Replacing CPU and MOBO

splenda20

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
I'm going to be replacing my mobo and CPU later today. Could some please direct me to a detailed walkthrough of how to remove and install.

Thanks

offgreen

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2005
Don't those come with instructions for installing the CPU with the CPU and the mobo? That part isn't hard since they only go in one way.

pat

Expert
I don't know if you will remove the old CPU from your mobo, but just in case ...

To remove the old CPU, I suggest that you pull the HSF straight up.. well, perpendicular to the motherboard... because the CPU will likely stick to the HSF and get out of the socket. by pulling straigth, you won't bend pins and the cpu will be reusable.

to remove the CPU from the HSF, use a thin knife and pry the CPU off. I suggest that you put something, like the cushion that will come with your new CPU to prevent damaging the pin during this operation. Because I guess that the new CPU will be installed already in the socket.. Instructions come with the CPU to install..

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Try That on a Dell.

I Was Carefully taking the HS off a friend's dell, but it has a design whereby one side of it latches on and acts as a 'Hinge' - so you can't pull it straight up.

Bent a few pins, but had faith, carefully bent them back and it still worked fine :) These things are more resilient than people think.

But as to installing, it's easy. Just lift the lever and plop it in. It will go in quite easily when it's oriented correctly, so don't force it in.

I find it easier to install the memory and CPU HSF before I stick it into the case.

pat

Expert
When I had to remove mine, I thought about unscrewingthe HSF rack and remove it by jiggle it left to right, but I decided that it was going to be less trouble to simply pull them apart ..