• Yay

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Nay

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

Sycred

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I've been looking into an overhaul on my system and based on what I'm reading the future holds some interesting things that I deem worth waiting on.

1. AMD Proc's will be supporting DDR2 this time next year (the reason I'm posting under this section)

2. HDD's will be coming out with larger capacities and spin at 10,000 RPM's

3. QUAD SLi Video setups

So my question is, to better "future proof" would it be better to wait this next year out? And yes I see the contradiction of "future proofing" by waiting till the future. But still with all this coming out, along with windows vista, is now really a good time to spending money on technologies?

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
I've been looking into an overhaul on my system and based on what I'm reading the future holds some interesting things that I deem worth waiting on.

1. AMD Proc's will be supporting DDR2 this time next year (the reason I'm posting under this section)

2. HDD's will be coming out with larger capacities and spin at 10,000 RPM's

3. QUAD SLi Video setups

So my question is, to better "future proof" would it be better to wait this next year out? And yes I see the contradiction of "future proofing" by waiting till the future. But still with all this coming out, along with windows vista, is now really a good time to spending money on technologies?

Well,

Next year you will be asking:

1. AMD Proc's will be supporting DDR4 this time next year

2. HDD's will be coming out with larger capacities and spin at 20,000 RPM's

3. OCTO SLi Video setups

My point is, it is pretty much always a good time to upgrade unless said new tech is due out next week... :)

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
My thoughts: If the current system runs the programs adequately, don't upgrade. When the current system doesn't cut it, upgrade to the best available at the time. In my case it's 'watch the price/perf. curve, buy where the grade is just under 50%. (i.e., the 'point' on the curve where performance still goes up a lot, but price doesn't, and it's about to switch around so that price climbs a lot but performance doesn't)

So, does your current system perform for you? If so, keep it. If not, upgrade now. (actually, wait about 2 wks, Xmas price gouging should go back down)

Mike.

mpjesse

Splendid
First off, the formatting of your question in the poll is screwy. Read it back to yourself and think about it.

I believe now is a good time to upgrade. We're finally to the point where the latest generation of video cards (x1600/x1800 & 7800GT/GTX) do not support AGP.

Quad GPU's in SLi will probably always be at a major premium and out of most everyone's price range.

-mpjesse

Sycred

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
First off, the formatting of your question in the poll is screwy. Read it back to yourself and think about it.
-mpjesse

My mistake for not clarifying...Yay for Now, Nay for this time next year

And thx for the info.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
The way I see it, if you can really consider putting off an upgrade for an entire year, then you really don't need to upgrade right now.

The initial AMD processors out on the M2 socket next year are based on the same architecture as the current ones so the only difference is support for DDR2 memory. The performance increase won't be dramatic and certainly not enough to postpone an upgrade if you really need it.

WD has long been rumoured to be releasing larger capacity Raptors. However the performance of 10,000 RPM drives isn't as significant as it may seem. While they do have a response time advantage, the fastest 7200 RPM drives now have sustained performance very similar Raptors. As well, Raptor capacity is only likely to double and is still very small compared to the 500GB+ drives to be released at the same time.

I'm not quite sure why anyone would really need Quad SLI unless they game on one of those 30" Apple Cinema Displays. Dual SLI offers more than enough performance today, especially 2 GeForce 7800GTX 512s although the ATI X1800XT 512 is much easier to find right now. I believe the Crossfire editions are finally available.