Dual opteron or X2???

Shepppard

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
ok so I do alot of video Editing using AVID but I just started with this computer thing so I need some help...

I also play alot of video games, C.S source, FEAR, World of Warcraft so I Want something that can also do a decent job at running games as well as video editing. so This is what I'm going to be working with

7800 GT... probably get two eventually for SLI
1 GB of ram probably going to end up with 2 GB

so here is the question...

Do I go with a dual opteron board and two processors something like
AMD OPTERON 246 2.0 Ghz

or do I go with a X2 chip like the 4200+ X2

so I know the whole socket 939 and 940, if I do go opteron what mother board do I get to support SLI...

Any help you guys can give me will be great

mpjesse

Splendid
Do I go with a dual opteron board and two processors something like AMD OPTERON 246 2.0 Ghz or do I go with a X2 chip like the 4200+ X2
Tomshardware answered that question.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/07/single/

My suggestion is to get a dual core Athlon. If you can afford 2x operton's than you can afford the Athlon x2 4800.

-mpjesse

Shepppard

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
What about the possiblity of overclocking the CPU? does that not count or something... and the upgrade possibility?

yeah just a couple of thoughts

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
If you want the best overclocking, get a dual core Opteron for Socket 939. They seem be be able to ramp the best and in many cases can be found for cheaper than their X2 counterparts.

If you want SLI support you should stick with a Socket 939 board. I'm not sure if they have it for dual processor S940 systems. The performance difference between dual core and dual processor is neglible and the dual core is cheaper, uses less power and is simpler to set up.

Shepppard

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
ok so recap...

Better to get an X2 instead of dual opteron processor.
you can find SLI boards obviously easier...
now its easier to get dual, dual processor opteron for processing speed
and thos are easier to overclock...
ok... so anything else I should know. I think I'm going to go for the 4400+ X2
with two 7800 GT SLI I think that should be running well...
Has any one heard of the physics cards comming up? I might get one of those... ok thanks guys any thing else I should know would be great... like best board to get... I know I'm getting BFG 7800 GT but I dont know what board I should get.
ok thanks again

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
I think I may have been misunderstood. I didn't mean dual processor Opterons. I meant dual core Opterons. Those are similar to the X2 except they are better and all models offer 1MB of cache per core.

Here is an example.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103584

They run at lower voltages so they generally have higher clocking headroom. They should run on any motherboard that runs an X2 although a BIOS update may be required.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
nooo the recap is kinda wrong... the best soultiuon is to get a dual core S939 opertron, at the leaset unluckey they reach 2.8GHZ per core, if you got one of them "superchips" you'll get 3.1GHZ per core on air with SI/XP-120/XP-90/c. the single core S939 Opertron "superchips" get up to ~3.25GHZ (3.3 unconfirmed...) on a DFI expert with SI/XP-120/XP-90/c or some even with stock cooler!

Shepppard

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
ok I get it... that sounds good... any other thoughts on bang for you buck type thing? what would be the best best processor to get at this point?

Jazmodo

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
As i see it, you have two options: the first is to go with what you can afford. If you can afford to go for a dual opteron board, go for it, because in about 12 months time, you will be able to pick up some dual core opterons fairly cheaply, and double your compute power as a nice handy pc upgrade. for starters however, the dual opteron single cores will provide good overclocking performance compared to a dual core.

Your second option, is to wait until around may/june 2006, and wait for the new AMD processors to be released in their new sockets supporting virtualization, DDR2, Security Features and more. This system will benifit from cheaper memory (as opterons still require registered), and will be future proof for a long time (just like current 939 boards, a 939 board brought a year ago will still operate new chips, with a simple bios update). This will enable you to also create a faster more powerful system.

So you have a choice, Buy now and allow cheap, but Limited upgrades, or wait until mid-'06, and buy the new, higher powered chips, and have a more extensive upgrade path, albeit possibly more expensive...

pat

Expert
nooo the recap is kinda wrong... the best soultiuon is to get a dual core S939 opertron, at the leaset unluckey they reach 2.8GHZ per core, if you got one of them "superchips" you'll get 3.1GHZ per core on air with SI/XP-120/XP-90/c. the single core S939 Opertron "superchips" get up to ~3.25GHZ (3.3 unconfirmed...) on a DFI expert with SI/XP-120/XP-90/c or some even with stock cooler!

I wouldn't accept any advice from someone that cannot even spell the CPU name right..

Damn... it is OPTERON...OPTERON

O....P......T....E....R....O....N