM

At the risk of asking an embarassingly stupid question, how can I tell? I am
really not sure. I do not remember ever specifying anything in the
configuration about this.

Thanks

"Pavel A." wrote:

> WZC, besides of being a WPA supplicant for wireless,
> also does 802.1x for wired adapters. Do you use 802.1x in your wired LAN?
> --PA
>
> "MGriff" <MGriff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4EC7FE8B-F014-4F5D-A7FA-DED123135ACF@microsoft.com...
> >I have a PC with a wired connection to the router. The router is a d-link
> > DI-784.
> >
> > I have a notebook with a d-link DWL-G630 wireless adapter. I have file
> > sharing enabled on both computers so I can share files either way. The
> > configuration utility that came with the adapter is installed, and I can get
> > an internet connection just fine. However, in order to run this, I have to
> > turn off the wireless zero configuration utility. When I turn off wzc, I can
> > no longer share files. I can't even see them, and in fact receive a message
> > that they can't be accessed. Does the wzc have to be running in order to
> > share files over a wireless connection?
> >
> > The problem with running just the wzc is I am always getiing "limited or low
> > connectivity" messages. When I use the d-link utility, I get connected
> > without any problem, but then can't access files.
> >
> > What am I missing? I feel there is probably some configuration problem, but
> > I cannot figure it out.
> >
> > Thanks

a b F Wireless
September 4, 2005 3:38:48 AM

"MGriff" <MGriff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1E0031C4-925C-4CF4-8955-E2537051277A@microsoft.com...
> At the risk of asking an embarassingly stupid question, how can I tell? I am
> really not sure. I do not remember ever specifying anything in the
> configuration about this.

Hmm if this is a home private LAN and you've set it up yourself,
probably you don't use 1x.
But if this notebook is from work and set up by your IT, it's very possible.
When WZC is running, there is Authentication tab on LAN connection.
Is 802.1x checked on it?
--PA

> "Pavel A." wrote:
>
>> WZC, besides of being a WPA supplicant for wireless,
>> also does 802.1x for wired adapters. Do you use 802.1x in your wired LAN?
>> --PA
>>
>> "MGriff" <MGriff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4EC7FE8B-F014-4F5D-A7FA-DED123135ACF@microsoft.com...
>> >I have a PC with a wired connection to the router. The router is a d-link
>> > DI-784.
>> >
>> > I have a notebook with a d-link DWL-G630 wireless adapter. I have file
>> > sharing enabled on both computers so I can share files either way. The
>> > configuration utility that came with the adapter is installed, and I can get
>> > an internet connection just fine. However, in order to run this, I have to
>> > turn off the wireless zero configuration utility. When I turn off wzc, I can
>> > no longer share files. I can't even see them, and in fact receive a message
>> > that they can't be accessed. Does the wzc have to be running in order to
>> > share files over a wireless connection?
>> >
>> > The problem with running just the wzc is I am always getiing "limited or low
>> > connectivity" messages. When I use the d-link utility, I get connected
>> > without any problem, but then can't access files.
>> >
>> > What am I missing? I feel there is probably some configuration problem, but
>> > I cannot figure it out.
>> >
>> > Thanks

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 4, 2005 3:38:49 AM

The "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network" box is not checked.

Also, let me give you some more information. Before I purchased the
wireless adapter, I set up this LAN network with the notebook hard wired to
the router. I later installed the adapter. I should have mentioned this
earlier, but really just did not even remember it. I don't know if it makes a
difference, but thought I should mention it.

When I installed the wireless adapter, I used the D-link utility
installation disk and did the configurration with that. It really does not
matter to me which utility I use, either D-link or WZC. When I use the
D-link, I do not have the "limited connectivity" problem, but I can't access
the PC files. When I use the WZC utility, I can access files but always get
the limited connectivity message. I can eventually get connected by
repairing the connection, and sometimes by doing nothing at all.

Would it do any good if I uninstall the D-link configuration utility,
uninstall the adapter, then let windows and WZC reinstall?

I really appreciate your help.

"Pavel A." wrote:

> "MGriff" <MGriff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1E0031C4-925C-4CF4-8955-E2537051277A@microsoft.com...
> > At the risk of asking an embarassingly stupid question, how can I tell? I am
> > really not sure. I do not remember ever specifying anything in the
> > configuration about this.
>
> Hmm if this is a home private LAN and you've set it up yourself,
> probably you don't use 1x.
> But if this notebook is from work and set up by your IT, it's very possible.
> When WZC is running, there is Authentication tab on LAN connection.
> Is 802.1x checked on it?
> --PA
>
> > "Pavel A." wrote:
> >
> >> WZC, besides of being a WPA supplicant for wireless,
> >> also does 802.1x for wired adapters. Do you use 802.1x in your wired LAN?
> >> --PA

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 4, 2005 8:07:01 PM

Given that you see a message that the desktop can't be accessed,
it can be wrong assignment IP addresses.
Something like both of them are on same subnet.
Check what IP address gets each connection, it is DHCP or manually assigned...

Regards,
--PA

"MGriff" wrote:
> The "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network" box is not checked.
>
> Also, let me give you some more information. Before I purchased the
> wireless adapter, I set up this LAN network with the notebook hard wired to
> the router. I later installed the adapter. I should have mentioned this
> earlier, but really just did not even remember it. I don't know if it makes a
> difference, but thought I should mention it.
>
> When I installed the wireless adapter, I used the D-link utility
> installation disk and did the configurration with that. It really does not
> matter to me which utility I use, either D-link or WZC. When I use the
> D-link, I do not have the "limited connectivity" problem, but I can't access
> the PC files. When I use the WZC utility, I can access files but always get
> the limited connectivity message. I can eventually get connected by
> repairing the connection, and sometimes by doing nothing at all.
>
> Would it do any good if I uninstall the D-link configuration utility,
> uninstall the adapter, then let windows and WZC reinstall?
>
> I really appreciate your help.
>
> "Pavel A." wrote:
>
> > "MGriff" <MGriff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1E0031C4-925C-4CF4-8955-E2537051277A@microsoft.com...
> > > At the risk of asking an embarassingly stupid question, how can I tell? I am
> > > really not sure. I do not remember ever specifying anything in the
> > > configuration about this.
> >
> > Hmm if this is a home private LAN and you've set it up yourself,
> > probably you don't use 1x.
> > But if this notebook is from work and set up by your IT, it's very possible.
> > When WZC is running, there is Authentication tab on LAN connection.
> > Is 802.1x checked on it?
> > --PA

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 6, 2005 9:11:59 PM

The IP on the desktop is 192.168.0.101, and the notebook is 192.168.0.102.
The router is set to DHCP.

Thanks

"Pavel A." wrote:

> Given that you see a message that the desktop can't be accessed,
> it can be wrong assignment IP addresses.
> Something like both of them are on same subnet.
> Check what IP address gets each connection, it is DHCP or manually assigned...
>
> Regards,
> --PA
>
> "MGriff" wrote:
> > The "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network" box is not checked.
> >
> > Also, let me give you some more information. Before I purchased the
> > wireless adapter, I set up this LAN network with the notebook hard wired to
> > the router. I later installed the adapter. I should have mentioned this
> > earlier, but really just did not even remember it. I don't know if it makes a
> > difference, but thought I should mention it.
> >
> > When I installed the wireless adapter, I used the D-link utility
> > installation disk and did the configurration with that. It really does not
> > matter to me which utility I use, either D-link or WZC. When I use the
> > D-link, I do not have the "limited connectivity" problem, but I can't access
> > the PC files. When I use the WZC utility, I can access files but always get
> > the limited connectivity message. I can eventually get connected by
> > repairing the connection, and sometimes by doing nothing at all.
> >
> > Would it do any good if I uninstall the D-link configuration utility,
> > uninstall the adapter, then let windows and WZC reinstall?
> >
> > I really appreciate your help.

> > > Hmm if this is a home private LAN and you've set it up yourself,
> > > probably you don't use 1x.
> > > But if this notebook is from work and set up by your IT, it's very possible.
> > > When WZC is running, there is Authentication tab on LAN connection.
> > > Is 802.1x checked on it?
> > > --PA

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 9, 2005 8:45:52 PM

ok and what are values of IP mask and default router??
--PA

"MGriff" <MGriff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AD7B774D-39E2-402F-A7EF-58036931E8E8@microsoft.com...
> The IP on the desktop is 192.168.0.101, and the notebook is 192.168.0.102.
> The router is set to DHCP.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Pavel A." wrote:
>
>> Given that you see a message that the desktop can't be accessed,
>> it can be wrong assignment IP addresses.
>> Something like both of them are on same subnet.
>> Check what IP address gets each connection, it is DHCP or manually assigned...
>>
>> Regards,
>> --PA
>>
>> "MGriff" wrote:
>> > The "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network" box is not checked.
>> >
>> > Also, let me give you some more information. Before I purchased the
>> > wireless adapter, I set up this LAN network with the notebook hard wired to
>> > the router. I later installed the adapter. I should have mentioned this
>> > earlier, but really just did not even remember it. I don't know if it makes a
>> > difference, but thought I should mention it.
>> >
>> > When I installed the wireless adapter, I used the D-link utility
>> > installation disk and did the configurration with that. It really does not
>> > matter to me which utility I use, either D-link or WZC. When I use the
>> > D-link, I do not have the "limited connectivity" problem, but I can't access
>> > the PC files. When I use the WZC utility, I can access files but always get
>> > the limited connectivity message. I can eventually get connected by
>> > repairing the connection, and sometimes by doing nothing at all.
>> >
>> > Would it do any good if I uninstall the D-link configuration utility,
>> > uninstall the adapter, then let windows and WZC reinstall?
>> >
>> > I really appreciate your help.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 10, 2005 12:01:02 PM

The IP address of the router is 192.168.0.1. The router subnet mask is
255.255.255.0

PC - 192.168.0.101 & 255.255.255.0
Notebook - 192.168.0.102 & 255.255.255.0

Is this the info you need or is it something else? Please let me know if
you need more config information.

Thanks

"Pavel A." wrote:

> ok and what are values of IP mask and default router??
> --PA
>
> "MGriff" <MGriff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AD7B774D-39E2-402F-A7EF-58036931E8E8@microsoft.com...
> > The IP on the desktop is 192.168.0.101, and the notebook is 192.168.0.102.
> > The router is set to DHCP.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Pavel A." wrote:
> >
> >> Given that you see a message that the desktop can't be accessed,
> >> it can be wrong assignment IP addresses.
> >> Something like both of them are on same subnet.
> >> Check what IP address gets each connection, it is DHCP or manually assigned...
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> --PA

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 11, 2005 5:25:02 PM

I have to give up. Seems like the router
actually works as dhcp server, so it may be problem with
WEP or WPA keys, since wzc is involved.
Also it can be problem with WLAN device driver (less likely).

Good luck,
--PA

!