Dual CPU cooler

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I have a Tyan K8WE board with dual opteron's (1.6gz).
Last nite I finally got tyan's monitoring software working so i could see tempratures, and after an hour of gaming, the CPU temps were 68 and 70 deg (C) - Im assuming this is WAY too hot.

The fans that came with the system arent the stock AMD fans, but neither are they working well.

I cant use the normal single CPU cooling solutions as the 2nd cpu has very little room above it.
Ideas & suggestions on how to solve this?

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
what cpu coolers did you have on them before jesus 70 degs you shouldnt be above 50. myabe you could take a picture or something so i could see the height problem, there are many solutions for low profile cpus. almost anything from thermalright is really good.

shawnlizzle

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
even opterons shouldn't go up in the 70s, i doubt it'll even break 50 without overclocking. you probably have a bad mount and not enough air flow

mpjesse

Splendid
Try to find the OEM heatsink/fan for those processors. Like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-2-New-AMD-Opteron-Heatsink-Fan-Kit-Model-250_W0QQitemZ6831207701QQcategoryZ80149QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-3-New-AMD-Opteron-Heatsink-Fan-Kit-Model-250_W0QQitemZ6832915495QQcategoryZ80149QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Both those auctions have heatsinks rated for Opteron 250's (2.4Ghz), so they'll cool very well.

Better hurry, the auction is over in 1hr. If the auction has ended by the time you read this, contact the seller and see if he has more. Or just search for more on eBay (there's a few more).

Once you get the heatsink/fans, get some alcohol and a cotton swab. Clean the processor dies off w/ a little alcohol. Do the same to the bottom of the heatsinks. Then get some good thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5 and spread a really really thin amount on the processor die. Next, install the heatsinks and your temps should go down significantly. If they don't, then there's an issue w/ you motherboard temp monitor; in which case I wouldn't worry about it.

IF the heatsinks have a thermal pad on the bottom AND it's unused, do not bother w/ any thermal compound. The thermal pads will do the job fine.

Despite what some people say, OEM heatsink/fan solutions work very well. My processor never goes above 32C idle w/ the stock AMD cooler on my X2 4200+.

-mpjesse

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
The coolers have 'Dynatron' written on them. And I have an Antec 1088 case.

I called the place I bought the system from and we determined the best solution is a new case.

But if i can get new fans w/o having to blow $300 on a huge case - im all for that.

Work got in the way -- so i missed the auction. but the coolers there dont look like they fit a socket 940

So they should not go above 50? heck thats where they Idle :!:
Gonna recheck fan directions when i get home.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
yeah i dont like it either - but cases to fit EATX boards (12" x 13") dont come cheap as they are classified as "server" cases which usually means price = price * 2.

go checkout server cases on newegg and you'll see what I mean.